Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling Bar-B-Crewed chicken halves tonight with baked potatoes and bi-color cob corn on the grill too.

Fresh steamed yellow squash and onions going on inside.

Afternoon thunderstorms will be passing through about 3 pm and cool things off a bit. Ice cold longnecks on the back porch while listening to the rain on the tin roof is always relaxing.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Went to Publix today. Got some things for making green chicken posole tomorrow, a six pound pork shoulder to be smoked soon, a sweet onion (the missing ingredient for Carolina slaw ... I have the rest ... you really need that with pulled pork), and some very nice bone-in pork chops. Also three pounds ground turkey (we use that in a lot of easy dishes, like tacos, chili, etc.) and a pound of ground pork (also needed in smaller quantities for things that I make like Bolognese sauce and a soup I make with mustard greens and Oriental seasonings and noodles).

Lots of other things as well.

I forgot black peppercorns. Doh!

And I forgot to get some more coarse corn meal. It was not on the list, but should have been. I use that for making "blocks" to feed the birds. It also needs oatmeal, lard, crunchy peanut butter, flour and sugar. The catbirds are chowing down right now before migration and it is hard to keep up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ve got boneless country cut ribs to grill indirect over cherry wood smoke. Also there will be some more of the fresh bi-color cob corn on the grill.

Inside we’ve got more of the fresh steamed yellow squash and onions and green cabbage.

Back porch ice cold longnecks are looked forward to this afternoon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The green (tomatillo based) posole is in progress. Gawd does it make a lot of dishes to clean and lots of steps with cooling times in between. It requires what amounts to frying the sauteed tomatillo and onion pureed with uncooked cilantro, garlic, and jalapeno as a crucial step. I have needed this same frying technique with some Italian sauces that were tomato and garbanzo bean based. You have to be careful because it will splatter.

Time to unload and reload the dishwasher before moving on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am not sure what a boneless rib is, but you country folks have your own secrets.

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Not sure how Publix may cut or mark them but WD will have both bone-in country cut ribs and boneless...the bone-in carries about a 5” long bone and the meat portion of it is about 4 1/2” long kinda quarter moon shaped. The boneless is the same cut just without the bone.

The bone-in ribs grill fine over regular grill heat but the boneless are much better grilled indirect.

Now if somebody’s over bought on Boston butts and thin cuts them up and packages them as “country style ribs”, leave them right there—they are tough any way you fix them.

7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Just joshing with you. It made no sense to say that a rib (a bone in the chest) was boneless.

Hey, I make carnitas out of boneless Boston butt and it is really good. You just have know know what you have. You end up frying the meat in its own fat. Really great stuff for Mexican tacos.

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have a pork shoulder and I have the time either tomorrow or Saturday. When should I smoke it for pulled pork?

I say the sooner the better.

I know that I usually do this on a weekend day, but when you are semi-retired and all of your grading is over a Friday is just like any other day.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I agree Lurk, the sooner the better.

Another way to look at it is to tell yourself “Don’t threaten me with a good time”....

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A six pounder, about 8 hours in, and still on the plateau. I was hoping to pull it off at 5:00 and shred at 6:00. Looking like it will be a bit later.

Added in edit: Off the plateau 9.5 hours in and in the low 180's F. Probably another hour before it gets taken off and maybe not wait the full hour of rest before pulling.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’s chili over rice topped with Sargento shredded sharp cheese.

That’s right, that means tomorrow’s lunch will be chili-cheese dogs!

The ice cold longnecks have done their job on the back porch this afternoon/evening for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Used leftover Bolognese sauce last night. Found a 2003 no big deal Bordeaux in the wine cellar to drink with it. I bet we paid about $18 to $20 for it way back then. It was a few years past its prime, but not bad. Not oxidized, but not as good as it would have been a few years ago.

Tonight is Thai take-out. You gotta support the local restaurants.

Tomorrow will be something quick as we will be visiting friends (ten feet apart in their driveway) to share some wine. Maybe the pork chops I bought recently and a salad.

But Tuesday will be fun. My wife asked me "What is this bomba rice for?" that was in our pantry. Paella! She just had to read the Spanish on the bag: arroz de paella. Now paella is not one thing. It varies from place to place. I like mine with mussels, shrimp, chorizo (Spanish or Portuguese (chourico), not Mexican. Mexican chorizo is totally different), chicken, and veggies. Someone from the Spanish coast would do it only with seafood.

And I have a good supply of saffron threads. It took me a few minutes to find them and I was getting worried when I did not find them right away. A little goes a long way and that is a good thing. They are expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Warming up leftover enchiladas for tonight. Paella tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I am officially jealous!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are having smothered fried steak, fresh green beans and bi-color cob corn, and rice & gravy.

For the second time this week they are replaying Game 7/CWS 2000/LSU vs Stanford. It would make these ice cold longnecks go down a lot smoother if they would spread it around some. They could just as easily be showing Game 7/CWS 2017/LSU vs UF.....Sooo, I’m calling BS on whoever is in charge of COVID 19 scheduling—other than that

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I couldn't find fresh mussels so I am defrosting some Cedar Key clams to use instead for the paella.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight is leftovers night. Ms. Jan and a neighbor of ours will finish off the smothered fried steak, green beans, cob corn, and rice and gravy.
    I will be finishing the chili over rice covered in shredded sharp cheddar.

Back porch time with ice cold longnecks after some yard work today watching the sun go down.

18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I mowed the lawn today (about half of an acre with a walk behind mower) and walked our dog (a miniature Aussie that my wife agreed to take without asking me. I am fine with that. She is a sweetheart. My wife and the dog) about 8 miles. That dog needs a lot of activity.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Have you guys caught any of Jim Gaffigan’s “Let’s Get Cookin’” segments on you-tube? Some good ole quarantine cooking mischief! Worth a chuckle or 2:

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Ketchup on a hot dog?

Travesty!

Mustard, sport peppers, dill relish, celery salt, pickle spear, onions, tomato are the correct toppings.

And it needs a poppy seed bun.

I am from Chicago and so I have strong opinions about hot dogs.

I like Hebrew National dogs, but I like Vienna Beef dogs even more.

Oscar Mayer dogs? Never.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1