Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What people think of the 70s. and 80s

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dnewhous, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Tom Petty, America, James Taylor, Jim Croce. Eagles, Fogelberg, John Denver...those kind of singer-song writers are pretty much gone.
    Love the authenticity from this era.
    Today’s music is not so good. Don’t have the time to search for new bands. Please point out the new ones if they exist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Saw the "Lido" man in Mobile, Alabama! Great show.

3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    The neve 1073 came out in 1970! It’s the sound of rock & roll. Hits you right in the face. Right in your mommas mouth. vid is almost as good as the panel strip

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    OMG O&B - My senior class "adopted" Dan Fogelberg. Those first few albums were incredible. Definitely a favorite of the Gal's back in my day.

Loved him too but I would have to find a closet to cry in cause his music was so damn emotional and (good)............. Hickory Grove, Stars, ..........all those songs!

But after Dan I would have to play some "Kiss Alive" to balance it out.............lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Well it’s...”hard to say” why I like this music so much. I still crank those songs up today.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Music is completely subjective, so does it ever get worse? It just changes. Millions of young people really enjoy the music of today and think the music of the 70s sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I am more of a "Living In The Past" kind of guy with music..........speaking of........TULL - LOL ANOTHER MONSTER band from the 70's I still enjoy today.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    See, to me, outside Petty, this is a good example of 70s music that can remain in the dustbin.

9. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Check out real gators post #7 on this thread. It discusses some research about how music actually is less creative than ever and most of the pop hit songs written today actually came from 2 dudes.
    Interesting 20 min video. And the guy narrating is British, so it must be true.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I like it this way. The less you and I have in common, the better.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Ya

I got off my high horse along time ago.

No longer judge folks by their tunes...........if ANY kind of music gives one comfort I'm all for it!

I can't say I'm a fan of modern pop as in the old days but their are some good ones. I'm a big "SIA" fan today. I like alot of the artists but I'm not real big on the divas of today. Taylor, Adriana, Selena, Beyonce - Good stuff, just not my first choice when I'm at home enjoying the remainder of a "420" wink wink.

I'm currently fixated on Alice in Chains..............damn I wish I had gone to see that band before they destroyed themselves in heroin addiction.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I have a music "tip" for any heterosexual male: Go to Nashville, immerse yourself in the latest country music and learn to line dance..............you will thank me..........

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I really like this advice. No shit, I think this is on my list. I like country but dancing is the challenge.

14. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    It's the women's O&B, the women's.......... Nashville club (line dancing) scene is like walking into a Swedish bar.........blonds as far as the eye can see............ lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My wife back then took me to Hall & Oates there one time and it was a great show.

• Like Like x 1
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Its a little funny that the way you wish to separate yourself from me is to listen to the crunchiest of granola nature boy music. I wont tell whoever the right wing poster was that was lamenting that 'cheap flannels' and beards had ruined manhood.

17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Daryl Hall’s live at daryls was one of the better YouTube music series. Every thing from Smokey Robinson to Chiddy Bang & well produced

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  18. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I think all we can determine from this "science" is that the popular music of today is a different sound. Humans still have to weigh in on what makes music good. Humans drive the science. Rock music and the bubblegum pop of today isn't a fair comparison in my opinion. I'm sure people that grew up listening to music of the 40s and 50s think the creative and complicated music of the 60s and 70s was too much. It's all good, I like music from many different decades and genres. I'm not a huge fan of the pop music of today but if something is catchy and makes me smile I'll listen to it when I'm in the mood (Katy Perry, Lada Gaga, Sia, etc.), especially if it gets my wife in the dancing mood.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I remember reading somewhere that artists of all types were most productive while in their 20s. Still energetic, old enough to have suffered some, and trying to use their art to make it in the world. Later they give up, burn out, take normal jobs etc. Given the huge generation of baby boomers that were in their 20s in the 70s there was a huge cohort of suffering, angst-ridden, maladjusted artists trying to communicate - so statistically speaking more likelihood of better music somewhere in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I should also add honorable mention...Toto, Hall and Oat and Steely Dan. All regulars in my playlists.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.