Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

What should have been

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by BSBLGATOR, Mar 20, 2020.

1. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    This year was supposed to be different. It was to be a celebration. The final year of McKethan was creating a buzz prior to even the first pitch being thrown. Excitement was all around as preseason rankings starting pouring out. This team was ranked all over the map due to a rough season last year. There were those who had them down and some were high coming after a good fall camp. At this point no one really knew what to think.

Then came Valentine's Day and we all celebrated the dawning of a new season. Lots of familiar faces but they looked different. They looked hardened and chiseled from last year. There was a fire in their gut that radiated out of their eyes. They looked like formidable warriors. The sophomores who took lumps as freshmen looked comfortable and in charge, the juniors stepped up their games and we had two of them leading the charge on the mound. The seniors wise in their age with Langworthy being the ballast of the ship and Kirby who had transformed himself into our everyday third baseman was playing like a little kid enjoying the game. This year's freshmen were not looked at to be thrown into the fire but they fed off the energy of the guys who had been there before and they shined.

What you saw play out on the field was family. Brothers who would not quit but relentlessly fight for each other. Each day would bring a new hero forward and each day the others celebrated their brother. Each brother uniquely talented and gifted pulling the rope in the same direction was harmonious. Whether they were up or down, they fought and they fought together!

When the dust settled they were a unanimous number one in all the polls. Previous years this final ranking would have been preceded by dog fights and a dog pile in Omaha. This year none of that has or will happen. So in a year that was supposed to be different, it was.

My heart breaks for them now. Scattered across the state and southeast, hunkered down with no games to play. What was supposed to be a swan song for the Mac and a triumphant year for the Gators has ended. Sure the Gators will play baseball again but this team in this capacity will not. It is sad. They say you never forget your college friends, this team will never forget their college brothers and what should have been. In turn I do not think any of us will forget them either.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  2. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Too bad for all the athletes around the country who had their seasons cut short and for UF, it would have been really interesting to see how the season played out. The team got off to obviously a really good start and while this wasn’t one of Sully’s best teams (who granted have all been really good for the most part), it was one that definitely could have competed for a spot in Omaha.

We’ll see what happens going forward with the possibility of no MLB Draft and seniors possibly returning but either way, UF is loaded for the future with another really good signing class coming in to join a really talented roster. But again, it does stink that we lost this season and what might have been.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    We will never know.

Was Mace a true Friday guy this year? He would have had opportunities against guys like Hancock, Lacy, Burns, Hickman, Henry, etc. I would have loved to see him get the chance. A loaded set of top arms in the SEC this year.

Was the real Leftwich the one against Miami and the one for the first 6 innings of USF or the one against Troy?

Those two questions combined with McMullen at the plate (he might come back, right?) were what I think was still not answered after 4 weeks. The rest of the squad looked ready and very good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Coulda—

Shoulda—

Woulda—

What a great group of Gators to have this happen—I do believe that the opinions and sentiments already expressed in this thread are spot on—

What the future holds for this group is completely unknown at this point however all of us I strongly suspect want nothing but the best for them.

Keep your heads up Gators because Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Those Gator Boys had all the pieces. That and some good fortune gets you to Omaha and then who knows what can happen.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
    upload_2020-3-20_19-13-18.jpeg
    The Gator World will never know.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. macbgator

macbgator Premium Member

Loved this GATOR TEAM, and it is a shame they did not get to fulfill their dreams in Omaha this year!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I think this team would have won the CWS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Licking a tootsie pop by the gator nation at this stage - with a pandemic loose, might not be the best advice! Could help expedite herd immunity, though!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I can't say we'd have won a NC, but this team was damned loaded to do it though. We lost to an fsu team we played down to and that stung, but overall, this lock-down has bummed me out. I honestly believe this team could have won 50 games in the regular season, possibly more.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL
    I don’t think we were on that level yet. I think we would have struggled to score against some of these pitchers in the SEC. However it’s too bad the freshman didn’t get that experience because I think that can be a special group.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1