Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan’s on a roll so I am more than happy to let her stay in charge of the kitchen again tonight.

We will be having a homemade Mac & Cheese & Ham baked casserole. Our sides will be fresh steamed yellow squash and onions, fresh steamed green cabbage, and pink eye peas w/snaps left from last night.

We’ve had another beautiful day with milder temps and humidity so our afternoon/evening back porch time will be enjoyed with ice cold longnecks and chilled wine. Watching the sunset with low 70’s temps and a slight breeze makes for a great evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 3
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I am making carnitas to be shredded and served as tacos.

I have some left over tomatillo and avocado salsa and made a batch of roasted pineapple with habaneros, cilantro, red onion salsa. It might be a bit too picante for my family, but I like it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    We need more folks talking about what they cook. We are now behind the Old Guys thread.

Oh, crap. This is an old guys thread.

We need some young blood talking about what they cook.

Bazza, you ain't that young.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling boneless country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. Yes, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we will have fresh steamed yellow squash and onions and white rice topped with Rotel tomatoes. Oh, and fried cornbread to go with.

Afternoon thunderstorms are in the area so we can listen to the sounds of rain on the tin roof of our back porch while we enjoy our adult libations.

• Like Like x 3
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is giving me the day off from cooking. Either she is bringing home some veggies to make with rice or take-out. All I asked in response is what kind of wine to prepare.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The weather has warmed up a little—high today is supposed to be 84-86*........dang if 2 or 3 days of temps in the low 60’s won’t spoil you.

Tonight I’ll be grilling chicken wings with a cold tray for our side.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will work just fine for our late afternoon/evening refreshments.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Since I have a lot of green beans that need to be eaten and also have some skirt steak and home made pesto I am making a veggie bedding of green beans, roasted corn, and pesto topped with pan seared skirt steak. And a bit of rice on the side.

Tomorrow I am smoking a turkey breast to be made into turkey salad to be served in a Bibb lettuce cup.

When I was a grad student up at Illinois I lived in a trailer. It was cheap, but the biggest thing was that I had a plot of land to do some gardening. And Champaign county had legendary soil for farming. I grew the best tasting Bibb lettuce I have ever tasted. My mom said that I could go courting with just that.

I never did tell them why it tasted so good. I incorporated all of my brother's German shepherd's chit into the soil a couple of weeks before planting. Over six month's worth from a big dog in a small plot is a lot.

The tomatoes were also special. I used no pesticides. I managed to catch a praying mantis that did everything I needed.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The downside of where I lived was that it was really seedy. It was the Lincoln Park Trailer Park and locally it was known as the Lincoln Park Zoo (a Chicago reference). I once mentioned where I lived to a wife of a faculty member in my department and she was aghast. She worked for the local health department and said that most of her clients for STDs lived there.

It was never "my place" as a choice.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

:emoji_astonished::emoji_eye::emoji_eye::emoji_astonished:

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Sorry for the TMI.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Hey. I resemble that remark! :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yep....back to summer weather. I took full advantage of that little let up on Tues/Wed and put a dent into some of the front yard work I had on my radar for when things cool off a little. Sure enough - it didn't last...lol. Humidity has been brutal here!

I did power wash my boat this morning and will do the mowing in the morning.

Forecast even called for rain today and we didn't get one drop.

Been a little busy lately so sorry for the absence.

Awooo......Go Gators!!! :emoji_punch:

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinner was a HUGE hit.

It sounded weird, but was awesome.

My wife wants to try it again using chimichurri instead of pesto.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Turkey breast is smoking.

I also had to replace the sprayer in my kitchen sink because it was leaking and I had to build up a new mower. Plumbing stuff is always "fun" if you think "fun" involves a lot of cuss words.

My old Craftsman self-propelled mover with a Honda engine died. The engine is fine, but the transmission no longer works. It is so old that not only does nobody make a replacement transmission, nobody has a new old stock one anywhere. At least not one I could find using Google and I tried for hours.

While I can mow with the old mower, it is now quite the workout and I have three half acre yards to mow.

I bought a Craftsman push mower (not self propelled) with a Honda engine today. Since I have a lot of intricate mowing around things involving a lot of backing up having a much lighter mower without self-propelled is actually a bonus. And one less thing to break. And cheaper.

My favorite mower ever was a LawnBoy two-stroke with an alloy deck and a light, but powerful, Toro engine. It was push and not self-propelled. The problem with it was that it was prone to snapping the connecting rod. Light and powerful is a problem. I had rebuilt it twice already and now it is one of my many projects to do when I have the time to do it again. But you could dance around the yard with it when it was running. It was a great mower to use, but flawed in engine design.

I also have a really old LawnBoy with an F-series engine. It is clunky and I hated using it. I should probably sell it on Ebay because there actually are old LawnBoy mower collectors out there.

15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And when I bought the mower they wanted to sell me an upgraded warranty. That was hysterical. I will use this mower mostly for mowing rental properties and doing that automatically puts me into a commercial 3 month warranty instead of the two year home owner warranty. I really doubt that if I bought an upgraded warranty it would be honored.

16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are kicking off this start of football weekends with ice cold longnecks, chilled wine, and pizza pies....

Those Ga Dawgs are behind in the middle innings of their game 7–2 to Arkansas. Guess they’re just not hitting today.....

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have always loved my dogs, but don't really like the Dawg.

18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Great game yesterday! Trask is unreal! I was expecting to see a little rust but these guys came out firing like it was a walk in the park! Credit to our coaching and support staff. And the players too for buying into the Dan Mullen era.

Lurk - I don't know how you can use a non-self propelled mower. Especially if you're mowing St. Augustine grass. I use a self propelled 22" high wheel toro recycler from HD. I'm on about my third one. They usually last around 2-3 years but I'm using it on my accounts as well so they get more use than most.

Yesterday I swapped out two porch lights going from conventional incandescent to LED. I had LED bulbs in the old fixtures but these new fixtures have the flat LED panel built in so no bulbs at all. Huge upgrade and well worth the cost. Installation took less than 5 minutes per fixture.

Amazon.

IMG_9568.JPG IMG_9569.JPG IMG_9563.JPG IMG_9564.JPG

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The three yards that I mow are all big lots (about half an acre each), but have lots of trees and shrubs to go around. Two of the yards have lots of camellias because I used to show and judge them. Because of that there is a lot of back and forth mowing and not much straight line mowing where having self-propelled really does shine. Self-propelled as a big negative when going backwards. Often the drive wheels jam up and it is a royal PITA.

Tried out the new mower today in my backyard. It will work just fine for me and better than what I was using. I even mowed my main camellia area which I rarely mowed before because it was really hard to do with my old mower.

Since I am mowing two rental property yards I only have three months of warranty unless I lie and I don't do that. I wonder if my old Honda engine could bolt right onto the new deck? It runs like a top with YEARS of mowing three big yards.

I set up a spreadsheet to monitor my mower usage for two reasons. On is for tax purposes so that I can claim a fraction of the price as a business deduction. I can't claim it all because I also use it at my own house. I will need a record just in case I am audited. Secondly it is for maintenance. I know that I need to do an early oil change much like we had to do with new cars way back in the day. Do kids even know about "breaking in" an engine? And if they do, do they know why it was required? Hint: Machining tolerances have gotten much better since then so new car engines are good to go right off the lot, but fancy machining is not used on lawn mower engines. They use the early period of their life to "lap in" the rings and cylinders.

Tonight will be the turkey salad along with tuna salad. The smoked turkey was so good that we didn't have enough for another meal for three: me, my wife, and my MIL. My son will want something else. He was fine eating sliced smoked turkey breast last night, though.

Tomatoes will be involved in some way along with Bibb lettuce.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I just remembered another seedy element about where I lived as a grad student. The trailer just east of mine seemed to be unoccupied except that about every four weeks or so a Cadillac would drive up and the driver would enter the trailer.

The Caddy had a remote ignition and would start about a minute before he left the trailer and then he drove off.

Probably enough to get a search warrant.

But, hey. I grew up on the Southside of Chicago.

• Like Like x 1