Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Some chili powder in the mix really brings fried catfish to life, maybe instead of the black pepper. One of my buddies makes the best fried catfish, but all it is is louisiana seasoned fish fry with some salt and chili powder added.

Since you already have the oil hot, it's a good time to try those bosque fries I've mentioned before. Same buddy makes those for us.. About 70/30 russets and sweet potatoes sliced into fries, sliced onion, and a jar of sliced jalapeno's. I don't even like jalapeno's, and only like onions when they're more blended into something, but the fries are amazing. Little salt when they come out of the oil and waaalaaa.

Now that I'm typing all this out, I wonder if the amount of bourbon usually flowing when we're out at the lake for a fish fry has anything to do with how great the food is......hmmmm....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Yep, the Louisiana seasoning/Zataran’s/Old Bay’s is pretty much interchangeable depending on your preferred taste. Never tried the chili powder before though.

3. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Not really even enough chili powder to make it spicy. I never knew what exactly it was that set his fish apart, but thats all it was. Never would have guessed it, cause it doesn't really add any heat.

I'm not even talking about the louisiana seasoning, just their pre seasoned fish fry mix, though the louisiana cajun is my go to for everything. I do like all those seasonings or pretty much any cajun or blackened seasoning. Zatarans, slap ya mama, tony c's, louisiana, chef paul's... Put it on everything, eggs, potatoes, sandwiches, meat, definitely in any kind of dry batter for frying, whatever.

We just got one of those propane flat irons/griddles and I've been using it a lot. Did hibachi the other night, breakfast, burgers...used it just about every day since I put it together. We don't have a grill at our new place yet and since the grill i want is pretty expensive, figured I'd pick up on of these things. It's a lot more versatile and the only thing I'll really miss the grill for is a steak, and the wife don't eat steak so I rarely make one at home anyway. My mom's house is right across the highway so I can always run throw something on the grill there if I really want to.

Another cool device we just picked up is the ninja foodi. Braise, broil, bake, pressure cook, air fry, little thing can do it all. I've been enjoying it too. Makes awesome potatoes, pressure cook em to get em done fast, then switch to the air fryer mode to crisp em up. We did a pork loin in it the other day. It was amazing and took hardly any time at all. Braised each side for a couple minutes, then pressure cooked for about 5. Delicious and super tender.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is the chicken enchiladas. Last might my MIL wanted to buy us dinner so we got take-out Thai.

We did make the green enchilada sauce. I helped by roasting the poblano peppers and when my wife said that it needed more kick so I dosed it with six bird peppers.

Cannot wait for dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Which Thai takeout?

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Wah Ha Ha

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  7. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I’ll have to look it up. How is it?

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Very good. Even a Thai colleague likes it. It is in the old Bahn Thai space.

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pork tenderloin baked with teriyaki and sesame sauces.

Roasted veggies afterward as the pork tenderloin rests.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks. We used to eat at the Bahn Thai lunch buffet often

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Defrosting some ground chuck and sirloin for making burgers later. Not as good as freshly ground chuck, but it will be OK.

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We’ve got a pot of homemade hamburger vegetable soup smelling up the house. Grilled cheese sandwiches in the cast iron frying pan to go with.

Ice cold longnecks sure do help to relax watching the sun set.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Got the KJ going for burgers. I like to do them at 400 C and indirect on the KJ. I used to cook them at a bit higher temperature over direct heat before I got a kamado style grill, but then I had to watch them like a hawk so that they didn't cause a flare up and ignite the very fatty burger patties. Indirect heat precludes that possibility.

And I cook burgers a bit beyond medium. There is a lot of meat surface area that is subjected to bacterial infection so you need to kill the bacteria all the way through. This is even true when you freshly grind because the outer surface of the meat gets ground into the middle of the ground meat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Defrosted some boneless loin cut pork chops for a stir fry. My wife is picking up veggies from our Asian market. This is in her wheelhouse so I will step back and enjoy the result. Maybe be employed for chopping veggies. And do all the dishes.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight Ms. Jan wants BBQ chicken halves on the grill. Seasoning will be coarse ground black pepper, Everglades seasoning, and Pat’s Homade on the last two turns. Also on the grill will be fresh cob bi-color corn.

Inside we’ve got fresh steamed green cabbage and fresh steamed yellow squash and vidalia onions.

Back porch ice cold longnecks will be assisting the cook this afternoon.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, we didn't do the Chinese veggies and pork last night. Instead we got take-out from Gyro Plus. They are really great and I was happy to give them some business. Tonight the plan is the Chinese veggies and pork.

Chilling a dry Riesling from Trisaetum in Oregon to pair with dinner. Dry Riesling is WAY better than the sweet version of the wine and Trisaetum makes a stellar version. Good luck finding it at your liquor store, though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’m putting a 10 lb shank portion ham on the Green Egg over applewood smoke this morning for our Easter meal.

To go along with it we will have homemade potato salad, cream 40’s & petite butter beans, fresh fried okra, and deviled eggs. Ms. Jan is doing some yeast rolls to have also.

The ice cold longnecks will be assisting the cook after noon time.

Happy Easter to everyone even with the social distancing that we are enduring is upon us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Makin a prime rib in the big easy. Also makin a copycat recipe for the shiner bock beer bread they serve at saltgrass steakhouse. First attempt at bread making. I cooked half the dough last night, and it seemed a little heavy, maybe, not real sure what I screwed up. Gonna add some water to the dough before I cook the rest and see if I can make it any fluffier. Think I may have added too much flour while kneading. Mom is gonna make some sides, and she made a pound cake for dessert. Also have to cook a chicken breast on the grill for my wife cause she don't like steak for some reason.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinner tonight will be very nontraditional for Easter, but everything is turned upside down this year so why not. We have some leftover pork from the pork tenderloin from a few days ago and we have some Vietnamese rice noodles and some chicken broth. I think that I also have some Korean bean paste. Sounds like a good soup to me. And we have mushrooms and baby bok choy as a side dish.

I want to try smoking a "picnic" some day like @74nole but it then becomes a question of waking up that early or staying up that late. Even though I am 65 I don't usually get up in the night except if my dog gets me up or I am really thirsty.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife bought an 8 pound pork shoulder. I am going to have a very early morning soon.