Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What people think of the 70s. and 80s

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dnewhous, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Loved the '70's and '80's music, but I was never too much into pop music then nor now... However, right now there are a tons of great artists playing rock and roll. The problem is they're not on the radio much and there aren't as many artists.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Universal rules of life:

• Old is always 10 years older than you are now
    • The best musics is what you grew up with
    • Refs are always out to get your team
    • Never fight a land war in Asia

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Just in time for this thread, a friend send this...

The music of Rush is marked by erratic signature changes, unconventional chord structures, heavy use of synthesizers and electronic effects, and, most importantly, lead vocals that sound like an ancient witch is being exorcised out of your body with live wires. In less clinical terms, imagine taking the most annoying parts of science fiction and Libertarianism, isolating them, and then somehow blending them up into a cursed musical slurry. Then, infuse that slurry with a distinctive incel vibe, and presto! You’ve got one of the most powerful contraception options on the market.

No one has ever gotten pregnant while listening to the music of Rush. Clinical studies show that when combined with watching a male sexual partner play air bass along to the extended solo in “Freewill,” the contraceptive efficacy of Rush approaches 100%.

An FAQ About Your New Birth Control: The Music of Rush

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. dnewhous

dnewhous Senior

Dec 2, 2007
    NIceville, FL
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  5. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the 2 remaining band members would find that hilarious.

6. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Music is the universal language and what is missing from cookie cutter music is the soul of the artist. Of course everyone has to eat and those artists will follow what fills their stomachs.

At any rate the subject being the 70's and 80's wax was king with CD's on the horizon and the nuance of the artist being lost in the shuffle. So I'll add to the list from several genre's
    AC/DC - Back In Black (1980)
    Fink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (1985)
    Van Morrison - Moon Dance (1970)
    Leonard Cohen - Various Positions (1985)

Of course these are just a few and I could name many more from dulcet tones to crank up the volume. As for preferences it depends on the mood at the moment.

• Like Like x 4
  7. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Personally I think music’s issues started when “artists” started thinking of themselves as artists and not entertainers.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yeah, when was that? I doubt Mozart or Wagner thought of themselves as 'entertainers.' Don't think Bach was like "let me entertain these church goers."

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I disagree. Paintings and sculptures are art occupying space and music is art occupying time. I pay particular attention to the lyrical content as it tells a story, anguishes over some conflict of the human condition, or evokes an emotion. For me it goes deeper than an entertaining diversion. Other music evokes through the musical construct and composition.

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The Greeks distinguished between Techne (doing something well) and Poiesis (bringing something into the world that did not exist before), to me that is the distinction in all artistic pursuits, whether it be music or the fine arts. Some people are technically good at singing or painting, but to create something that did not exist requires something extra.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    I don't believe they thought of themselves as entertainers either. Don't care much for Wagner, Mozart and Bach on the other hand are a different story. There is no doubt all of these people have talent that the public enjoys but I think they did it mostly for themselves and found a way to male a living from it.

Today's music on the other hand is a profit making industry from Millie Vanilli to the Back Street Boys to K-POP the eye candy plays the all important role.

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Is that really different from the music industry in 1950, 1960, or 1970 or 1980 though?

13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    seems the opposite is generally true. Beatles being a good example IMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yeah, is the complaint that "popular" styles of music became treated more seriously in terms of their cultural importance? The thing is if the Beatles and Dylan are going to be treated seriously by virtue of their studio recordings, the same is going to happen for say, Beyonce too. Ultimately I guess you have to blame the 60s/counterculture for turning "youth culture" into just "culture." Now everyone listens to their dad's music.

15. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Of course it is different. Artists of the 50's, 60's and 70's hawked their wares to producers. Today producers look for what sells on TV and video.

While we have talent shows today on the air they are nothing like shows of years gone by. Back then it was Lawrence Welk, American Bandstand, Soul Train, Grand Ole Opry, Glen Campbell, Hee Haw and Midnight Special to name few. These shows introduced new talent to the public and yes some were flops such as Nancy Sinatra. Today it's the latest video that gets the most likes on social media or you tube. Let's face it CCR was boring to watch but the music was phenomenal KISS on the other hand changed the whole scene for music and theatrics that is now the common staple.

16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Its hard to take seriously the idea that the appeal of Elvis (and all the lesser teen idols), the Beatles, etc wasn't visual. They were all in movies as soon as they were famous basically. Elvis and the Beatles all had iconic TV moments on the same TV variety show. Yeah, music videos werent really a thing yet, but making it big in the industry wasnt just making records. Because then, like now, records werent super-profitable for the artist. Touring was how you made your money, and if you wanted to do less of that, well, you needed other forms of revenue.

17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Rockin the Walgreens

18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I love my Drug Buddy (which is Walgreens)

• Like Like x 1
  19. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Too much show with today’s music. Dancers everywhere twerking and jumping around. I prefer that a musician, group, or band be seen without all the theatrics and such. Now videos are a different story.

However,,,,, there’s one exception for a live performance, that’s Tina Turner and the one dancer with the short dark hair. I can’t for the life of me tell you what the song was afterwards. I don’t know why, but I go brain dead watching Clair Turton dance to Proud Mary.

Here’s one of the finest entertainers of all time with my favorite dancer of all time.

Tina Turner and Claire Turton

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    CCR and KISS mentioned together. Man that stings!!

• Funny Funny x 2