Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Great Mexican chicken dish is Mole'. You should try that.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Try it? The professor likely invented it!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    @GatorLurker--

Last night I used coarse black pepper and Everglades Seasoning over applewood smoke for my BeerCan Chicken--
    On the Egg I usually am 340-350 degrees and on a 3-3 1/2 lb bird it runs about 1:30hrs and it's ready--

And as you know, it's fall-off-the-bone tender.

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I make mole I use the recipe from Fonda San Miguel in Austin. It is a lot of work so I don't make it very often.

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling 3/4" thick bone-in center cut pork chops with Pat's ho-made on the last two turns and bi-color cob corn with a pot of fresh green beans & new potatoes going on inside--

It'll be back porch ice cold longnecks and watching the sun go down today--

Wonder what the po'folks are doing--;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    These po'folks are in the finishing stages of making an ox-tail ragu. What was once Italian peasant food is now something you can find on the menu of a trendy restaurant in a trendy neighborhood in foodie big city like Chicago, where incidentally I have had it served to me in exactly that manner.

When I was a kid ox-tail was really cheap and my mom used it to make some really good soups. I used to watch and talk about the "dinosaur bones". Alas, it is not cheap anymore. Same thing with flank steak. I like the former because the meat is so decadently rich. I like the later because it is really lean and is perfect for stir-fry.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    My big pot of spaghetti sauce has been simmering a couple of hours now--starting to smell up the house good--fresh salad with vine ripe tomatoes as the side along with multi-grain bread with generously applied garlic butter and toasted--

Ice cold longnecks this afternoon as always--and a bottle of Josh Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon to go with the meal--

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan is doing her pot roast & gravy today--

I'll kick in home-made mashed potatoes, cream 40's & petite butter beans, and fried cornbread--

And hopefully for desert we will have a SWEEP!

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I could go for that. Some corn broom to go with that cornbread would be very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I didn't get to make posole rojo yesterday. <insert crying emoji here> We were invited to a party and instead made a big platter of caprese salad and took some Anderson Valley Pinot Noir that we had put into out wine cellar for a couple of years. As a bonus we were able to tune in the Gator baseball game after the Kentucky Derby was over.

Today my wife told me that we had too much left over chorizo in the frig and to do something with it. And luck would have it medium shrimp with the shells was on sale at Publix. The Publix shrimp is OK as a flavor in a dish, but I wouldn't use it as the main point of a dish like in a shrimp boil.

So I am making a paella with shrimp and chorizo as the major protein components.

Currently making the stock with shrimp shells, the chorizo "ends", garlic, celery, onion, coriander seeds, red pepper flake, bay leaf, etc.

I don't have the correct bomba rice, but I do have arborio. I will need to make sure that I use the right amount of liquid or else I and those I feed will be sadly disappointed. It isn't quite the same, but it can be used to good effect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Made regular tacos yesterday. At least that was the plan, but 22 year old son ate most of the taco meat right out of the skillet on the stove before dinner. GRRR! So today I am getting a bit fancier and making tacos al pastor. It took a trip to the Latin market to get the correct dried peppers. Think of it as pork loin tacos with grilled pineapple. Also made a chipotle and New Mexico chili salsa as a topping.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling chicken halves and bi-colored cob corn on Kingsford charcoal (specified for you @wingtee) tonight with Pat's Ho-made on the last two turns--

Fresh tossed salad with vine ripe tomatoes as the other side--

Ice cold longnecks in a full Yeti on the back porch--

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Keeping it simple for the Friday evening start--

Grilling Ground Chuck Cheeseburgers with fresh lettuce and tomatoes and chips--

The Friday night amount of ice cold longnecks are in the Yeti--

Go Gators!

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Relegated to ball park food tonight. I wonder what food trucks will be there.

15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Ate a sandwich before the game.

Made victory margaritas after the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Going to be fried catfish, cheese grits, cole slaw and fresh salad with vine ripe tomatoes tonight--

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Raining all day here makes it a home-made soup day--going with Taco Bean Soup but using chicken instead of beef--

Shaved Vidalia onion, pressure cooked and then shredded chicken breasts (3 lbs), the broth from the pressure cooker in place of needed water (3 cups), 2 cans each Black Beans, Dark Red Kidney Beans, Pinto Beans, Rotel Tomatoes, and 1 can each of Yellow and White Whole Kernel Corn, 2 Pkg Taco Seasoning, 1 Pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dip--

We top it off with Tortillas Chips, shredded cheese of your choice, sour cream, and fresh sliced jalapenos peppers--

Ice Cold longneck Pacificos are the choice today--

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Still wet here today--going with an inside supper--fried cubed steak, fresh steamed cabbage, fresh zipper peas, white rice & rotel tomatoes--

Back porch ice cold longnecks are TailGatoring even as we speak--uhh--type--

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Really wet here in Gainesville today as well.

Keeping it simple tonight: Grilling knockwurst and andouille just before first pitch. Also have some good sauerkraut for those that want it on their knockwurst or as a side.

Since it has been so wet I am nursing a dry martini (Boodles gin) instead of enjoying brews.

Added in edit: One of these days I will make my own sauerkraut. I can remember old ladies in my childhood neighborhood making their own in ceramic crocks with wooden lids. It was so good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Today I am making Bolognese sauce to serve over orecchiette with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan. I cheat and use bacon instead of pancetta as it is cheaper and less salty. I also don't use any ground veal and instead use extra ground chuck. So instead of equal parts ground pork, ground veal, and ground beef I use 1/3 ground pork and 2/3 ground chuck.

But I do use San Marzano tomatoes.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1