Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I had half of a huge head of cabbage left over from making pulled pork for pulled pork sandwiches.

Tonight I am making caramelized cabbage (using olive oil instead of butter) with penne and breadcrumbs seasoned with garlic, anchovies and butter. I got the recipe from the NYT a few years back, but it needed a lot of tweaking. The original recipe said that you can caramelize the cabbage in ten to fifteen minutes. That is not correct. I have been slow sauteing the cabbage for over 90 minutes and it isn't really caramelized as of yet.

It is truly worth it to take your time caramelizing anything. For example, properly caramelized onions taste nothing like quickly sauteed onions. It is all about the chemistry of cooking. It really is science.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    spanish bean soup ala The Columbia, simple and tasty......

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Anything ala The Columbia is often awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    one of my favorite places to eat, Ybor City, Celebration (a different ambiance) or St Aug. Always get their 1906 salad then decide between the vegatarian paella (I don't eat seafood) or the roast pork ala cubana :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Jambalaya with Hickory Hollow's finest venison smoked sausage tonight--

Wish everybody was here--:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    We had chicken meatballs for dinner. Of course made from scratch. My wife adds jalapeños to the meatballs and the sauce is an arrabiatta sauce with freshly minced garlic and more jalapeños.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My son does not eat my caramelized cabbage, so he had penne with arrabiatta sauce. I asked him if he wanted a wet tray.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Getting this series started with grilling pork loin bone-in country cut ribs seasoned with Everglades Seasoning and coarse black pepper finishing the last two turns brushing on some Pat's Ho-made, fresh field peas w/snaps, and Dixie Lily yellow rice dinner topped off with Rotel tomatoes--

As always, ice cold longnecks are in the back porch Yeti for the cook and any helpers that may stop by--

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    With a 7 PM start we can eat a quick meal at home before going to the game and avoid ball park food. Tonight I am making a creamy pasta sauce with sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers with some garlic and a little red pepper flake. I just finished peeling and deveining a pound of shrimp that will be incorporated into the pasta dish.

A simple salad of mixed greens with a ripe tomato and a baguette will accompany.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lurk--

If We didn't have the family obligations we do, I would gladly give up the grill to be able to walk into the stadium on a regular basis--but we'll pull just as hard as if we were there--:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I missed this post.

That sounds off the chain good.

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--

It was pretty sporty--sure didn't have to worry about any leftovers either--:rolleyes:

13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I thought I'd try my hand at Bourbon Chicken tonight--

I've got half the bottle of bourbon drank--but I can't find the chicken--;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    "drank"? Is that anything like purple drank?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is making shrimp and grits. It is almost 9:30, but I can wait.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight it is beer can chicken and collard greens. If you think that is poor folks food you have never had my beer can chicken nor my wife's collard greens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--

My Dad's quote on that meal (or any like it) was--

"I wonder what the po'folks are doing tonight"?:)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Last night was grilled tilapia. Fresh squeezed lime and chili extra virgin olive oil plus a sprinkling of cayenne pepper. After it is grilled, we put a little salsa on top which is cherry tomatoes, coriander and minced garlic.

For the side, grilled asparagus lightly coated in olive oil and sea salt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Last night it was grilled 1 1/2" thick boneless ribeyes, baked potatoes, and fresh salad w/vine-ripe tomatoes.
    Multi-grain bread and ice cold longnecks to go with--

And Thanks @GatorLurker--I was trying to decide how I wanted to cook chicken tonight and you decided that for me--
    Been a while, so Beer Can Chicken it is with fresh zipper peas and rice topped with Rotel tomatoes--

Since the Egg will be working I guess I'll have to sit out on the back porch and monitor things with the appropriate number of cold ones---;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    How did it work out?

My favorite way to cook chicken is to smoke it, but that takes a long time and if I am going to the bother it will be at least two birds. Or if I am smoking something else and have room I might throw a chicken in there. Beer can chicken sounds "low rent", but if you do it right it is better than very good. I vary the spice rub that I use depending on my mood and the spice rub goes mostly under the skin with a little on the outside and some in the beer. For a typical bird it will take around 1 hour and 10 minutes to "beer can" and four hours to smoke.

Tonight we are using some leftovers from our most recent beer can chicken as well as some skinless chicken thighs that I have just poached for shredding to make chicken enchiladas tonight. I think that I will save the poaching liquid (I only used onion. Often I add bay leaf.) for making cream of celery soup tomorrow. I had to buy a whole head of celery to get one stalk for Monday's rice pilaf so that is my excuse. I am also getting a hankering for braising oxtail, shredding the meat, and serving it over bucatini with a light sprinkle of sea salt. It is a very rich and deeply flavored dish to be served with a "study" wine. And the celery soup would be a great first course for that.

Also thinking about Saturday with it being Cinco de Mayo. Perhaps posole rojo. It takes all afternoon, but it is party food and I love it. And my famous margaritas for sure.

Last edited: May 2, 2018