Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What were YOUR Preseason Preconceptions of the Team vs Current Play?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorbogey, Jan 23, 2020.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think it was a mistake and almost disservice, now, (looking back), to sorta saddle Mann with the (possible) “one and done” mantle. Expectations go thru the roof. Fans get disappointed instead of allowing the freshman to grow and mature on a normal trajectory.

but who knows, the light could flip on for him and anyone else, for that matter, and he could go off like a monster! Lead us to 12 straight wins to close out the season and post-season in March?!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    My expectations are similar to the original posters. For how the new players have held up to expectations:

Lewis: Has fit in about as I expected. He was a top player because of defense and athleticism. He has brought that. To expect much of anything on offense was foolish unless you thought we were going to be heavy DDO and he would break people down and get to the rim all day. I didn’t see him as a one and done with his limited offensive game. I’ve seen the uber athletic guy with limited game before (James White) and it didn’t work out because he didn’t develop other skills. At least Lewis has a good attitude and loves defense.
    Mann: Has been a disappointment so far, but it’s still early. Lots of talk from practice that he was the best of the freshmen. So far that hasn’t translated to games. You can see the skills but I think he is swimming in his head and thinking too much. Once it comes naturally again he will be good.
    Payne: Surpassed expectations. Much more skilled around the basket on offense than I was expecting. High percentage of his short shots go in. Free throws are a problem. Defense and rebounding are solid as well.
    Jitoboh: Have not seen much but I have liked what little I have seen. More of a lumbering big than an athlete like Payne, but he has some skills.
    Blackshear: Mostly as expected. I’ve been impressed with his rebounding and a little disappointed at how many of his shots around the basket miss. I see why the NBA didn’t come calling because his athleticism is not in the same ballpark as someone like Payne.

• Like Like x 1
  3. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    In November MW thought they would start to gell by February, hopefully earlier. They seem to be on schedule. Anything better than 10 loses seems about right for expectations but wouldnt be shocked with 12 in this crazy year. This is also the first year that is clearly his team - no holdovers. Next couple of years should be better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I just read an article about the 5 star Freshmen, Whitney, at KY. 3 points in SEC play so far. Please keep in mind that all of the hype about most incoming Freshmen is just writers earnings paycheck. Just because some geek says we're a one or two seed because a burger boy or two is on the team doesn't mean we're great.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend regardless of how the game plays out. Take care and have fun.

• Like Like x 2
  5. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I was expecting to see Gak contribute

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Top 10, borderline top 5 team.

I figured we’d have some bumps early in the road. But mainly close game losses, not the boring uninspired blow outs. I thought we’d begin to hit our stride around now and it seems like we are.

Top 5/10 corresponds to great showings in the SECT and NCAAT, but that can really be a crapshoot.

The key for a successful season is for people to think UF is a legit top 10 team in about a month (not necessarily the polls, but rather odds to win the title).

7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It is still up to MW to recruit and develop players. At the end of the day we are striving to be a top 10-15 bball program.

Whether MW gets their via 5 star recruits, or developing 1 stars into studs, or via some advanced scheme ultimately doesn’t matter. What matters is he gets us there

8. jpullen

jpullen Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Thought they would struggle early as the young guys adapted to the speed of the game. Never imagined that they would be so schizophrenic or played like they had multiple personality disorder. Can you say Sybil? Can you say lack of coaching?

Wish Billy the Kid would come to his senses and come back hone where he belongs.

9. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    I expected a Top 15 team that could make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Looks like they are going to be lucky to make the NCAA tournament at this rate.

10. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I expected a team that wouldn't get blown out on their home court multiple times in a season (a disturbing trend btw).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorgab

gatorgab Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I ńever expected to have FSU surpass us as the preeminent team in Florida. Thank you Mike White!

12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    January isn't over yet!

• Funny Funny x 1