Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What you saw tonight vs Tenn

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by hatter18, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM.

1. hatter18

hatter18 Sophomore

Dec 9, 2018
    Is a clear example, yet again, that we have ZERO identity as a program. Tenn has a system and philosophy, recruits to it, and develops their kids, this why their sum is better than their parts.

We have a collection of mismatched pieces, no real idea what we want to do or who we are as a program in year 4, especially on O, and it shows.

2 programs going in opposite directions.

35+ 3s again tonight and punished down low and on boards, and no matter how many more good guards/wings we bring in without much better talent down low and a clear program identity, we won't get much better.

Hate on me all you want, but that's a fact.

We also badly need someone to help Mike coach offense. The DDO has to go

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull All American

Feb 22, 2017
    Cool story, bro. Tell it again.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I know a former poster who would sometimes text me similar. But than said he was wrong all along and that White is great, and a joy to watch. Then he would flip back, before flipping back yet again.

He also reversed fields on a claim that White couldn’t recruit.

This former posters would vacillate between loving and hating White. And so, I provided him no credibility. I would generally laugh at him.

You and he would probably share Similar opinion… At least for this very moment in time. I haven’t spoken with him in a little while… But I’m sure he was watching tonight. Unlike you, however, I don’t think he is a season ticket holder.

Anyway, I’m surprised you didn’t go to the game tonite.... seeing that you have season tickets. Heck, you might’ve seen JHarvey there tonite. As I recall... he too was a season ticket holder.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:14 PM
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Submit your resume, maybe you'll get the next HC job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  5. garygator27

garygator27 Sophomore

Mar 28, 2017
    I think I heard MW say what our identity is tonight. “Let it fly”. That’s seems about right, especially under ten minutes left in any close game we play. We stop passing, stop moving, and take bad shots. We still have no inside presence, and even the guys that have gotten hurt or left weren’t skilled enough to be a Grant Williams or Schofield coming out of HS. Until we get some competent guys that can score at the basket, we won’t be a great team, especially when we resort to hero ball.

6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Tenn never got rattled, stayed composed and took care of business. We looked like a middle school girls team the last few minutes. Why has Hudson and Stone regressed this season? They were two that we should be counting on to score this season but have absolutely got worse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Team next year will be very talented and experienced. It sucks for guys like KA but next year we will have the talent to score. Just got to get through this year sadly.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    We should have stayed with Nembhard, Allen, Locke, Johnson/Ballard , Bassett most of the game. That combination had them on the ropes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Grow up.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    You should post that you are a booster and may not be willing to donate much longer.
    We haven't heard that one in a little while.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  11. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    I do like White and I am rooting for him, but I am not sure why Foley felt we were a program who needed to pick a coach who would learn on the job..

The lack of balance on this team is completely on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. paidinfull

paidinfull All American

Feb 22, 2017
    Make it happen then, moneybags. You're the big whale booster, yea?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Barnes is an experienced coach who is doing very well in the SEC/Tennessee. People in Texas were getting tired of Barnes' teams/results in the NCAAs. We'll see how well Tennessee does in the post-season - a program with a track record of mediocre success.Rick Barnes - Wikipedia

(Since 2009, Texas could not advance past the 1st week of the NCAAs - 7x)

White is a coach who is still developing and maybe going through growing pains. I hope that he will soon have a better appreciation to establish the post-offense and play more inside-out. Defensively, sometimes you have to just play man-to man (i.e, late in the game) at times but I like the 1-3-1 zone: it gave Florida a chance earlier in the game.

14. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    I actually am a booster! Hoops boosters are a small group. And I won't be renewing next year. I've seen enough of this guy's "approach."

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    "Much longer?" LOL. I'm done after this year.

But it's cool - I'm sure by about 2026, White will really figure it out and I'll be proven wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. paidinfull

paidinfull All American

Feb 22, 2017
    I'm sure the lack of your presence will be felt program wide.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:06 PM
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    Hah. Dude, we have a difference of opinion about Coach White. No need to get salty.

I'm sure others agree w/ me, while others will want to give it another year or 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. GatorKP

GatorKP Junior

Jul 30, 2011
    —-
    I mean this as no disrespect. But you have a serious love for Mike White. If anybody says anything at all, you’re quick to defend him. Just curious but do you see any flaws in his coaching? Seems if we lost to an NAIA school and somebody criticized him, you would jump on that poster quite quickly. I’ll support any coach we have, but it’s okay to point out mistakes even if we have a weird unnatural love for said coach ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. garygator27

garygator27 Sophomore

Mar 28, 2017
    Steal the ball, down by 2, a minute 10 seconds left, you have a 3 on 2 fast break. Instead of attacking and getting a layup, we take a three that was actually challenged nicely on transition defense by UT. Who takes the blame for that? You have to get a good shot in that situation. First half, maybe the three is ok to take there, but down 2 with a minute left, get to the basket.

I hope we get an explanation as to why KA was not in the game the last minute. Bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Getting salty is what you are doing trying to turn your back on a program while being a so called booster. If we lose a booster who would turn his back after a close loss to a top 5 team then we don't need snowflake boosters like that anyway. Good riddance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1