Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What people think of the 70s. and 80s

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dnewhous, Apr 21, 2021.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I wish I could go back. I graduated HS in 71.

I still listen to the music.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I appreciate some of the music from that era more now than I did at the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The 70s is definitely the most interesting decade musically, the pinnacle of the recording industry really. It was just rolling in money and drugs, so some of the worst and best music ever recorded was made during that era, because no one cared about budgets or declining revenue. The excess of the era tends to be what sticks in popular consciousness though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

80's kid here. The music lacked artistry in a lot of ways, but it was OUR music, and I still love it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The 70s is the era of some absolute classics with a LOT of utter crap. The 80s was sort of an exorcism of the funky side of the 70s. The era of one hit wonders and the new wave.

And big hair. WTH were we thinking!?!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The 1970s signified the end of music as we know it. This is a really good YouTube video that is a relatively short 20 minutes that uses science to prove music is getting worse.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Like most decades, the 70s and 80s had some great music and some crap. Also totally depends on your taste in music. One of my favorite Rush albums (Moving pictures) came out in the early 80's, big fan.

• Like Like x 6
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Just me, but 70's music was much better than the 80's. But now, in the age of digital remastering, they both sound way better.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Music isnt getting worse, I think thats an absurd way to look at it. The "popular" music of any era was largely disposable trash. People always make the soundtrack of a decade the choice cuts, as if the sixties was just the Beatles and Rolling Stones on the radio 24/7.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think you can argue successfully that what changed isn't music per se (although I can see where there isn't enough hardships in the current environment to turn on the artistic faucets) but rather the corporate hijacking of the music industry. Or as the song says, "video killed the radio star."

If you go out and find it, music is still alive and well. Just not in the bigger venues.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    70's child here. Best decade EVER! Had it all -

Rock, Pop, Disco, Gay/Drag, Gospel, Country and the emerging "New-Wave" later to be grunge crowd.

Great music. 80's was good stuff too but I'll take the 70's. Some personal fav's
    Doobie Brothers, America, The Clash (London Calling - 79 I think), The Boss, heck the list is endless.....Floyd, Rush, Cat Stevens, CSNY, The Carpenters, John Denver, The Police, Skynard, ....endless good stuff!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Early 80’s still had some great stuff going. Like Navy said, Rush’s best was actually in the 80’s.

Personally, I think MTV was a party to the decline. Music became driven by “what the video would be like” as an equal to the music.

70’s had the best music. It ain’t close. I have started buying DVD’s and CD’s of the older bands more recent concerts. The Eagles Hell Freezes Over(fantastic acoustic version of Hotel California) and Farewell Concerts, Tom Petty 30th anniversary concert in Gainesville, The Doobie Brothers are all great.

My wife took me to a Boz Scaggs concert a few years ago at universal. I wasn’t a huge fan back in the day but enjoyed the hell out of that show and bought one on disc from a few years earlier.

Sorry. Too long of a ramble

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I think this is backwards though. Music was way *more* corporate in the times people fondly remember, the massive profits basically meant that way more labels were willing to take a flyer on less conventional acts to get in on the gravy train. The 70s was easily the most 'corporate' decade for music (the industry was never bigger), which 100% produced plenty of trash, but lots of treasure too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Is/was it purely artistic? Nope, there was/is this thing called "payola" and those with the cash did better than those who had to go it alone. I just think it took those days and made it much more institutional. You don't hear the minor songs on the radio...ever. Unless it is an "oldies" station.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The 70s was pretty great for radio too, that's when you could actually find less commercial stereo music on the AM dial because of the exodus to FM, and talk radio hadnt 100% taken over yet. There's a great deal of nostalgia for 70s AM radio.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't forget we had to suffer through the Disco years in the late 70's.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. dnewhous

dnewhous Senior

Dec 2, 2007
    NIceville, FL
    If only they had MTV in the 1970s. The 80s bands imitated the 70s and obviously revered those bands with the sound they had. The only thing with the 1970s is the equipment they were using sounds very custom. Those amps sound modern and I don't see how you could get that sound from stock equipment at the time. Maybe that's crucial, stock Marshalls finally sound like bands from the 70s. To get an 80s sounds, use a distortion pedal.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  18. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    My first job out of UF was in the SF area. One day a supervisor was talking to a group of us. He said he was the head of his condo's HOA and had met with a new condo owner. The supervisor said this guy had the strangest name -- Boz. It was Boz Scaggs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Check this out:

Duane Allman at his best.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1