Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is what I have, but don't take my word for it for being great:

It does make your knives at a 15 degree blade. If you have old European blades they will be at 20 degrees but if you are patient you can get your old blades to that standard. Newer European blades are at the 15 degree Japanese standard.

2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    OK thanks!

How would it work for a 'serrated' blade like these?

[​IMG]

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Kind of.

The last pass is a strapping pass, but not really good at honing serrated blades. I just buy a good bread knife every 20 years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I just did a quick search and found my answer:

"There is no do-it-yourself option for sharpening Double-D edges. However, they can be sharpened at our factory or by a Cutco-certified sharpening representative in your home."

and.....

"Cutco offers a blade sharpening service under The Forever Guarantee at its factory in Olean, New York. The results achieved after professional sharpening are impressive."

5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Cutco makes a decent knife. Many years ago one of the college kids that we rented to was trying to make some extra scratch selling Cutco products and wanted to give us a sales pitch. When he saw that we had a nice assortment of Henckel's he was despondent. But we did feel sorry for him and bought the Cutco kitchen shears and they were great.

Somehow they walked off.

I rarely use kitchen shears (nice for spatchcocking a chicken) and bought some really cheap ones. Kind of like going to Harbor Freight for a tool you might use once or twice as opposed to buying a pro tool for a job that you do a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I guess shears are a more heavy duty scissors and I don't have any except the ones I use to cut sheet metal that stay in my tool box. Just used them yesterday when I repaired a sling chair and needed a small piece of metal to serve as a patch where corrosion had enlarged the original hole. Worked great and now I have an extra chair for outside. It was one someone was throwing out in my Mom's neighborhood. I bring home a lot of stuff.....lol.

I do have tons of scissors and use them all the time. Sometimes it seems they are as useful as a hammer.

Going to bake some chicken thighs tonight....just to throw in a little food content....:)

I'm still on cloud 9 from that win over KY in basketball yesterday. That was just epic!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    You really need three different ones. One for straight cuts and one for cuts going left and one for cuts going right.

IIRC they are called snips and not shears, but I might be wrong on that. It has been a lot of years, but I do have all three versions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yep....I got those. Left and Right and Straight. Bought 'em last year after getting a metal roof installed. Figured they'd come in handy with all the left over panels and pieces - and they did! I've built some shelters with the extra panels and still have a fair amount left.

But I also have shears like these, which is what I used yesterday:
    [​IMG]

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I get it—
    Right turn =col’beer
    Left turn =bourbon
    Straight =ice water

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Just a little Cold War humor:

Right turn = moonshine
    Left turn = vodka

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is defrosted and reheated enchiladas with diced tomatoes, diced onion, and finely chopped cilantro toppings. I might use some dried epazote on mine.

On Mondays we have a house cleaner come not so much because we need one, but because she needs the money. We knew her and her husband, but we didn't know that her husband was bipolar and one weekend he was on the depressed side and took his own life. Very sad.

So on Mondays we try to not dirty up the kitchen much so we can enjoy it for a while. It is one day that we often have take out, but heating up stuff in the oven and doing a little chopping is not making a mess.

Tomorrow is grilled lamb kofta kebabs. I will leave the tzatziki sauce to my bride as she just has a way with it that I don't. And she is not Greek. I am not either although @gtj31 could tell you that it is no surprise that a lot of Greeks thought that I was Greek.

Tomorrow I will also make Mexican pickled red onion with the idea that it can be a burger topping for a quick pre-game meal on Wednesday before the FAU game. It is a Rick Bayless recipe and it is spot on and a staple from the Yucatan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    While finely chopping cilantro for tonight's dinner I started thinking about mowing grass. When I was young my dad had a motorized reel mower that he made me use even though it weighted a lot more than I did, and I was "husky", and it did a great job shearing the grass off cleanly, but with the added danger of throwing a rock or piece of a stick right into your face. Then we got a rotary mower that was much safer, but didn't give a good, clean cut. It was very ragged.

Golf courses and sports fields are usually cut with reel type cutters dragged behind a tractor for a very good reason. It gives a superior cut.

That is why I use a knife to chop cilantro and parsley instead of throwing it into my Cuisinart. It is a small difference, but it is a difference. Maybe only I notice it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’ve got a pot of chicken’n’rice. We will also be making grilled cheese sandwiches in the cast iron frying pan.

Overcast, windy, and light rain off and on all day.

Ms. Jan will enjoy her chilled wine inside tonight and I’m in the mood for a tumbler of 1792.....

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The other day I took a good look at our cast iron skillet. It is collectable. Not super collectable but well over the $100 dollar range. I think that my wife got it from her mother who was a "junker" back in the '60's in Ohio.

And we have LOTS of collectable marbles, many of them really old ceramic ones that my MIL bought way back when nobody wanted them. She had/has a good eye.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Did you see the article in Sunday’s NYT about sheet pans? I don’t have any, but I do occasionally bake with a broiler pan and/or cover (always with aluminum foil lining

• Like Like x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Going along with an all day rain day we’ll be cooking inside tonight for our supper.

We are having freshly fried catfish, cheese grits, Ms. Jan’s homemade coleslaw, and hush puppies.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will compliment our evening meal just fine.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I may have mentioned it here before but I worked for a corporation for 10 years and we were manufacturers and suppliers to the green industry. Including mowers. Had a separate division just for golf course and athletic fields where reel mowers were the primary mowing equipment.

One of our agronomists left his company car at my store for a few days and I used it for a couple days to go back and forth to work instead of our company truck. Dang thing had a reel mower in the trunk I didn't know about. I was wondering what the loud crashing/clunking was in the trunk every time I went around a corner!

Those were a very interesting 10 years - including the 5 years in Ft. Myers when the Twins and Red Sox had fields built there for their spring training. Pretty cool!

In the 60's as a kid growing up in Norfolk my Dad also had a motorized walk behind reel mower but us kids only used the push one to mow our cool season grass for allowance money.

Speaking of sharp objects......here's a informative food related video I enjoyed watching........

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    That was one of the best advertisement videos for, uh, yeah, got it—for rubbing on suntan lotion commercials I’ve ever watched!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have a couple. In fact the lamb kebabs I will be grilling tonight are sitting on one in my frig as I type this. My mom called them cookie sheets because she used them to bake cookies.

My favorite one has a double layered bottom. It makes the cooking surface temperature more uniform.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lurk—

They were called cookie sheets at our house too.

• Agree Agree x 1