Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Saturday morning and 73 degrees out! I'll take it!

Had to go over to Mom's yesterday while the Spectrum tech came to swap out a bad router/modem. In conversation with the tech, Steve, I learned his father was British and a member of the RAF. That sorta made my day.

I picked up some baked ziti and a couple Greek salads on the way from Stavros for our lunch, which as always was good. They were pretty busy and it's good to see some of the restaurants around here forging ahead.

Watching the TT right now. Going to go out on a limb and predict a win today for The Durango Kid!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Best Tour de France TT stage since 1989. Usually watching a time trial is like watching paint dry. (I don't count the Armstrong/Ullrich one in the rain because they were both dopers.) Most of the day was like that until the last four riders.

Usually grand tour riders get to their peak performance around age 30. And we had a guy who is still 21, and on very weak team compared to Jumbo V, just crush everyone.
    Kind of like 1989 where Lemond was on a really crappy team and Fignon was on a strong team and it came down to a huge time trial win.

The only younger rider to win it did so in the second ever TdF when it wasn't the big deal like it is now. WOW!

And props to Ritche Porte. Gutty ride to make the podium.

As for cooking the 5.52 pound pork shoulder it has been smoking with some apple wood since 9:30 for an anticipated 7:00 dinner (pulling off for a rest sometime between 5:30 and 6:00), the Carolina vinegar slaw is made and in the fridge with the flavors melding, and baked beans are in the oven making the house smell good.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Too much flat before the climb for Sepp to do that well on this stage. And I thought that Wout had a chance for the stage win (really strong both on the flats and uphill), but Pogecar was unbelievable today.

I hope that he wasn't what they called "extraterrestrial" back in the Lance days. Bike racing does not need yet another doping scandal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I did pull it off at 6:10. Most of the meat was just over 200 F, but some was a bit short of that. I figured that in the rest it would even out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Pogacar!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The cooler temps and lower humidity made this weekend the perfect time to kick off the first pot of chili of the fall—2 spaced out suppers over rice covered with shredded cheddar and today finished it off with chili-cheese dogs for lunch. If anybody wants good hotdogs without firing up the grill, just pull out your frying pan of fresh bacon grease from breakfast and roll your dogs around in your heated up bacon drippings instead of boiling them in water—outstanding!

Tonight I’ll be grilling BBQ chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning and of course Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we’ve got fresh green beans and new potatoes and fresh bi-color cob corn.

The afternoon/evening adult libations are ready to go.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 3
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Holding off on the chicken Provencal until tomorrow and will have left over pulled pork tonight because we are having a Zoom family meeting/cocktail hour.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lurk—

Our weekly Zoom with friends we were having on Saturday’s kept being a conflict with weekend stuff we just moved ours to Wednesday. Seems to work better for us since we’re all retired anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My younger brother is still employed. And the way he spends money he might always be employed. He does have some nice "toys", though. Many cars including a mid-1960's Shelby Cobra and he has an hydraulic lift in his garage for working on his car collection.

He also has many motorcycles including some track bikes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Your brother sounds like a great guy!

I'm a bit of a motor head myself. Got a few old Porsches - but only 6 motorcycles. No lift though :(.

Today was "Drive your 356 Day"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    He had a long time ago a 911S Targa with a full racing set-up. It had the huge oil sump system (maybe 20 quarts?) and three two-barrel Weber carbs that were a PITA to balance, but when you did it was awesome. Being a fluid mechanics guy I knew how to rig up manometers.

Way back in the day I took him through the process of an engine rebuild on a Fiat 850 that he bought. The easy thing about that engine rebuild was that you didn't need a hoist to pull the engine. You could lift it out by hand. I pretty much did most of it for him (tear down and rebuild), but made him watch and learn. We took the parts that needed machining to a shop.

12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    That's cool he had that 911S. Those early 911's (pre-'74) we call the "longhoods" because after that year the US required crash bumpers and it changed the hood length. The US also prohibited carbed engines so the ones sent to the US were fuel injected - starting with MFI (mechanical FI) and then the electronic fuel injection (CIS).

My 2nd 911 was a '73 911T. Italian delivery so had factory carbs. Twin 3 barrel Zeniths on a 2.4. I never should have sold it and will regret doing it until the day I die - maybe even longer. I won't go into a bunch of details but suffice to say it was in incredibly original condition with one very well done re-spray of the factory Tangerine (the color Porsche used on it's rally cars) and a 10/10 black interior. Even had the original balsa support piece in the trunk w/perfect trunk carpet. The original two battery boxes.....original Michelin spare. Original Fuchs. Just a beautiful car and drove perfect. I replaced the factory air cleaner with K&N rain hats and then those carbs made that cool sucking sound when you mashed it.

My only 6 cylinder Porsche now is am '83 SC Targa under restoration. My other Porsche is a '72 914 with an updated engine - the 2.0 with factory FI. It runs good.

The oil sump of a 911 is 11 quarts but your brothers probably had an enlarged one for track driving. I did some track driving with my first 911 - an '81 SC Targa but not racing. Just track driving with various clubs. It was fun but (for me) became a bit boring, but glad I did it. Nothing like running your car up through the gears on a race track and going through turns at speed. I did the 17 turn course at Sebring a few times. What a course that is!

I'm not much of a mechanic but did R&R my '81's engine myself. Those factory head bolts snap like crazy after a while so have to be replaced, which is why I did it. I didn't do the engine work itself. And I'm terrible at carb work.

Here's a couple pics of "Tangerine". She's in California last I knew with a Frenchman who use to drive for Porsche when he lived in Europe. At least she's in good hands....
    Tangerine 1.jpg

Tangerine 2.jpg
    P1008779.jpg
    P1008769.jpg
    P1007928.jpg

13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Site isn't loading pics correctly. Sorry.....will try again later....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Well at least you and I have two things in common... the Gators and Porsches. I’ve had two 911s. Used to have a 997.2 C4S. I went a little bit “purer” on my current one, a 996 C2.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I lived in Murphree Hall too - in my sophomore year.

Does that make it three things we have in common?

• Like Like x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Probably have a whole lot in common.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to be treated to Ms. Jan’s smother fried cubed steak and gravy, smashed red potatoes, and fresh pink eye peas w/snaps and fresh okra.

I will also fry cornbread to go with.

Very pleasant weather again today with a high of 74*, light breeze, and the humidity is really down. Our afternoon/evening adult refreshments will be both available and enjoyed.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Closest thing I ever owned to a 911 want an Opel Manta Rallye. Two barrel Solex and three main bearings.

Not a car that was meant to last.

I did buy it cheap (less than $1K) and put almost 100K miles on it before I sold it for $75 dollars to a postman that had one and wanted a parts car. It got me through grad school and early years at UF as a prof.

I did love my first car: 1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet. I paid $300 for it. It was beautiful. Girls liked it. I got it because the guy that had it went to Vegas and then needed some cash.

I sold it because it needed constant attention to run. That was fine in the summer, but once school started and it got cold in Chicago it was not viable. It had solid lifters that needed to be reset every couple of thousand miles. Constant tweaks to the ignition were required. It truly was a Fix It Again, Tony.

Google it and look at images. Mine was red. I wish that I still had that car. I had even rebuilt the engine before I sold it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Cleaning up some stuff in teh frig with a chopped salad.

I didn't have any roasted red peppers so my wife will bring some home.

Tomorrow is carnitas. OMG, that is good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Carnitas are sooo good!!!! Ice cold longneck Pacifico’s with fresh lime slices are perfect with that IMHO