Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    just got my request for a broccoli & Cheddar quiche tomorrow,

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    jjh--

I imagine I'll get mine shortly after I cook Ms. Jan breakfast--;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    the best part is that I will make it big enough so it will be her lunch Wednesday and maybe Thursday :) that will feed her if I head up to Tallahassee Native Nursery one of those days

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Summer time hot--

It will be grilled wings and a cold cut tray tonight here--if you don't do this and you grill wings as opposed to oven or fry--cut them up about 2 hours ahead and leave them in a sink of cold water with a little ice added--the fresh cut ends will absorb water and they will grill much more moist and tender--

P.S. I love everything 'bout a col'beer--;)--and a Bloody Mary, and a good Kentucky bourbon, and--

5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    tonight getting away with left over broccoli quiche :) but got a firm request for spinach quiche next week... and tabbouleh & hummus for the weekend

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Taco Bean Soup here tonight topped with Sargento shredded Tex-Mex cheese, sour cream, and fresh cut jalapenos with scoop tortilla chips on the side--

Ice cold longnecks are a must--

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    On vacation in Oregon. Spending several days in the Willamette valley wine country and then off to the coast for a family reunion thing (wife's side). I will be cooking for 20+ on Monday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    plans changed tabbouleh & hummus prepared for today, many compliments after lunching on the duo, not bad if I do say so myself

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Finishing off the pot of spaghetti sauce from earlier in the week tonight--always better when it's set a couple of days--fresh classic romaine salad with vine ripe tomatoes and baked sunflower bread to go with--

And yes, folks, it was plenty hot enough today to enjoy those ice cold longnecks as the day went on--

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Monday's cooking for 20 worked out well. It was a little tricky because dinner needed to be done at 7 and we didn't get access to the "big house" where all the cooking would be done until 4:30. And it was in a totally unfamiliar kitchen and a grill I had never used before so I didn't know where on the grill was hotter and colder.

I made lemony potato salad with 10 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes. To get that done in time meant that I peeled, cooked, and cubed the potatoes early in the morning at the place we were staying in Yamhill, Oregon. I had to cook the potatoes in stages as we didn't have a large soup pot to work with. I then chilled them in the freezer and kept them on ice in an insulated bag all day.

The 18 chicken drumsticks were started on a large gas grill (being pressed for time we opted for that instead of cooking on the Weber kettle with charcoal) tended to by my wife, who likes to baste with BBQ sauce from the beginning while I prefer only basting toward the end (I'll forgive her for this and they turned out very well anyway), while I finished the potato salad adding about a cup of chopped chives, a whole head of sliced celery, the zest and juice from a large lemon, and a jar of nice mayo.

Then 12 brats added to the grill followed by 10 burgers after the brats and chicken were done and also three veggie burgers. Some of the burgers were topped with cheese. I had to do a head count for how many wanted cheese burgers.

18 freshly shucked ears of corn went into a number of pots of boiling water on the stove. No clock or timer in the kitchen so I had my older son keep track of the corn cooking time with his smartphone. I couldn't do them all at once so they were done in two stages. My other helpers also made a big green salad and it was great.

In the melee we couldn't find the jar of raw sauerkraut we bought for the brats. I guess it is somewhere getting better with time. The brats were OK with only brown mustard, though.

There was some leftover potato salad and drumsticks. The potato salad is slowly disappearing and the drumsticks have probably fallen prey to my youngest son.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    impressive performance and not a bad pbp as well, hope your efforts were deeply appreciated

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As they say on the ball field--

"Tip of the cap" Sir Lurker--:ninja3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Many humble thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Went to my W/D this afternoon with grilling thick cut center-cut pork chops on my mind to go along with grilled bi-color cob corn and fresh asparagus--only to find no center-cut pork chops--never fear, same menu held, I just had to go with 1 1/2" thick boneless ribeyes--I like making adjustments while the pitch count's running--;)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling wings using coarse black pepper and EverGlades Seasoning with a cold veg tray tonight--

The longnecks are iced and they are plentiful--

Might have to dig out an '05 Regional, SR, or CWS DVD to watch since there's no Gator Baseball tonight--:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Everglades is good seasoning :) good choice

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It is good to be back home and in my own kitchen.

Thai-style clam soup tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Finishing off the evening with some nice grappa.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight will be pork tenderloin marinaded in a ginger teriyaki sauce cooked in the oven. Some broccoli sauteed in a wok and some rice to go with it.

And having leftover pork means that escarole soup is up for tomorrow night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I'll be grilling chicken halves here tonight--we'll have butter beans & sweet corn to go with along with fresh steamed cabbage and a potato casserole--

Iced cold longnecks are part of summer, right??;)

As I look at this as family here, we lost my Mama last night, but she no longer suffers and is at peace--she was 94 years young but she missed Daddy every day since Nov. 14th, 2004--she is surely with him now catching up on things between them--"Can't nobody steals your memories"...J.K. Horne, Jr. RIP JK and Grace...

• Friendly Friendly x 1