Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Ain't going to get that kind of beer or that kind of dog at our new ball park.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

You are correct, but when you’re dreaming I thought it was ok to live in world perfect.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Nice to have the plumbing part finished anyway.

One of my best friends is a plumber. He lives about 4 houses down from me. I still try to do everything myself.

Sometimes though you just need a little help.

Good luck with the rest of the project, Lurk...

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I did a post about cooking chicken in lard.

In the process of reviewing this on line I came across a blurb of cooking french fries in lard.

Anyone ever try that? In the process I read that McDonalds used to cook their fries in tallow.

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

5220—

When we were kids everything we ate fried was fried in lard except fish—we used peanut oil for frying fish. Then it became Crisco shortening to fry with, then on to vegetable oil. Then after all those care free years everything fried became unhealthy for you.....

How did we ever make it this far? I have tried to change (kinda) with the times, I have given up fried pork chops since we grill’em. But fried chicken? Don’t make me tell y’all the same thing I told my Doctor...:D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going with fried catfish, cheese grits, coleslaw, and hush puppies.

While the temperature as well as the humidity are back up to the hot/hot mark we will have a sunset to watch this evening. Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are a must for both watching the day fade to evening and the meal.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Plumbers are actually alchemists: They turn lead into gold.

One piece of woodworking equipment that I don't have is a bandsaw. I could have easily made the siding from 2 by 6's if I had one, but instead I had to do a lot of planing of 1 by 6's to make it. About half of the 1 by 6's ended up as saw dust. Kind of a shame.

But I have a mountain of sawdust in my driveway.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making Bolognese sauce right now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Bobby Flay got beat by Reza tonight. It was epic!

Look what fell into my grocery cart today......

bfb5d4fdd49ea1648a7fbaba42b028ef_large.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have half of a head of cabbage in my fridge. I am thinking about shredding it and caramelizing with garlic, sage, breadcrumbs, red pepper flakes, butter, and olive oil with some Parmesan added at the end.

I think that would go well with some pan seared pork chops.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Took your recommendation @GatorLurker - and tried the Hebrew National dogs today for lunch and they were delicious!

This place is great - appreciate the tips and advice!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are back to a full-fledged rainy Friday, but it’s the slow and steady type rain that has a real chance to soak in and do everything outside some real good.

Our last night’s catfish supper ended up being put off until tonight as we had some unexpected long time out of town friends call and stop by for some back porch time with proper social distancing involved. It was a great visit but we then optioned to a lighter late supper of deli style sandwiches and chips.

With tonight’s catfish supper we’ll also enjoy the sounds of rain on the tin roof of the back porch along with adult libations.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Smoking a turkey. Trying out a BGE branded ancho chili and coffee rub that my youngest got me for my birthday back in May.

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My only complaint with Hebrew National hot dogs is that I would prefer a bit less garlic.

I love that they are all beef.

Extraneous pork parts that are hard to sell in a hot dog takes away from the experience.

I prefer Vienna Beef dogs, but only by a little bit. There is a place in Cedar Key that makes a decent Chicago dog using them.

• Like Like x 2
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are going with the second half of the pot of beef stew made with the eye round roast from mid week. I will fry fresh cornbread to go with.

We have had 80% chance of rain all day but it has yet to materialize. Guess I’ll go try to get our neighbor’s yard cut (to really see if it’s gonna rain);)

Either way the adult refreshments will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed on the back porch.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Left over smoked turkey will be made into enchiladas with green sauce. I am making rajas (roasted poblanos and onions with garlic, oregano, and thyme) to be incorporated.

• Like Like x 3
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    After a full day of yard work with sufficient cool down time and showers we decided to leave the kitchen closed and take a break from our cooking efforts.

Besides, Ms. Jan’s pizza hungry so there ya go....Here we do have limited options with choices of Dominos, Pizza Hut, and Hungry Howie’s or frozen pies from the grocery store. Our choice will be Pizza Hut.

The ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are just rewards for our labors in the yard today. A beautiful sunset is in front of us.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And as a former Chicagoan I thought that Gainesville had bad pizza options.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Once again the kitchen is open and tonight I’ll be grilling the now infamous boneless country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. And yes, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we will have a pot of fresh cream 40’s & petite butter beans and okra. Also there will be fresh steamed yellow squash and onions and a pot of rice pilaf.

Looks like we’re in for a hot week as the weather prediction is only 10% chance of rain for the week. Our ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will surely serve it’s purpose this week.

• Like Like x 3
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Well our weather is back to hot and humid followed by more hot and humid.

Tonight we’re going with a pot of chicken and rice with grilled cheese sandwiches.

By the time the adult libations hour is here the ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will again be greatly appreciated and enjoyed.

• Like Like x 1