Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Well hell Lurk—I thought that was an exquisite post!:ninja3:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is more chicken enchiladas as we have lots of leftovers and very little tequila. I told my wife that if she wants margaritas again she will need to stop by ABC on the way home.

And there won't be two rounds like last night as we only have three limes left and five people.

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Rainy all day here off and on--look for more tomorrow as the storm rumbles N/NE so the kitchen's closed tonight.

We will pick up from Fat John's Pizza and that will go great with the back porch ice cold longnecks and chilled wine.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Looking worse and worse for Gainesville with the tropical storm. We do need a new roof and I am glad that we just didn't put a new one on recently. Ours is we think over 50 years old and metal and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately it was put on over a substrate for a cedar shake roof so that the underlayment has gaps and you can't put an asphaltic roof over that. Tearing all that off and putting down plywood is too expensive versus just putting back a metal roof that will last longer anyways.

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lurk, after Hurricane Michael out our way if damaged roofs needed replacing (shingles or metal) if you were going back with metal most contractors would take a look at leaving the older roof in place for support/strengthening of the new metal roof. Of course you have to know what you’re looking at to make that call.

It can save on labor (for tearing the old roof off and hauling off) as well as materials.

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My metal roof is really old school and nobody does it that way any more. It was metal square panels. Really good. It was old when we bought our house in the mid-80's and is borderline for repairing versus replacing. Most of the problems are flashing, but it is showing rust.

I just want to get it right and start fixing things below that.

The walls near my youngest son near the fireplace have some water damage. Fix the roof first and then correct that.

That is the correct way to do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't know what dinner is tonight. I would like Thai take out, but we still have lots of left over smoked chicken so I can shred it and cook some rice and cobble together a salad pretty quickly.

It has been raining all day and most of the time pretty hard. I What's Apped a friend that has a house here that he Air BnB's but lives in San Diego about it because last time we had this much rain I caulked his back door to keep the water out of his lowest floor that had his guitar collection. I hope the caulk is still good.

Not seeing the winds in downtown Gainesville that the airport has been seeing and that is good. And not as bad as predicted anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    We live a mile north of the football stadium and I was also surprised to read about the winds at the airport

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinner will be made by my SIL visiting from France using left over smoked chicken to make a salad.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re finishing off the pot of chili I made the other day.

Scattered showers and thunder rumbling today but no real severe weather. Hope everyone that had the storm to deal with faired ok.

Back porch ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are available as desired.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is evening we do Thai take out.

For the first time in my 67 years on Earth I needed what my dental office calls a deep cleaning. Apparently there is some tarter buildup under my gum line. They do this in four sessions doing one quadrant at a time. Numbing my upper right side with a martini as I type this. Monday afternoon is Round 2 with martinis on the menu.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I bought my house in '96 and at that time the asphalt shingle roof was fairly new. It held up pretty good going through all the hurricanes with little damage. Matthew did blow a few shingles off and I got some money from FEMA for that. It was finally time to replace last year and I considered doing it myself with no tear off - just metal over existing shingle. Then I began thinking about resale value and how much better the house would be presented with a "complete" job. So I paid a local contractor and went with aluminum standing seam. I'm glad I went this route because some of the plywood was rotted underneath so we got all that replaced, got new underlayment, and a roof that will exceed my lifetime. Especially with the coastal proximity, aluminum was the way to go.

IMG_7491.JPG

13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We’ve got a late afternoon thunder-boomer going on right now, nevertheless I’m going to be grilling BBQ chicken halves tonight.

Inside we are going to finish up the pot of green beans and new potatoes and cob corn. I’ve also got some of the W/D BBQ Baked beans as well.

The ice cold longnecks and chilled wine go down just fine even when it’s raining.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Made a calamari salad for tonight's dinner. Lots of grape tomatoes, red onion, celery, Kalamata olives, flat leaf parsley and olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

I was out of Sauvignon blanc wine so I chilled some Gary Ferrell chardonnay instead. Not the perfect wine pairing, but it is a nice Russian River chardonnay. Almost used some Trisaetum dry Riesling from Oregon. Some day there will be a NY Times article about how fantastic this wine is and then I won't be able to afford it anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    By request I am making oxtail ragu served over rigatoni. I saw a guy take the last oxtail out at my Publix so I had to wait for the butcher to cut me some and he cut me really nice pieces. All very meaty and no tiny end pieces that are almost all bone. No other meat from a steer (it really isn't an ox tail) is anywhere near as sweet. I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive unlike what it was during my childhood. Same with flank steak and brisket.

I will sauté some rabe (rapini) as a side.

Probably pair this with some Rhone style wine from just west of Paso Robles. There is some outstanding wine from around there. L'Aventure and Villa Creek make some amazing wine.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Today we’ve had a high of 88* but our heat index was 99*—and that’s all I got to say about that…;)

Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke with Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we will have a pot of fresh crowder peas, okra, and rice pilaf. There will be a basket of fresh jalapeño cornbread on the side.

The back porch is restocked with ice cold longnecks and chilled wine and ready for the late afternoon/evening activities.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    <joke>I still want to know what ribs are without bones. Bone-in should be redundant.</joke>

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Damn, my house smells good.

Ox tails braised in red wine, chicken stock, and tomato sauce with onions and fresh thyme is smelling great.

Almost time to take them out of the oven and pull the ox tails before shredding and then put back into the sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lol, I agree, I just write it that way because the W/D meat cutters print the price sticker out that way on two different style cuts—bone-in country cut ribs (cut from the loin), and bone-in country style ribs (cut from Boston butts) nowhere near as tender…

They also offer the country cut ribs boneless.

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going with grilling hamburger steaks as I was able to get a boneless chuck roast ground today at our W/D. Doing them like my Dad always liked—along with salt and pepper I’m taking freshly sliced vidalia onion, green bell pepper, and vine ripe tomatoes and laying them on the top of the hamburger steaks. At each time to turn I simply slide the vegetables off the meat onto a plate, turn the steaks over and return the vegetables to the top side of the meat again.

You get those tastes/flavors cooked into the meat as well as have fresh steamed vegetables to go with.

We will also have baked potatoes and a freshly made Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes.

Plenty hot today but got all the grass cut and the weed-eating done. Yes, the ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are a plus this afternoon/evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2