Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Reheated paella leftovers tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re treating ourselves to fresh fried catfish fillets, cheese grits, homemade coleslaw, sweet pickles, and hush puppies.

I cut our neighbor’s yard today as she has taken a spill and messed her ankle up. I took the opportunity to remind her that none of us bounce as good as we used to.....

The back porch Yeti is loaded with ice cold longnecks for the afternoon/early evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    You are a good neighbor. Enjoy those longnecks. I am enjoying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I have fired up the KJ for grilling bone-in pork chops and Brussels sprouts. Additional veggies are on the evening menu.

I will need to make a run to Home Depot for some Royal Oak lump charcoal soon as I am running low.

BTW, what do you do with all of the ash? There must be a good use for it. I have been saving it and I have a lot.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

My knowledge about lump charcoal ash is it’s good to bring up the PH level in your soil, but use it sparingly. Don’t use it on anything that needs a higher amount of acid like blueberries and azaleas. That’s about as far as I can go......

5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Defrosting some chuck to grind for burgers tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Sounds like a Friday night thing @GatorLurker—we are grilling hamburgers and hotdogs tonight ourselves.

Baked beans, coleslaw, and chips will also be on the table.

Friday afternoon ice cold longnecks are also in play.

7. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Anybody ever done pork wings? They are actually pork shanks that you eat like a wing. I saw this the other day and thought "I have to try that" LOL

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Nitro—

So that’s where the phrase “When pigs fly” comes from, huh?;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Freshly ground chuck is the way to go for burgers. I think that they taste better when ground with an antique hand grinder that I get ice cold in the freezer so the meat doesn't stick.

There was too much chuck for tonight's burgers so I haven't added Lee & Perrins or salt to the grind as of yet. And it looked fatty enough so no need for added butter. Adding butter to ground beef that is too lean is a common trick that I rarely have to use, but have gone to on occasion. I will need to divide it into tonight's burgers and freeze the rest for something else, but I will need to know the order first to know how much to use tonight.

This was supposed to be the Vandy baseball weekend. I had been looking forward to it for over a year and the highlight of the home schedule, but it was not to be. To make lemonade out of lemons I would have been eating crappy food at the Mac if it was on and I will be eating much better tonight.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Going out to light the KJ soon. I have two slabs of St Louis cut pork ribs that need attention.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Oh, I also made pesto this morning with garden fresh basil.

Corn on the cob and black eyed peas will be the dinner sides tonight.

And I have a six pound brisket to cook this week. So many good ways to do that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I know that there are lots of different ways to cook pork ribs. I like to do them Memphis dry rub style and finish with a coating of honey very late.

I don't yell at people that also slather them with the BBQ sauce of their choice before eating. I wouldn't do that, but to each his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

Maybe it’s just me but if you’re going to cover smoked ribs in BBQ sauce you might as well “par-boil” them and then just stick’em on the grill for grill marks....some things just make me grind my teeth.

I’ve got a brother-in-law that will put a perfectly grilled boneless ribeye steak on his plate and cover it with ketchup—You are correct, I do not grill steaks when he is here....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I discussed how to cook the brisket with my wife. One way that I do it is braised in stout and veggies and finished with a bourbon and peach jam glaze. The other way is Texas style. We are going Texas style. Either way is great.

Since I have been told it is a six pound brisket I am thinking that it is only the flat with the point removed. That makes it tricky to do right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Its not too bad. If you are scared of it drying out you can fold it back up underneath itself and tie it off. So it looks like the whole flat is one thickness. Then during the cook you can release it and let it cook normally.

I still havent been able to find pork shanks to make the Pig Wings. LOL. But Im on a mission.

16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^^

I wish we had a n emoji for “ ‘atta boy”.....

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ve got fresh ground boneless chuck roast for hamburger steaks.

Inside Ms. Jan has a pot of fresh pinkeye peas rolling and a pot of red potatoes, onions, and butter cooking slow.

Inside labors today with laundry and house cleaning.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    What I will miss is the fat that is normally on the point and my experience with briskets that are only the flat is that too much fat is removed by the butcher rendering it not great for smoking. Braising can be OK. To melt all the connective tissue might require more fat than is there. I might add some bacon if I have it. I do have lard that I use for making bird blocks and might use some of that if it looks like there isn't enough fat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Good news! The fat cap was ample.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Simple and good tonight. Grilling chicken wings with a cold tray on the side.

Some hedge trimming and weed-eater work today and then a few ice cold longnecks as the day winds down.

• Like Like x 1