Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Whatever you do, don't buy a used graphics card under any circumstances right now

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by philnotfil, Jun 22, 2022.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    An interesting consequence of the crypto crash.

Whatever you do, don't buy a used graphics card under any circumstances right now

We've all been waiting for graphics cards to make their way into our hands for a while now, and even though it might be tempting, whatever you do, resist the urge to buy a cheap graphics card right now on a resale site, even if it claims to be new.

With the recent bursting of the crypto bubble, there is now a flood of the best graphics cards on the market hitting major resale sites and even live-streamed auctions, according to Wccftech(opens in new tab). The scrupulous sellers, as far as resellers go, are at least telling you that these cards are used. Many, though, will claim that they are new and they might even package them up as if they are brand new.

In any case, you absolutely need to stay away from these cards, no matter how cheap they appear to be. Whatever the price is, it isn't worth it. Here's why.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    My PC is barely hanging on because Im waiting to get a decent price on a gfx card. Next PC I build is going to be a good one - no compromises but there's no way Im paying current MSRP.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    My 980 Ti from years ago is just hanging in there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Hows everything going with your career? I know we were kinda on the same start line jumping into IT.

Im now a Sys Engineer with an MSP out of New York. Been working remotely for 3 years now. I've been procrastinating but Im finally starting to get my certs in Azure going. I'm sitting for AZ900 next week and then AZ 103 (Or I may go O365) my boss wants me to go O365 first then the Admin side of Azure after that. Fun times!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    That's great to hear! How do you like working remotely? We did it for a few months during the onset of Covid and I did not like it near as much as I thought I would. In fact, I was pretty excited to get back into the office.

I'm still doing the Systems Analyst thing in this industrial environment. We've made a really big push in our cybersecurity posture. We've had some 3rd party pentesters come in and try and make it to our process control networks and the results have been eye opening. Malware and script kiddies are one thing, but professional pentesters are out of this world. I've been able to read a report or two of their findings and like I said, mind blowing. In a perfect world, IT and OT networks would be completely segregated, but there is just too much crossover for real time data analytics, historical data archiving, etc.

I was going to go for the CISSP, but changed my mind. I'm good with my current position, and I'm not sure everything going into passing the CISSP and staying in good standings with CE credits, etc, is going to help me that much at this point. My GF has a really good job and works remotely 80% of the time, and wants me to go remote. If I get called up to the big leagues (corporate IT), I would be almost completely remote. I just don't know if I want to do that. I like my co-workers and my roles here, and don't really like remote work. Time will tell, I guess.

Good luck on those certs. It's such a great feeling walking out of Pearson Vue or wherever you take the exams and knowing you passed. You fill like you could conquer the world, lol.