Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Can easily add these and make it 4 words......

Oppressive and brutal!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I will double check tomorrow but last time I was there I noticed a little less selection but wasn't focusing on a particular brand.

Back when the virus hit, I bought a large pack of some cheap brand dogs, thinking there might be a shortage. Of course, the shortage never really happened so I have been slowly using these up. Good thing I have a dog to share with because they are not that tasty at all.

I do have a pack of these in the freezer for when I get through the bland dogs....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Hey Big Bill.....was at the Dollar General today and plenty of franks available. Didn't see any Nathan's brand (maybe they just don't carry them) - but Ball Park and Oscar Mayer aplenty - plus some other brands.

Looks like we're gonna get a little rain.....yah!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    BTW...I picked up one of those Red Baron pizzas for later in the weekend. Not every day you can enjoy a pizza that came in third!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Vienna Beef hot dogs are my gold standard, but I am from Chicago and they are not grocery store fare. Hebrew National is almost as good and easily available. That is my "go to" hot dog.

I made a squid salad yesterday and have some left over. Going to make clam linguini tonight with left over squid salad as a side. Just got a nice block of Parmigiano-Reggiano for the cheese. It is pricey, but worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Despite the heat and humidity I got our yard cut today. After a shower the back porch variety of ice cold refreshments really hit the spot.

Tonight we are having smothered fried cubed beef steak, fresh green beans and new potatoes, fresh bi-color cob corn, and freshly made yeast rolls.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    17761596645143.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are treated to Ms. Jan’s baked lasagna with the second half of the pot of spaghetti sauce.

Fresh Romaine salad topped with fresh vine ripe tomatoes. Fresh yeast rolls will also be on the table.

Once again we will enjoy ice cold longnecks and chilled wine on the back porch as we watch today’s broadcast of MLB games and watch another sunset.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 3
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    We have some leftover smoked chicken and smoked turkey that we need to use up so my wife is going to make some chicken and turkey salad that we will eat with lettuce.

• Like Like x 3
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My relatives that live up North ask me if I miss having four seasons. I tell them that we do. We have Fall, followed by Spring, and then Summer and Summer again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    At some point one of my mid-range plans is to set my place up for seasonal rental.

That would give me options to bail out during summer's guts, if I wanted to.

Right now I have two senior furballs and a 97 year young mother to take care of, which I'm not complaining about, but rather savoring their company as much as possible while I still can.

Australia for a month - or two. Our summer...their winter....:)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Forgot to mention, I made some chicken salad yesterday and used the Blue Plate mayo Bill, and it was good.

I've bought some chicken salads that had fruit and nuts in it before and really liked it so tried to make my own yesterday.

Kinda cheated using a store bought cranberry/nut mixture and just dumped it all in along with the chicken, mayo, pickle relish, and chopped celery. No onions though.

Made a sandwich with it along with lettuce and tomato and I thought it came out pretty good. It was better after sitting overnight in the fridge.

Going to give Mom what's left and will make some more this week...

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    You are a good son.

And raisins and chopped cashews work well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Good tip, Lurk...thank you!

Mom deserves even more than I can give her but I try.

I'm sure you are a good son as well, sir.

15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, my mom and I always butted heads and she died back in 1998.

Still miss her though. We just never saw eye to eye. We just had different things that we found important.

She really loved my older son. He was probably was her favorite from her nine grandsons. And she always wanted a granddaughter and never got one.

Funny thing is that he is probably the most like me from all of them except he can not throw for chit and does not care for sports at all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Sorry for your loss and FWIW I think all sons butt heads with their mothers at times. Some more than others, obviously.

I'm glad she was in your son's life though in a positive fashion - that's special.

My Mom never had a daughter - just three sons. I've run into quite a few Dads though who only had daughters - sometimes up to four of them. At some point I guess you just give up and appreciate who you have...lol.

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is one of four daughters with no sons.

My wife was the second child. Her younger sister married first with a cheap at home wedding. We opted for the same the next year. The oldest never got married, but the youngest had a blow out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Baz—

Ms. Jan uses cranberry, sliced thin almonds, cut up Gala apples, and sometimes cut up red seedless grapes in putting hers together. Always good and even better with fresh lettuce and sliced up vine ripe tomatoes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks Bill.

The grapes are a nice touch! ;)

20. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    We also use some red grapes and a dash of curry powder