Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What people think of the 70s. and 80s

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dnewhous, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamgator96

adamgator96 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Broke my heart, gatordavisl. Jack Black is just a chubby Rich Little. Tenacious D is just Vanilla Ice with acoustic guitars. Unoriginal hacks.

Thijs van Leer is a golden god.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dnewhous

dnewhous Senior

Dec 2, 2007
    NIceville, FL
    Part of that Bram Stoker's retitling phenomenon the version of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with Sean Connery has been re-titled Sword of the Valiant. The plot is that the Green Knight comes to take the Holy Grail from King Arthur. Sir Gawain cuts off his head and the Green Knight vows to return in a year and return the favor.

There's also a love story involving a character named "Linet." The problem is that character only appears in written form in Le Morte D'Athur and not in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. So attributing JRR Tolkien as the original writer, doesn't wash.

Correction, this version is not available on Amazon prime, and the DVD is expensive.

Dracula update - the history of Vlad the impaler leaves off his birthplace! The castle in the movie isn't fake. He's also considered Romanian rather than Serbian or some such.

K, the 2020 Dracula lists Orava castle as the shooting location. -->That's the real castle Dracula. It is medieval.<-- As in real medieval, not dark ages. Stuff from the dark ages frankly looks too much like it was built by the Roman empire.

The direct sequel to Dracula has Risen from the Grave is Taste the Blood of Dracula. It starts with the crucifix scene that ended Dracula has Risen from the Grave. Followed by the Scars of Dracula. That does have the appearance of Simon, a character used for the Castlevania franchise. Simon's name is Simon Carlson.

I think the name of the movie that's missing is For the Love of Dracula.

K, by real castle Dracula I meant the birthplace of Vlad the impaler. He was born in Romania. They finally have that information up. The book gives us two hints. One is the woefully mispelled city of Bistrita, Romania. The book spells it "Bistritz," which is a city in Bulgaria. The fact that it is now well established that Vlad the impaler was born and died in Romania we can dismiss that city as a mispelling. The other substantial hint from the book is the Borgo Pass. They are on the map. Which means the real castle Dracula is off to the west somewhere.

I was not able to light on any map or work giving the exact locality of the Castle Dracula, as there are no maps of this country as yet to compare with our own Ordnance Survey maps; but I found that Bistritz, the post town named by Count Dracula, is a fairly well-known place.

Stoker, Bram. Dracula (p. 3). Jovian Press. Kindle Edition.

The child gave a sharp cry, and lay there moaning. There was a cold-bloodedness in the act which wrung a groan from Arthur; when she advanced to him with outstretched arms and a wanton smile he fell back and hid his face in his hands. She still advanced, however, and with a languorous, voluptuous grace, said:— “Come to me, Arthur. Leave these others and come to me. My arms are hungry for you. Come, and we can rest together. Come, my husband, come!” There was something diabolically sweet in her tones—something of the tingling of glass when struck—which rang through the brains even of us who heard the words addressed to another. As for Arthur, he seemed under a spell; moving his hands from his face, he opened wide his arms. She was leaping for them, when Van Helsing sprang forward and held between them his little golden crucifix. She recoiled from it, and, with a suddenly distorted face, full of rage, dashed past him as if to enter the tomb.

Stoker, Bram. Dracula (p. 275). Jovian Press. Kindle Edition.

The Critic, is a great take on Regan/Clinton era controversies. Gotta watch it.

The original vampire novel is Carmilla. Or maybe Faust, because Faust the movie is so similar to Nosferatu. Black and White. They're not as interesting as Dracula.

If that's linked to anything it's Prisoner of Vampires.

"and that if any waterway was chosen for the Count’s escape back to his Castle, the Sereth and then the Bistritza at its junction, would be the one."

Stoker, Bram. Dracula (p. 463). Jovian Press. Kindle Edition.

Siret River Romania. is what google maps warps me to

The Bistrita River runs through Bistrita town, and runs south into the Sieu River.

The Borgo Pass comes up as Pasul Birgaului. Google is better at fuzzy searches than bing.

And on satellite image - there is nothing there!

In Carmilla the only hint I see is that the castle has a drawbridge. The only castle that fits - Corvinus castle. That's how corvinus gets involved in those underworld movies.

But wait, Hotel castle Dracula! It looks more like a castle than anything else in the area. That's it. That's all that's left.

That that part of the world is known as Transylvania is true. The question arises, what is the origin of the term?

Transylvania, Romanian Transilvania, Hungarian Erdély, German Siebenbürgen, historic eastern European region, now in Romania. After forming part of Hungary in the 11th–16th centuries, it was an autonomous principality within the Ottoman Empire (16th–17th century) and then once again became part of Hungary at the end of the 17th century. It was incorporated into Romania in the first half of the 20th century. The region, whose name first appeared in written documents in the 12th century, covered a territory bounded by the Carpathian Mountains on the north and east, the Transylvanian Alps on the south, and the Bihor Mountains on the west. The neighbouring regions of Maramureș, Crișana, and Banat have also, on occasion, been considered part of Transylvania.

The girl in Underworld who I think may be Carmilla is named Erika

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  3. dnewhous

dnewhous Senior

Dec 2, 2007
    NIceville, FL
    IIRC and this memory is slim, the original Dracula book is mentioned in Prisoner of Vampires, and its earlier than Bram Stoker's. For the Love of Dracula and Dracula has Risen from the Grave are similar. Both are fine movies. But For the Love of Dracula is the one that makes your jaw hit the floor. It's just, better. It suggests they are both from similar source material. Which means Carmilla has an antecedent. This is where I imitate Dave Barry and say ninininini (Twilight zone theme).

Does anyone know about the weirdness with To Live and Die in LA being a Terminator movie?

The idea was re-used in Sea Lab 2021 where the black guy is a robot. They ask him if he thought it was okay if there were robots, his reply "If I were to answer your questions, you would go insane!" rings a bell.

I think there's something about it in The Ring but I have to watch without falling asleep.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. dnewhous

dnewhous Senior

Dec 2, 2007
    NIceville, FL
    A gem from the critic, Smokey and the Spartacus

it made me concerned they would alter movie endings and they have.

5. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    80's kid here....love the 70's music and about of the misic from the 80's...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. dnewhous

dnewhous Senior

Dec 2, 2007
    NIceville, FL
    Here's a clip from the original drama

7. dnewhous

dnewhous Senior

Dec 2, 2007
    NIceville, FL
    The novel Prisoner of Vampires says that Dracula is the eldest son of Vlad the Impaler.

I think my literary analysis technique is called "cross insinuation."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  8. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I love the 70's music. Early in the decade you had some sixties sounds that morphed into some great classic rock. I started that decade as a little girl and ended a UF student. To this day Boston reminds me of keg parties and my parent's motel on the beach. Good times! The 80's music all sounded the same. Meh. My kids even wish they grew up in the 70's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    You are not allowed to bump your own thread back to the top once it moves off the first page. Locking this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.