Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    60 feet and six inches.

But look out for high and inside.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just finished watching the 1950 classic "Harvey", with the late great James Stewart. Probably seen that movie about 50 times and always enjoy it - one of his best.

I find it a social commentary that I see happening every day around me. But I digress.....

In the movie there's mention of an egg and onion sandwich.

Has anyone here every made one? I have not. But it does sound "interesting"....

(BTW - I love the video this guy made....nicely done!)

• Like Like x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’ll be grilling hamburger steaks from a fresh ground boneless chuck roast for supper.

Sides will be fresh snapped green beans and new potatoes, fresh bi-color cob corn, and fresh steamed yellow squash and onions.

Hot and humid early here today—ugh....Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will be on tap this afternoon/evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making chicken mole tonight. Maybe I will use the guajillo sauce I recently made as a steak marinade (carne asada). Also roasting squash with red bell peppers and Parmesan cheese.

I also bought the stuff for braised short ribs. I will probably make that tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    We have a sub shop in town called "Big Joe's Subs". It right on main street and been here for a long time. Family owned. The owner told me today he started working there when he was just a teenager and he's now in his 60's. His grandson is the one who took my order. They are only open from 11-4:30pm. The owner said he's seen 5 generations of customers come through those doors. (I thought that might be a stretch since he's only in his 60's - but maybe he meant they have been customers before he started working there).

They have a pretty expansive menu but I always enjoy their subs - so got a 16" turkey for my lunch - and still have half of it leftover!

They've been posting a lot of stuff on FB lately - such as this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Elwood Dowd is such a kind and gentle character. We need more of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    That's the takeaway for me from the whole movie. His kind and considerate personality.

The magic in the movie was watching how that affected those around him.

And Lurk......don't forget to always include his middle initial "P" - as point of being accurate to his brand.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It has been about twenty years since I had seen the movie. I forget the P.

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    OK, I have made the mole. I have shredded the chicken that I cooked two days ago. (I saved the skin and bones for making stock.) I have prepped the squash and red bell pepper and put in in the oven to be done about 45 minutes from now. It smells great.

Now handing off to my better half. Once she gets home I can take a dog that is complaining out for a walk.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    No worries....I wasn't bagging on ya!

;)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I can be a real nerd sometimes......lol.....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    There was so much chicken mole and squash that we are having it again tonight and the braised short ribs will have to wait until tomorrow.

Actually it is not a bad thing. The lawn needed mowing and since all I have to do is reheat things I had time to do it this afternoon.

It was pretty warm out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’m grilling boneless country cut ribs, indirect—over cherry wood smoke seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. Yes sir, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we’ve got fresh steamed yellow squash and onions, fresh bi-color cob corn, and the leftover green beans and new potatoes from last night.

Another hot and humid Panhandle day here today, I’m sure about like the rest of our state. Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will stand in nicely for the afternoon/evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have never had to defrost a frozen eight pound pork shoulder before and I have one that I am thinking about smoking in about a week. I am thinking that five days in the fridge should do it. Any advice out there?

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

Normally I will pull mine out about bedtime on a given night and set it in the kitchen sink overnight in the cooler nighttime. The next morning I will put it in the refrigerator and go from there—just kinda jump start the thawing process in the cool of the night.

That usually has it ready to go in 3 to 3 1/2 days

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Makes sense.

17. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Interesting thing a buddy of mine does. He injects his before he freezes and then throws it on the smoker frozen. Ive never done it or tasted it - but have heard people say you cant tell a difference. Hes got an electric smoker so I dont know if that helps save fuel for a long long cook. I just thought it was interesting when he mentioned he did that. Anybody ever heard of doing that?

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Nitro—

I’ve never even heard of anybody that’s heard of anybody doing that!;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Im a trend setter 74 - one who obviously had very weird friends. Or drunk lazy ones at a minimum. LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Tried something different.

Bought some of those Ziploc microwave steamer bags - something like 10 bags for $3 and change so not expensive at all.

Watched a few YT vids. Then did two bags - one with yellow squash - the other Yukon gold potatoes.

Put 'em in the fridge for the next evening's dinner, which was last night.

Tried the Yellow Squash and it turned out delicious! I used Italian seasoning which made a big difference, I think.

Will have the potatoes tonight.

I know this isn't a traditional approach to cooking - but my motto is and has always been "Old dog - new tricks"!