Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I made carnitas today. Home made is way better than what you get at Chipotle and most Mexican restaurants. And I made pico de gallo and a "taco shop" guac that is about half tomatillos and half avocado for the green part with serrano peppers, garlic, onion, and cilantro. It is somewhat hot, but I have to give full disclosure: I am a guy that likes Thai hot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight on the mountain it will be fried shrimp, grilled steelhead trout, and grilled butter-flied rainbow trout.
    We will have fresh made coleslaw, tossed salad, and hush puppies.

The cook will be enjoying ice cold Mich Ultra longnecks, the group has a wide variety of tastes....

And that's ok too!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Back home--

Going with a fresh boneless chuck roast ground today to ground chuck for grilling hamburger steaks, twice-baked potatoes using butter, sour cream and sharp cheddar, and a fresh tossed salad.

And yep, y'all guessed right---ice cold longnecks to go with.:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Opening day good luck meal is set for this evening.

Grilling Chicken halves seasoned with EverGlades Seasoning, coarse black pepper, and dusted with Legg's Plantation Barbecue Seasoning. Pat's Ho-made sauce on the last two turns to candy just right.

Fresh green beans & new potatoes and fresh squash stewed down in shaved Vidalia onion to go with.

The Yeti is stocked with iced down longnecks. And yes it is true---there has never been a born-on date to expire in Bill's cooler...:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Opening night means ball park food, but crappy food tastes better at the ball park.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Today is a 4:00 start so it is too early for a pre-game dinner and too late to cook a nice dinner after the game.

So instead I made pozole verde earlier and will warm it up after the game. This is a great dish to reheat as it is even better the next day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Healthy all the way tonight---

Grilling Opening-the-season-Kick-Ass-style Cheeseburgers with home-made French fries dusted with salt, pepper, and Old Bay's seasoning.

Ice cold longnecks have been in play all day...

Go Gators!

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Week-end Victory celebration supper is smoking rack baby back ribs on the Egg over apple wood smoke. Got 4 full lengths of Hickory Hollow smoked venison sausage to go along with--just because.

Fresh steamed cabbage, home made potato salad, and barbecue baked beans are the sides this trip.

Yeti ice cold longnecks as always...

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Instead of cooking I spent 2.5 hours at the dentist's office today. Tonight will be burgers on the grill.

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tomorrow and Wednesday are 6:00 games. That is too early for me to eat dinner before and too late to cook dinner after. I think that I will have to figure out what I can cook ahead of time for a quick warm-up after the games. Lasagna?

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-

Lasagna's always good--Chicken 'n rice with grilled cheese--any oriental over a bed of rice--hamburger/vegetable soup--white chicken chili--a good meatloaf in cast iron, sliced just right for sandwiches on Texas toast works good here too for a later meal. Just depends on how heavy or light you want it to be...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Longhorn Tonight
    who knows tomorrow and Wednesday

13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Thai style oriental beef over a bed of rice tonight--

Keeping it light and simple--:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am making chicken marsala with some frozen mushrooms that we got as a present.

Almost done.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is an oriental mustard green soup with ground pork, Sichuan peppercorns (hard to find, but worth the effort), and wide rice noodles along with other stuff (ginger, red pepper flakes, cumin, scallions, fish sauce, soy sauce, etc.). The Sichuan peppercorns have this weird mouth numbing effect. I like it.

Also cleaning out the freezer by trying out some frozen oriental dumplings that we got from somewhere. I didn't buy them. I hope they are OK.

I will soon be sharing my phone's ESPN app with my TV to watch the U vs Florida baseball game.

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Home cooked meal tonight to bring home win #2--

Country fried cubed steak, fresh steamed cabbage, and rice topped with diced tomatoes & chilies. Toasted sunflower seed bread with garlic butter will be there too.

It is Saturday #6 in my week so yes, ice cold longnecks have been in play pretty much all day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am just getting used to that string of Saturdays being recently retired.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Big pot of spaghetti sauce has been smelling the house up all day...

Fresh tossed salad with vine ripe tomatoes and baked sunflower seed bread with garlic butter to go with.

And just for gtj31--
    On this Saturday #2---ice cold longnecks are called for...:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife stayed up late yesterday making meatballs for a sick friend of ours. I made the sauce and pasta and took it to him.

My wife says she is making tacos when she gets home. I will not get into the way of that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Except for--

Babe, can I get you another glass of wine while I'm up getting myself a col'beer....;)