Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    A BIG congrats to you and the little lady, Bill......that's fantastic! :emoji_couple_with_heart:

Enjoy!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Anyone watching Le Tour? It's been pretty good so far!

I fell asleep last night before the end of the "Woodstock" - Director's Cut" documentary/movie.

The CSN segment was truly amazing though. Hadn't seen it in a while but those harmonies were incredible!

3. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    :emoji_bicyclist::emoji_bicyclist::emoji_bicyclist::emoji_bicyclist::emoji_bicyclist::emoji_bicyclist::emoji_thumbsup:

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Of course I am. I used to bike race. Disappointed that there were not stronger crosswinds to make the race more interesting.

Kind of a boring stage today unless you like crashes.

Still wide open, but Jumbo Viesma is clearly the strongest team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I'm a big Sagan fan and see that with SB winning today's stage, Sagan is now 21 points behind in the Green Jersey. I wasn't able to watch all of today's stage but did see the crash.

Was happy to see the Slovenians do so well in earlier stages. And the rookie from Belgium...Nans Peters....wow....that was an inspiring win!

The Columbians too - including NQ with a come back.

Leaderboard is jammed right now but I'm still leaning towards last year's champ, EB to repeat.

Lot of cycling left....will be fun to see what happens!

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The house is already starting to smell mighty good from the aroma of a large pot of spaghetti sauce as it has just started to simmer.

We will have a fresh Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes and yeast rolls to go with.

It’s a beautiful day but it brings the Panhandle heat and humidity with it. Yard work seems to always be at the ready—I’ve got hedges and shrubbery that needs cutting back.

The ice cold longnecks will greatly appreciated and enjoyed late this afternoon.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Sagan was trying to go through a line that wasn't there today in the sprint and got aggressive instead of admitting his tactical failure. Sagan making that kind of error is rare. His relegation was correct, but I have seen riders do much worse in the amateur peloton and get away with it.

Caleb's sprinting style was perfect for the lead-up to the line and he pulled it off.

SB is really riding well, but can he survive the third week? He will really suffer.

Lot's of cycling left, but I suspect the current Yellow Jersey wearer will be wearing it on the last day. JV is clearly the strongest team.

Nairo has a lot of work to do to contend for a podium spot. He has been great in the high elevations in the past and looks to be on very good form this year, but he will need to be minutes ahead before the time trial as he has never excelled at that discipline.

But anything can happen. Two Covid-19 cases on your team and staff and you are out of the race.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And I and making a pork tenderloin marinaded in a ginger and sesame sauce with a side salad.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yeah - Sagan got the one finger salute from Wout after that finish....lol. Sagan got dinged for it too by the rules committee.......sent to last place. I'm just glad Wout didn't crash. I thought it a little aggressive myself but like you said - wasn't the first time pushing and shoving happened during a sprint finish. But yeah....Caleb....that was impressive. Like Phil says....the massive acceleration.

Some elevations coming up so will be fun.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The Tour really starts on Friday.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Forgot to mention (food-related post!) I was at the Publix here on mainland yesterday picking up provisions for Mom which included chicken tenders and decided to try out their panko-coated butterfly shrimp and oh my - those were goooood!

I'll be going by for more before the weekend. I used a sweet chili sauce with them - yum!

The best part though was meeting the checkout girl from Switzerland named Annette. She was cute and fun to chat with. As I was leaving I said "Well I gotta Mach Schnell now!" which made her laugh a little.

Great personality and I could tell she was smart!

• Like Like x 1
  12. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Auf weidersehen :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I turn it over to my better half because she has the patience and skills to make risotto with asparagus. There is an art to it and I don't yet have it.

But I did sharpen all of our knives today (a 38 year old Henckels 3 star chef's knife is my favorite) and mowed the yard without the self propelled working so hard work. A new air filter was a big help. I have a Chef's Choice Model 15 knife sharpener and keep my knives at the Japanese 15 degree standard instead of the usual 20 degree standard so they are always VERY sharp. The downside is that I need to sharpen more often.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Went back to Publix today but it was Annette's day off. Of course, that wasn't as important to me as getting more of those panko-butterfly shrimp! They didn't have any in the shelf so I asked the server and he said they made grouper fingers instead - but he'd be happy to whip up a batch of the shrimp if I wanted. To which I replied "That would be fantastic - thank you!". So I got some more of those and while I was waiting got another beef tenderloin cut into 12 steaks.

Now things worked out today with the Swiss rider getting the stage win so that gives me something to interject if and when I should see Annette again.

Did work at a couple accounts today and of course the heat and humidity is still oppressive. The good news is it didn't rain so I was able to do some spraying and also applied wood preservative on two sheets of utility plywood. This was the second coat and I got both sides done - yah!

I'm also making a privacy fence in back on the south side. It's only approx. 15' long. I need around 21 more pickets to finish and then will need to make a little gate on one end.

I was able to watch the afternoon airing of the TDF. Happy to see the Swiss rider get that win. Longest stage of the event too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Saw this on my way to Home Depot this morning........small towns all over the country showing their respects for those lost on that horrible day......

IMG_9370.JPG
    IMG_9371.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Using the other pork tenderloin tonight and making a salad.

As for the Tour de France two young American kids did the huge work for their teams. Powless made the early attack that set up the EF win and Sepp Kuss did the hard work so that his GC man could put serious time into his rivals.

Really savvy racing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are doing our second round of spaghetti tonight.

I failed to post our last night’s meal but it was really good after working outside. Ms. Jan made her homemade chicken salad and we had a cold plate consisting of the plate bedded with fresh lettuce with chicken salad, potato salad, fresh green bell pepper slices, carrots, cut in quarters vine ripe tomatoes, and quartered up boiled eggs. It’s both light and quite tasty.

Another outside day has a great appreciation of our ice cold longnecks and chilled wine.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Perfect menu for this time of year, Bill!

Do you just eat the green bell pepper slices like you would a carrot stick? Or along with some chicken salad?

19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Does anyone here eat Tofu? I saw a post in the other forum about it (it was in the "steak" thread...ha ha) and got me thinking I haven't had any in a long time.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I do.