Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight’s supper will be boneless country cut ribs grilled indirect over cherry wood smoke with Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

We will finish up the pot of green beans and new potatoes and have some more bi-color cob corn. There will be jalapeño cornbread to go with.

It was only 93* here today but with the humidity it was “feels like 101*...” Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine again await us on the back porch.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Boneless ribs never made sense to me.

Tonight I will be making chicken tagine.

What a fouled up day. Yesterday I tried replacing a tub spout at one rental and the pipe nipple sheared off. Stuff like that happens when things have been corroding for almost 60 years.

Not having a nipple extractor and never having done it I decided to call a plumber to extract the remnants of the pipe nipple and install a new one and the new spout. The plumber broke his extractor, got a new one, and could not get it loose. So now it is either tear out the tile to get to it or go in from the outside. I will be removing siding tomorrow morning as there is no way that I would ever be able to match the tile for a repair. I am going to try and remove the shiplap intact. I think it was installed in the 1960's so it might not be spiral nails where it would be impossible to do that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I hope that @74nole liked what I was cooking instead of my day. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

W/D used to have bone-in country cut ribs as well as bone-in country style ribs. The first was a true cut off the rib which gave you a tender piece of meat kinda shaped like a quarter moon. The later was merely Boston butt thin sliced up (not an easy cut to cook tender, at least for me).

Through times changing, they now only receive the country cut rib in a boneless package (giving you the quarter moon shaped piece of meat which cooks up quite tender) and that’s just what they tag it.

Sorry about your day....:emoji_fearful:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I still don't get how a rib can be boneless.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lol—all I can say is I guess it wasn’t until the butcher cut the bone away........the way they cook up they should call’em pork tenders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Plumbing repairs.....ugh!

I bought a whole bunch of those specialty plumbing tools from HD made by Husky.

It still boils down to doing a bunch of awkward maneuvers that any gymnast would find challenging, sending prayers up on every task, plus an assortment of cuss words tossed in for good measure.

Tell you what though...those shark bites are worth their freaking weight in gold for how much they help!

Good luck on getting it resolved, Lurk!

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Yep—Baz I was just wondering how many bloody knuckles Lurk might be sporting now....

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Sounds like he exercised just the right amount of discretion by knowing when to fold 'em.

BTDT myself..... :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are going with the All-American supper tonight of grilling cheeseburgers and hotdogs.

Sides will be baked BBQ beans and air-fry French fries.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine as needed.;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The recent hot dog conversation influenced me to buy some of these and I just had one for lunch....delicious!

They're YUGE! I used a sesame seeded hoggie roll for a bun....lol.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Plumbing work is done and they guy doing it cut me some slack on the charge which was nice.

Now I need to replace the siding. It is a weird and nonstandard shiplap and I might need to get some lumber that is a bit bigger and make it myself with ripping and planing with a bit of dado. While the siding was nailed in it was not to current code (finishing nails instead of spiral nails), but I could not get them off totally clean. At least it was easy to get them off. Most of the boards are salvageable, but two are not. Might as well use new wood for all of it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Congrats on getting the plumbing part done, Lurk. That was the tricky part! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. gators4life

gators4life GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL
    Smoking some baby back ribs tonight with lump charcoal and cherry wood. Also pressure cooking some white acre peas and okra. Maybe I can post a picture later when they are done.

Cool seeing what everyone likes to cook on here. I will try and participate more!

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gators4life

gators4life GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The house is smelling good today as Ms. Jan has put together a big pot of beef stew. Today we are using an eye of round roast—we’re slow cooking it whole then shred it with potatoes, vidalia onions, celery hearts, baby carrots and Ms. Jan will work her magic on the best beef stew gravy in the Panhandle.

I will fry cornbread to go with.

Afternoon thunderstorms will take away watching another sunset but we will get to sit on the back porch with our popular choice of adult libations while listening to the rain on the tin roof.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight it is chili dogs and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Damn that sounds good!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Well, I was picturing being at the ballpark!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I just paid for that part.

I could have done it myself once I took off the siding, but I paid for them to try from the other side and thought that I should let them finish.

It looks like they did a good job.

It should last another 60 years or so like the last time.

Now I have to make the new siding and I have the boards and machines to do it.

• Like Like x 2