Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    y'all come back now, Ya hear!

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it will be Pork Loin Rib-in roast cut into 3/4" thick chops on the charcoal grill. Coarse salt, coarse black pepper, then dust'em with Legg's Plantation Barbeque Seasoning works tonight. Pat's brushed on the last two turns. Fresh green beans & new potatoes, and sweet whole kernel corn with real butter cooked in to go with.

The sun is shining and the sky is blue--so ice cold longnecks it is!!:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I couldn't care less about the Super Bowl, but we are having folks over for the game (mostly cord cutters that can't get the game) and I am doing the cooking tomorrow.

Slabs of St. Louis cut ribs are rubbed with mustard and dry rub and sitting in the frig. Made enough extra rub for finishing the ribs as well. Bought everything for making Carolina slaw (apple cider vinegar based) tomorrow morning as it is much better if it sets up for most of the day. I like it way better than mayo based slaws and I don't add as much sugar as a traditional Carolina slaw. I also use a heavy hand adding the celery seeds. Also got all the ingredients for making a poblano and potato gratin. That is labor intensive, but really good. I will not get much rest from starting to smoke the ribs and starting the potato prep. I could have made a potato salad instead keeping with the BBQ theme, but decided not to do that. I am not a big fan of potato salad except for German potato salad.

Stellas and Goose Island IPA will be served. I will probably get into that after the potatoes go into the oven. Alcohol and mandolines don't mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight Ms. Jan is doing her homemade meatloaf in the Dutch Oven with new potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and gravy. To go along with is a pot of fresh green beans and fried cornbread.:)

Like Lurk, tomorrow--have nothing to do with SB Sunday but it is there, I will be smoking indirect over applewood smoke, a half boneless pork loin seasoned with coarse black pepper, Everglades seasoning, and dusted with Legg's Plantation Brown Sugar Sweet BBQ Rub. We will have mashed potatoes & gravy, fresh yellow squash & onions, and crescent rolls to go along with.

The longnecks are already iced in the Yeti on the Back porch--and if you come by to help you have to stay the remainder of the day...:cool:

Makes me wonder what the po'folks are doing tomorrow....:p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was wondering if wingtee was going to see that I had Stellas and make a trip to Gainesville. If he is I'll have to buy some more.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am thinking that I just might get some Pat's Ho Made to finish some of the ribs. My wife is from Cincinnati and she likes her ribs wet (Kansas City style like they had at the Montgomery Inn. She used to work there way back when.) instead of dry (Memphis style) like I like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-

I like to pull ribs @ 3 hours, dabble tupelo honey over them, wrap'em in HD Aluminum, and put them back on the smoker 1 more hour and let the honey work it's magic...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I will try this with one slab and see how it goes. The rest will get the regular treatment: more rub about 30 minutes out to get a nice spicy and caramelized crust over the juicy meat. I have some awesome tupelo honey to use on it.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tupelo is without question the best honey IMHO. Hope you like the ribs that way.

10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Dang Bill... open up something ! You can fish it , kill it , skin it , cook it ,and damn sure eat it . With the help of a cooler full of necks

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    They were awesome and none of them were left over.

I agree on tupelo and not all tupelos are the same. They range from great to awesome.

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ours comes mostly from Blountstown and sometimes from Wewa.:)

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I try to get some locally whenever I am around Wewa.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Bacon wrapped filet mignon tonight. Getting out the old cast iron skillet for a quick sear and then a short trip to a 450 F oven.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-

In the words of wing---"Did you say bacon?":)

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We're up at Alan's for a few days--

We'll be putting a full brisket on his big smoker late tonight for Friday pm.
    There will be a crowd so I don't really know about all the side dishes as the girls are in charge of sides.
    I do know that there will be an option for shaved brisket-au/jus hoagies with Swiss and Provolone cheeses and carmelized onions.

Tonight we're grilling pork loin bone-in chops with baked potatoes and grilled asparagus.

There is a noticeable chill in the air as I enjoy an ice cold longneck this afternoon, so I am sure that there will be a tumbler of Elijah Craig Small Batch Ky Straight Bourbon to enjoy this evening.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Too late to make it (it takes three days), but I like caraway pickle chips with smoked brisket.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't get me going on caramelized onions. Every recipe I have ever seen says that it takes only a few minutes, but in my experience it takes more like 45 minutes to an hour to do them correctly. Browning onions is not the same as caramelizing them.

And it is worth the entire time to do it right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Y'all, I gotta be real truthful----

These ice cold afternoon longnecks go down awfully smooth sitting 'round the smoker with this brisket smelling up the mountain....:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1