Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Chicken tagine last night. Carnitas tonight with freshly made pico de gallo and tomatillo/avocado salsa.

Tomorrow the plan is chopped salad as I have enough to reprise it and need to use it soon. Friday will be pork tenderloin with sautéed red cabbage. Saturday is game day and an 8+ pound pork shoulder will be smoked and pulled. I think that I won't pee before going to bed Friday night so I get a "wake-up" call around 4 AM. I bought the cabbage, sweet onion, and carrots to make Carolina vinegar slaw. I also bought "Ball Park" hamburger buns because for some strange reason the pulled pork sandwiches taste better on crappy buns.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As we all know, unexpected events can tend to lead to unexpected changes. Yesterday afternoon we had a plumbing issue with our kitchen sinks and unfortunately our 25’ snake was not enough to solve the problem. So, the kitchen was shut down and we opted to picking up Cobb Salads topped with fried chicken fingers. Here we have limited options to choose from so we went with Zaxby’s.

So now we are back on track for the meal we planned for yesterday. Tonight we’ve got Ms. Jan’s homemade chicken’n’dumplings.

We’ve had an overcast/cloudy day here today with off and on showers.

Much more humid outside today so the back porch fans are going to accompany us with our adult libations.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tree roots?

We used to have that problem and about every two years we needed it cleaned out, but when we built an accessory building for my MIL we redid our sewer line and our water supply line.

No problem for the foreseeable future.

Zaxby's is OK, but not as good as what you can make at home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Back in February I bought a Ryobi cordless drain auger - the smaller of the two with the 25' capacity. The larger one (quite a bit more expensive) has a 50' capacity.

So far it's done a decent job and well worth the money.

I noticed my kitchen sink isn't draining as fast as it should lately so probably time for another augering (is that a word?)

I forgot all about those chicken and dumplings... :(

5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Very pleasant morning started our day out at 58*—sunshine and blue sky. Our expected high for the day is 74*.

I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. And yes, y’all are correct — Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we will have fresh steamed green cabbage, fresh bi-color cob corn, and home cut French fries.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will be enjoyed during the late afternoon and evening as we watch another beautiful sunset.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Change of dinner plans. Wards had mustard greens so making so making soup with ground pork, mustard greens, scallions, rice noodles, garlic, fish sauce, and Sichuan peppercorns among other things.

Going to prep the KJ for a very early start tomorrow soon. 8+ pounds of pork shoulder takes a LONG time to smoke. I got a new bag of applewood chunks for the effort. I want to be able to put in on about 5 AM, so stumbling out of bed at 4 AM will be required. Having it ready to light will be a plus. I want to have dinner ready by kick-off. And pulled pork is a fitting meal for playing the Hawgs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Even though the circulation center passed really close and to the west of my house, Eta was a nothing burger for me. Highest gusts were in the low 40 mph range.

And I am happy about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Woke up at 3:50 AM EST, lit the KJ, and put pork shoulder on just before 5 AM.

I got another hour of sleep after that.

Just checked it and no surprise that it isn't ready, but sometimes they come in early. I figure that it should be ready to take off to rest somewhere around 5 or 6 PM. But sometimes it takes a lot longer than the usual 90 minutes per pound.

Minor screw up with the Carolina slaw. I thought that we had a green bell pepper, but it was a red one. Almost the same taste, but a different look unless you have color blindness.

I wonder if I can stay awake for the whole Gator football game. It has been a long day.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Watching off and on "A League of Their Own" this afternoon whilst tending the pork shoulder. Everyone knows the "There is no crying in baseball" quote, but my favorite one is late in the movie: “It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.” (Bolds due to quoiting on-line)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And the shoulder was right on schedule: 12 hours for 8 pounds. A few bits were just under 195 F, but the vast majority was around 205 F. It should even out in the rest.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Since @GatorLurker was working on an all-day cook and came out “on time” and perfect internal temp for pulling rested Boston butts or pork shoulders I thought I would stick with one of our favorite “Football Saturday’s” meals.

Grilling wings with a cold tray as our side. It matches up well with paying attention to the game while you are eating.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are ready to do their part as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Enjoyed your posts, gents! Always fun hearing what's on your menu!

When our game is a late one like this, I tend to avoid watching TV as much as possible and if I do it's movies, and in my case like Lurk it was Tom Hanks - but this time he was commanding an Apollo mission. I only watched a small part of it but enjoyed the entertainment while taking a quick break.

Worked outside most of the day until around 2pm when we started getting a drizzle that has continued. I also finished some landscape lighting work I was doing at a friend's house. I did the original work about 9 years ago so just updating and some repairs. Also a new transformer going from a 300w to a 120w, because we are using LEDs now. The old 300w that I put in it still working but the control buttons are corroded so we can't change any settings nor can we turn it on and off manually so I've been going over at night to verify the work I did. He's only a minute down the road and it gets dark early so easy peasey.

I'm having ground chuck burgers tonight during the game. I resisted getting a Big Joe's sub - for a second Saturday in a row! ;)

Enjoy the game - and GO Gators!

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Late this afternoon I’ll be putting a boneless half pork loin on the Egg indirect over cherry wood smoke.

Our sides will be Ms. Jan’s homemade Mac & Cheese, deviled eggs, and fresh crowder peas and okra. There will also be jalapeño cornbread.

Beautiful day here today. It started out at 49* and our high is predicted to be 68*.

Afternoon ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will again go along with the day winding down to its sunset.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I did fall asleep sometime in the 3rd quarter. My wife prodded me after the game to go to bed.

Getting up at 3:50 AM to light a prepared kamado grill for a 12 hour cook will do that to you when it is a 7 PM plus kick off.

BTW, the Gators looked great from what I saw. At least on one side of the ball. But like many generals and football coaches have said "The best defense is a good offense".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I just noticed that I am almost out of brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. You can guess what i have been cooking lately (lots of yummy smoked pork), but the latest one will be a bit of a surprise. It will be a beer marinaded pork tenderloin (with soy sauce and brown sugar as well) that I will cook tomorrow. Served with sautéed red cabbage and apple with a touch of apple cider vinegar, bay leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Tomorrow is chicken and dumplings day.....yum! :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Another crisp and beautiful day here today. The morning low was 38*, sunshine/blue skies, slightly breezy, and a high of 70*.

Ms. Jan is putting together her Mexican Quesadilla Casserole and refried beans this evening.

The ice cold longneck Pacifico’s with fresh lime wedges and chilled wine will be our refreshments for the evening as we tune in to our SEC+ scrimmage at the BRAND NEW BALL PARK! Obviously a lil’pumped about that!

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ms. Jan's Mexican Quesadilla Casserole sounds amazing!!! You're a lucky man, Bill. ;)

Weather here is about perfect right now. best part is the low (50's) humidity. Highs in the 70's....lows in the 60's. I feel like a human again...lol.....

Mission accomplished on the C&D's. They were pretty good but I think the last time I got 'em there they were a little better. The dumplings had a little bit of a flour taste to them. Guess I will make some myself next time.

Also, the Swiss miss was at Publix again today. She was bagging this time. I always bring in my own bags. Double-paper recycled over and over. Just easy to transport everything.

Publix is offering Thanksgiving Day dinners this year. I will look into this. It's just Mom and me so maybe this is the way to go.

My oldest brother, in Virginia, is having heart surgery today. Lot of work being done.
    They are replacing both the mitral valve that was damaged with infection along with the aortic valve. They are also going to attempt to replace graphs from the previous bypass. He has several arteries that are 80% blocked. He asked if they were in there, to just fix everything they could. I have confidence the medical staff will do what is needed but am still concerned for my brother. He turned 73 in August and still has some years left in him, the good Lord willing.

Hang in there, Walt! :emoji_right_facing_fist:

• Friendly Friendly x 1