Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What people think of the 70s. and 80s

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dnewhous, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I’m a Chicago fan and an original music purist if that makes sense. There’s one band alive that mimics an original band. The band is called Leonid and Friends.

Enjoy

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was at that show too

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL

Literally just a couple weeks after I just moved down here, the Eagles and Buffett played in a set up just like that. Linda Ronstadt was there as well. Awesome show, plus I could go in a t shirt and shorts in January. Gainesville had me right out of the gate.

• Like Like x 2
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Another old fart! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    That's really the only downer from that era, couldn't beat those damn dawgs.

6. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Those guys nailed it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hadn't heard about them before. They're the extremely rare cover band that sounds almost as good as the original. Incredible sound.

• Like Like x 1
  8. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Never was much of a Chicago fan however I did get into Three Dog Night and Linda Rhonstadt.

Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me (Not To Come)

Linda Rhonstadt - Willing

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    2 of my favorite songs when I was in HS. Linda nails it. Little Feat has great version as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    I agree Little Feat has a great version as well however this is my fav from Little Feat
    Little Feat - Dixie Chicken

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Best two decades for music ever, and they’ll likely never be topped.

The 80s will also always have a place at or near the top of the list for best decade of movies and TV shows. The 70s had some great movies and TV, but I think it’s safe to say that a majority of it did not hold up, even into the next decade, whereas most 80s flicks and shows still hold up well today, with some obvious exceptions.

Sports were still pretty pure and unspoiled by strikes, ‘roids and financial absurdity in those two decades.

The 80s were also pretty transformational, socially speaking, but of course not on par with the 60s.

Fashion in both decades was of course both magnificent and atrocious. Often in the same outfits.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  12. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    No offense, but if you’re using science to define musical quality, you’ve lost before you’ve started.

It’s been said that talking about music is like dancing about architecture. If true, the. Using science to define music is that concept on steroids, crack, meth and nuclear waste all at once.

13. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    Disco was awesome.
    Sorry, not sorry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree totally.

I’ve always maintained that popular music started dying a slow death in the mid-90s, and have morphed into the meme that it didn’t die, but went underground.

But I’ve eventually come to recognize that in al likelihood nothing much has changed in the objective quality of popular music. It has just evolved while the subjective tastes of the listeners have largely not.

I think having kids of the YouTube and TicToc age helped open my eyes to this. My kids love most of the popular music that I would have called dreck 10 years ago.

And I know they have good musical tastes, because I made them scores of CDs when they were little - made up of a combination of new kids music (some of which was actually made by heroes of my musical youth, like Paul Simon and They Might be Giants), kid-appealing 70s and 80s tunes (Octopus’s Garden, The Monkees’ Theme, etc.), and old novelty songs (Running Bear, Beep Beep, Junk Food Junkie, etc.), and they loved it all.

So I found that when I wasn’t scoffing at new music, which I wold obviously never do to stuff my kids like, and was forced to listen to it a few times, that some of it is actually really good.

And it certainly didn’t take that experience for me to know this:
    People will always like the music they heard as kids the best, especially during their formative years. Child of the 80? 80s music is the best ever, and they’ll fight you over it. Child of the 70s? 70s music is the best ever, and they’ll cut you over it. And ever it shall be, decade to decade, generation to generation.

To borrow from Neil Simon, we love that music for the most selfish reason of all: because we were young.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree (and I guess it’s demonstrable) that music is less creative, less complex, and less diverse than most decades prior...

...but I don’t think that means it’s worse.

In that everyone has a different personal definition (whether they can communicate that definition or not) of what makes music good. Some of my favorite songs are pure bubble gum. Then you have one of the most talented, musically complex and creative, and technically proficient bands of all time - a rock version of the great composers of classical music, if you will - but I wouldn’t listen to a Rush record if you paid me. Respect the heck out of them, but I hate their music like a social disease. I think it all sounds terrible.

And the next guy or girl will say Rush is great and that bubble gum pop song I love is garbage, and they’ll have a hundred legitimate reasons why.

I don’t even know if there’s a way to qualify what is good music, let alone scientifically quantify it, without always coming back to personal preference and bias.

16. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    I couldn’t take the accents.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    Hall & Oat?

Oh no, did the other Oat die?

18. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    There was a run on singer songwriters a decade or so back. Think Jack Johnson and his cohort. Then music moved on. It’ll periodically come back to them.

19. PD

Apr 3, 2007

20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He stops making fun of the guy in the video and gets serious about talking music in the last 6 minutes or so. Really good stuff in closing minutes.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.