Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I need to annotate my carnitas recipe. It says that it takes 1.5 to two hours to simmer, but it always takes me about 3.5 hours. I guess they boil and and I actually simmer on low as it should be done.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Been eating sandwiches at La Familia since it opened back when i was working campaigns Terry catered nearly all of events for my candidates, he still drives from Tampa with exactly the same fixins you get at the silver ring cafes in ybor. I remember the place in Thronbrook but not the name - probably significant that neither of us can remember the name, I like mi apa food but the place is a little too hustle bustle for me I like to eat in a bit quieter atmosphere

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I usually get take-out from there and eat at home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--

The difference between "supper's ready" and--"Mmmmm Mmmmm Good"--

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Going to be grilling thick cut center cut pork chops tonight (seasoned with coarse black pepper and Legg's Plantation Brown Sugar sweet B-B-Q rub) with yes, you guessed it, Pat's Ho-made on the last two turns. Fresh stewed yellow squash and vidalia onions, and fresh steamed cabbage to go with--

Back porch Yeti was topped off with longnecks and ice yesterday evening so the cook will be set for the afternoon/evening--

• Like Like x 2
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The house is filling up early with the smell of a simmering big pot of spaghetti sauce today--I love the fact that I have a greatly enhanced recipe over the years thanks to a 3rd generation back yard Italian neighbor lady--we will have fresh classic romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes with and we'll finish off that loaf of Asiago Cheese bread we brought back from Joe-Patti's--

The back porch Yeti is full of iced down longnecks waiting for the good times to roll--

• Like Like x 2
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I had about a pound and one half of boneless pork shoulder left over from making carnitas the other night, so I decided to make thinly sliced Korean pork shoulder (pork bulgogi). The pork shoulder was frozen so letting it sit out for a short while made it easy to slice thin. It is marinading now. Having a good Asian market allowed me to get a decent gochujang (fermented red pepper paste, very much different from a Thai red chili paste).

I am going back and forth for cooking it on a hot skillet of grilling it or a fine copper mat. The spacing on my grill is much too wide without the copper mesh mat.

Cook it up, add some rice, and roll into a Napa cabbage leaf and you have something very tasty.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I cooked it on a big skillet in the kitchen.

OMG, that was so good!

• Like Like x 2
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I got some brown turkey figs today so tonight I am making thin pork chops in a fig/cream/shallot/balsamic sauce. A simple salad and garlic mashed potatoes (using russets because I have them instead of my preferred Yukon golds for mashed potatoes).

A little too beige on the plate for spectacular presentation, but it will taste just fine.

The only leftover from last night was a chicken leg left over from the night before. I ate that for lunch today.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I'll be grilling chicken halves using coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning with Pat's Ho-made on the last two turns--fresh stewed yellow squash and Vidalia onion and fresh zipper peas to go along with and some toasted sunflower seed bread--

The longnecks are iced and anxiously awaiting my arrival on the back porch--life is good--

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    leftovers & sandwiches the rest of the week, wife left yesterday for a conference back Saturday, kitchen will reopen then

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making pho tonight. Lots of prep for the base stock. I started three hours ago and still have an hour to go. I like taking my time on this step.

Cooking the vermicelli noodles is really simple but you must get the timing right. The additions to the pho will be steamed baby bok choy, daikon radish, shrimp, sliced scallions, and pickled ginger.

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I used two bottles of Pat's last Friday grilling about 40 chicken legs for a pool party. We were pool sitting for a friend and invited a few folks over to enjoy teh pool and some cooking.

The bad thing is that it put a serous dent on my supply of Pat's as Publix no longer carries it.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Dave--they're still carrying it in Tallahassee and Dothan--were they just out or did they pull the product tags off the shelf? Do you have more than one store to check with?

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We've had black-eyed peas soaked and cooking all day to go along with fresh yellow stewed squash & Vidalia onion and fresh zipper peas--homemade fried cornbread on the side--On the grill it will be thick cut bone-in pork chops seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning and of course Pat's Ho-made will show up for the last two turns--

The ice cold longnecks kicked off mid-afternoon after a hot day of yard work and a good refreshing shower complimented by comfortable clean clothes--life is good--Gator life is better--

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The Publix's around here no longer have Pat's on their inventory list.

I have been told that I can make a special order to get it but if I am going to that bother I wonder if I could order it by the case directly.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Wow--be worth looking in to--the info on the bottle is:
    Manufactured by--Palmetto Canning Company, P.O. Box 155, Palmetto, Fl. 34220
    www.palmettocanning.com

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan and myself are on the road again to go help Kayla & Tim get moved back to Jasper, Ga. as Their AA season is winding down so my cooking will be limited until we get back to Alan’s in Jasper—Keep things stirred well—

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dodging the rain and keeping it simple: beer can chicken, Caesar salad, mashed potatoes.

I have been on an Asian kick lately. Last night I started some pickled daikon and carrot. Very Vietnamese, but also used all over east Asia. My wife couldn't believe the amount of water I poured out before I sealed it up for the frig, but that is important. Daikon has a huge amount of water in it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have been binge watching Anthony Burdain's CCN show on Netflix and today watched his episode from Charleston. I have some issues with the show's depiction about fish. They said that grouper, snapper, tuna, and salmon were great, and they are, but where are they getting fresh caught salmon in Charleston? And then they were talking about eating trash fish. One of the "trash" fish they were eating was trigger fish. OMG. Trigger fish is awesome to eat.

They were also talking about eating whiting. Nothing wrong with the flavor, but it is really bony. If somebody preps it, and that requires removing all the bones, and cooks it for me I have no problem with it. It tastes about the same as cod. But it is a lot of work to prep.

Heck, I love smoked mullet and there are very few fish trashier than that.

• Agree Agree x 1