Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No emoji available that really says what all that I want to say, but I hope everything goes well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks, Lurk - really appreciate it.

My niece just sent this update:

"He just got out of surgery and the surgeon just came in to let us know. It took longer than expected because of scar tissue from the previous open surgery. He had 3 arteries bypassed again and replaced both valves. There was a lot of infection surrounding the one valve. We will see him in a bit before going home. But he will be sedated and on the ventilator overnight."

I'll take it! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Prayers for your brother’s speedy recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks, Bill. I know it will be a haul but this isn't his first rodeo and he's got some good people helping so hopefully the big man upstairs will let us have him a little longer.

Best!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Well, I took a look at the Publix holiday dinner packages and you still have to do some cooking - it's not like take out. And I bet I can make whatever they make - but even better. So I will proceed with the original plan of making it myself. I don't know what I was thinking there....:confused:

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Baz—

I would never try to talk you out of cooking yourself but since it’s going to be just the two of y’all you might check places like Cracker Barrell or similar places Thanksgiving Day menu for take out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I hear you, Bill and appreciate the input.

I actually enjoy cooking though and don't see this as any big deal, other than the planning part. Once I get things set up it will be SOP pretty much. Like I said - I don't know what I was thinking when I thought about the Publix deal....lapse of good judgement there!

Having the leftovers is also a real benefit! I love leftovers...lol!

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. the bird
    2. stuffing
    3. mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes
    4. gravy
    5. green beans
    6. garden salad incl. black olives
    7. pumpkin pie with whipped cream

Secret weapon here is to make a LOT of gravy so I can smother everything with it! ;)

Everything is easy to make - I just have to get the bird right and we'll be set!

I'm headed to the store later today to get stuff to make slow cooker chicken and dumplings. I'm made them before and they turned out pretty good.

Will also get what I need for turkey day.

Another wonderful weather day here.......72* w/52% humidity and a nice stiff breeze!

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Baz—

Just wondering out loud—

By #2–Stuffing.......you do mean dressing, right?;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are going with a big pot of beef stew—fresh cut up stew meat from boneless chuck roast, red potatoes, vidalia onions, celery, and baby carrots—oh, and Ms. Jan’s definitely in charge of making the gravy that it simmers in.

I will also fry cornbread....

The ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will again be enjoyed on the back porch this afternoon and evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Oops....pardon my faux paux, Bill!

I stand corrected!

:D

And btw.....wondering out loud is a good thing - always - I do most of my wondering that way! ;)

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    This Thanksgiving we will be having dinner with family via Zoom. My oldest son lives in DC and his girlfriend lives in Wilmington, DE and they have not seen each other since the pandemic started. My wife and his girlfriend have bought him a Thanksgiving dinner (feeds four) from Whole Foods that he can pick before the holiday. It is fully cooked, but needs to be warmed up. We plan on seeing his girlfriend and her family and my son via Zoom.

We talked with him via Zoom last Sunday and he is tired of the pandemic and pissed off at co-workers that refuse to wear masks on the job. Even though he has a degree in electrical engineering he opted to become a relay tech for a power company with the idea of transitioning to "regular" engineering after getting a huge helping of real world experience in the field. He wanted to become a "tool using mammal" and learn what the real issues are and not just be book smart. Very old school. And taking as many power grid related classes as he could to get into that field (it can't be outsourced!). Way back in the day kids worked on cars and built radios and stereo amps. No more.

We will also have another Zoom meeting with my family. Depending on meal timings they might be concurrent.

My wife's family might have an early morning Zoom meeting. Many of them live in Europe now (England, France, Germany), but the sister she is closest to lives in Portland, Oregon, so the timing is bad.

Oh, having leftovers tonight just to stay on topic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    LOL—

I sure hope so!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    FYI guys.......was at W/D today and the butcher told me they are having the same 3 day (F,S,Sun.) sale on whole beef tenderloins this weekend. $9.99/lb. They had this monster I was looking at and that's when he mentioned it to me. I picked up my chicken breasts for my slow cooker chicken and dumplings and will make that tomorrow.

I was at the cat food section picking some up for my cat and someone left a large jar of red grapefruit slices on the shelf there - still cold. I'm sure it wasn't by accident. Too much work to put it back where it came from? SMH at people sometimes. I handed it to a W/D associate nearby.

Also good news about my brother, in case it's of any interest (from my niece):

"Just wanted to let everyone know that dad is looking good tonight. He was sedated & intubated until about 1am. So was really groggy this morning but talked to me a lot this evening. He wants everyone to know he is okay. He doesn’t have his phone and won’t be up to talking in the near future but know he is doing okay.
    The heart hospital is really thorough and caring. He has excellent top notch care there. He will possibly be able to have one chest tube removed tomorrow. He is eager to get up and move but she told him no, not yet. Got to make sure things are good and stable. But so good that he is eager to move, Might think differently once he does though! The mitral heart valve pulled out was really infected and they may possibly have some answers tomorrow as to what the infection was. They normally come by in the morning while I have been there so I am eager to know"

Thankful for everyone's prayers!
    Baz

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife will be making risotto tonight. I am currently charring some poblano peppers for making a poblano/tomatillo green enchilada sauce. I will be using the leftover pulled pork for the filling. Of course I had to hide it from my carnivore son so that there would be some left.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just finishing up my Chicken and dumplings....holy cow they turned out good! I decided to add a little more cream of chicken soup to thicken it a bit and dropped by Publix on my way back from HD and the soup aisle was like the center of the universe! No shortage of middle aged ladies all willing to chat about recipes...lol. One of them told me about bacon wrapped chicken breasts in a crock pots lined with chipped beef. That's all I got from her but intrigued by what she said!

Still windy out here. Temperature though is lovely.

I'm having my gas turned on tomorrow. It's natural gas I use only for my furnace. Turn it off in the spring....back on in the fall. Otherwise they ding ya about $20/month.

Got some new landscape lights too and will share more about those later. Color changing stuff....

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    You have got to get a gas cooktop. Electric convection is better as an oven, but a gas cooktop is WAY better than electric and I use my cooktop lots more than my oven.

Added in edit: I have the infrastructure in place for a dual fuel range (gas cooktop and electric convection oven). I have been thinking about doing that for years. I just don't bake enough to justify the cost.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanksgiving cook.

18 pound turkey smoked on the KJ. Getting a fresh turkey from Whole Foods just before the day. Lots of leftovers.

Other stuff like brussels sprouts done in the kitchen. Don't have chestnuts for that version.

Zoom meetings all day with loved ones.

Not what we want, but what we need to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. UF67ee

UF67ee All American

Jul 9, 2007
    Bill........... In the fog of my memory, I remember Mr Floyd having a turkey shoot at Thanksgiving. I think the winners even went home with a live turkey....now this was a looooong time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    We’ve had an LG dual fuel stove for many years. Very convenient, never had problems. Importantly in this part of the world, if the power goes out you can use a match to start the gas burners on top. OTOH our LG refrigerator SUCKS!!!!

Not the time to elaborate, but I minored in US history as an undergrad and MA. The TVA-led fight over gas vs electric in the South starting in the 30s is fascinating. My South Carolina MIL with a doctorate was convinced that a gas stove or heater would explode