Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Salmon is what it is—love it or hate it—I will choose Steelhead Trout every time it’s available over Salmon—I guess too many croquettes growing up—
    Never heard of fresh Salmon @ Charleston either—

Fresh mullet is great at our house—

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    new grill grates arrived, pork tenderloin disappeared in 2 meals :)

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My MIL had friends visit so my wife made her shrimp and grits. It was great. I was the sous chef.

• Like Like x 3
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Bolognese sauce is simmering to perfection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The next time I have a whole mullet I will gut it, take the meat out and debone it, mash the meat with veggies (bell pepper, tomato, and whatever I have around), stuff it back into the fish, sew it back together, and bake it.

I have no idea if it will be good or not, but I think that it would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Fresh mullet we liked fried or smoked--and we like the red roe too--

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I recall fishing with my dad off the Pacific coast of Mexico many years ago in a ratty boat. We were not staying anywhere where we could cook our catch, but just went out to do some fishing.

We caught quite a few, but I recall we caught a lot of barracuda. I was shocked that these were some of the first fish taken by the kids wanting to take our catch home. Ciguatera is not a problem there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Q-ing a mess of chicken legs candied with some Pat's for dinner tonight.

Also making a kale salad with red onion, English cuke, and some haricot verts (just fancy French green beans). It is time to clean out the vegetable crisper.

I was going to make black beans and rice but we are out of black beans in the pantry. I'll think of some other way to dress up the rice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making sloppy joes tonight. I do a fairly standard rendition, but with two twists. I first properly caramelize the onion (that takes about 45 minutes) and I also sweat the bell pepper. (Not everyone uses bell pepper, but I do.) I also cut the ketchup with bbq sauce about 50/50. My stock of Pat's is getting low so I will use up the remnants of some Stubb's that I used for something that I can't remember.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--
    We are up at Alan's and we grilled chicken quarters last night--he's having trouble finding Pat's Ho-made up here too now but he picked up a same size bottle of Everglades Mopping Sauce that we used and it is quite comparable to Pat's in both texture and taste--same folks that make the Everglades Seasoning--

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--
    When you sweat your bell peppers do you pull that sheath of skin off of them before continuing on? I picked that up from a next door neighbor that cooked a lot of Mexican years ago--to me it kinda jump starts their flavor--

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I do that sometimes buy blistering the skin over high heat. I didn't do that last night.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Well, Alan's house--Alan's grill--so the last two nights we have picked up boneless rib eyes, fresh asparagus, and twice baked potatoes--and then chicken quarters, fresh yellow squash & vidalia onions, and wild rice--
    For Tonight I've got a pot of spaghetti sauce smelling up the house--we will have a fresh Caesar salad and fresh deli cheese loaf bread to go with--
    The front porch ice chest is loaded with iced cold longnecks--Life is good--sunsets are blue and orange--what more is necessary?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan is taking her turn tonight--It is just Wednesday but she's making Mama's Sunday pot roast and gravy with home made mashed potatoes--fresh zipper peas and fried cornbread to go with--
    Ice cold longnecks on Alan's front porch go down as smooth as sunset disappears in the tree line--

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are back home and tonight's fare will be grilling hamburger steaks to go along with fresh stewed yellow squash & Vidalia onion and fresh steamed cabbage--

The longnecks have been ice cold today and done a great job in the heat and humidity as well as watching the sun go down--

• Like Like x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    A slab of Baby Back Ribs along with 4 links of Hickory Hollow's finest venison smoked sausage going on the Egg this afternoon over apple wood smoke--we will have fresh field peas w/snaps, fresh stewed yellow squash & Vidalia onion, and home made tater salad--

The back porch Yeti is full of Labor Day Week-end style ice cold longnecks--
    Hope everybody has a great week-end on tap!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    On Saturday I spent all afternoon making posole rojo. Topping choices were shredded cabbage, avocado, diced red radish, diced white onion, queso fresco, epazote, and cilantro.

No leftovers.

Today I am smoking two chickens with apple wood and rubbed under the skin with kosher salt, paprika, freshly ground black pepper and just a touch of cayenne. And I made a big bowl of Carolina slaw with the leftover cabbage from Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we'll have 3/4" thick bone-in center cut pork chops on the grill seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades Seasoning--and of course Pat's Ho-made on the last two turns--grilling bi-color cob corn to go along with a pot of cream 40's & petite butter beans--

Back porch ice cold longnecks are ready-to-go-

19. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Freshman

May 9, 2015
    Bill/Lurk;

Serious question............... With the awesome amount of food you both seem to eat on a daily basis (plus ice cold longnecks) how do you guys not weigh over 300 lbs?????

I mean if I ate half as much as you guys eat they could spray paint "Goodyear" on one side of me and float me up during halftime of football games...........

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Stu--
    From my end I try to stay as active as I can with yard work--I've always been a heavy sweat guy so I try to take on a lot of water outside working to stay hydrated but keep that "full" feeling at the same time--"cool down beers" are after I'm through working--I usually eat a light breakfast with black coffee, just try to snack on some fruit at lunch, and have my good meal for supper--Ms Jan is diabetic so we've both gone to whole wheat breads and when we do use potatoes we try to use red potatoes--trying to stay away from the starches as much as we can optioning for a third vegetable if we think we're that hungry--Mich Ultras for me on the col'beers--
    I'm 6'7" so truthfully in the summer I stay 282-290 and in the winter usually a lil' heavier--290-300--Ideally I'd like to see 275-285 year-round--

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1