Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Last week I had some carrot and ginger soup which was sublime. I didn’t cook it though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My son loves my carrot bisque. I had a bowl at the Island Hotel in Cedar Key, liked it, and reproduced it in my own kitchen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As good as it is to come home today, it’s been an exhausting event too.

Ms. Jan’s making a pot of chicken’n’rice.....

• Like Like x 3
  4. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Glad you are home buddy. Take it easy and heal quick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Freshman

May 9, 2015
    Great to have you back Bill and so happy that you are back home with your family. Diamond Gators was not the same without your presence. Stay well, my friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    We used to feed our dog chicken and rice when he was not feeling well. :^)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Clam linguini tonight and smoking two turkey breasts tomorrow. By smoking I mean cooking with some smoke and not going low and slow. More like a 325 F cook with some apple wood.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I got yelled at for buying a gallon of apple cider as part of the turrkey breast brine. I bet nobody complains about the result.

9. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I have used that as well. I started using apple juice and I think I like it better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. brandonmiller84

brandonmiller84 Recruit

Dec 20, 2019
    Florida,FL
    Agree lol, doing the same for years now and couldn't be happier.

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It's not too sweet? Do you add a lot of apple cider vinegar to cut the sweetness?

Tonight is lol leftovers and soon I need to deal with a 6+ lb standing rib roast that was under $5 per pound. When it is that cheap they are moving it before it gets old so I cannot wait for Christmas dinner to cook it. It is either soon or the freezer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan continues to just kill it cooking inside while I’m restricted to the amount of weight I can lift without undoing things....

Last night was the equivalent of beef stew with us substituting venison backstrap. Cornbread on the side.

Tonight she is doing chicken alfredo—about the only thing we do a lil’ different making it is to add one bundle of cut broccoli tops in with the linguine the last 4 minutes of it’s cooking time.

Hope everyone in Gator Nation gets to have the Christmas with your family that you want.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Yesterday I roasted a standing rib roast to my wife's perfection (medium rare). I like it a little redder. Took it out of the oven when the internal temperature was 123 F and let it rest. I would have preferred taking it out at 115 F. Lemony rosemary roasted redskins and an arugula/French lentil salad for sides.

Right now I have a 16 lb turkey on the KJ with some apple wood roasting at 300 F. No need to "low and slow" a turkey. Mashed potatoes and Brussels sprout along with "stuffing" for sides. We still call it that even though it never sees the turkey cavity.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan’s got it going on tonight with homemade chicken’n’dumplings and a pot of fresh pink eye peas with snaps.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grouper with a panko/macadamia nut topping and yellow rice pilaf.

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    With all that has happened naturally my doctors had the talk about my need to aggressively cut back on grilling the ribeye cut of steaks—:(

So, I looked at him and said OK (like I was supposed to)!

Alan’s in town and is grilling filet mignon for us tonight with smaller baked potatoes and a fresh Caesar salad.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I did a prime rib and some lobster tails, both on my big easy infrared fryer. First time for both, and both were outstanding. Wasn't sure how either would work out, especially the lobster as I only found one other who'd tried it, but both were really good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    This was posted in the pub on Christmas by @gatorknights and since some of the folks here probably don't wander through there I thought it might be nice in this thread.
    Capture.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan continues to do some mighty good work in the kitchen—

Tonight we had chicken fried steak, homemade mac & cheese, fresh yellow squash and vidalia onions, and pink eye peas with snaps—

I’m missing the grill for sure, but I’m still a few days away from being able to handle the different weights of things out in front of me I need to both lift and control—no worries though, good times are coming—

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Got a late call to get the KJ ready for rib eyes or the like. I need to start it up in just a few minutes.

I spent the day reglazing windows (6 light over 6 light double hung is a lot of glazing) and doing an epoxy wood repair on one window sash. It was close to pulling the sash and making a new rail. If it was my house I would have done that.

• Informative Informative x 1