Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What makes you feel "alive?"

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatordavisl, May 29, 2018.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Terrific list Tasselhoff

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Split Rock Lighthouse in Silver Bay MN on the north shore of Lake Superior. In the summer of course. ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Living in Duluth, Nshore excursions are quite regular for us. I’ve enjoyed SR lighthouse and love the palisades. Many parks and trails yet to explore.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may take the list and process it into my take, what I would say is locations and events that make you feel like a small piece of a vast place. Let's call it "awe". As I get older, it is increasingly harder to find. But when it comes it is truly.....awesome.

Also, spending time with my grown up daughter. That will NEVER get old.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Where were you? I was just west of Carbondale.

6. wjd

wjd Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Me too minus the beer until I get the boat and passengers home safe and back at the dock!

7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Here are a couple images from Taipei, first a view of Taipei 101 from a small mountaintop.
    [​IMG]
    and the Raohe night market, where we ate dinner a couple nights
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    A few Saturdays in the fall...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This is a good interpretation of where I was going with this thread. Well done

10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I went to Grand Island, Nebraska. Early on I wanted to go to Giant State Park in Carbondale and try to stand in the same exact spot again for the 2024 eclipse, but I decided it was better to be as far west as possible to lessen the likelihood of getting clouded out without substantially shortening the total phase. As it turned out, there were some high wispy clouds, but they made the video footage I got near totality more spectacular. It was local noon, so I had to frame it against something overhead.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    My sense of smell is mostly gone now, but I remember how the smell of gardenias or honeysuckle used to give me a charge. The smell of freshly mown grass enhanced the feeling of accomplishment at having cut it. Another thing from long ago is how my hand smelled of sweat and leather after a baseball game. I didn't want to wash it off.

Watching the Carolina wrens build their nests and raise their babies in my spider plants is another good one. Watching a baby bald eagle come into the world and meet his parents for the first time never gets old.

• Like Like x 1
  12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    After contemplating your comments and question for a few days I realize I always feel "alive." I feel things more acutely as the years narrow, honing my focus on what is important and worth doing or keeping - and discerning or discarding what is not.

At present I'm suspended in a state of tension between discomforting apprehension and optimistic anticipation of even better times to come, keeping expectations high, but knowing they do not always intersect with experience as hoped or planned. Our plan in the coming year is a move 2000 miles west to Colorado that will wrench us from the home we have spent the last 18 years of our life together. We've been happy here and I know we will be happy settled into a new home, but the wrenching process of dislocation comes with a cost. Occasionally I have doubts I can handle it as well as I handled the 9 moves we made in our younger years. Trucker is confident and reassuring. I love and trust him and will follow his lead.

• Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Godspeed Lacuna. Having moved away from Hogtown 2x, I empathize. The first time, I cried my eyes out as I said "goodbye" to my undergrad roommates and hopped in the car, headed for Denton, TX. The second time, I found myself comforting my wife, as we left our friends and all the comforts/stability/friendships we had developed, for the frozen tundra of northern MN. It's been a transition, but we live in a great place and are happily employed.

After the two tours of duty in Gainesville, I reached a point that I had lived there longer than any other place. Gainesville will always be home for me and I'm sure it will remain in your heart forever as well. You are fortunate to have a "rock" in Trucker. This is simply life's next adventure for you and your family. You are moving to a wonderful place. Can I come? :emoji_nerd:

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Dude you had to move from Gainesville to Duluth?? Who did you piss off? Duluth is pretty "cool" if you don't mind arctic conditions.

15. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

I'm glad that my probably last move is only an hour or so from Hogtown, and I'm 5 minutes away from the beach!

Not too shabby.

16. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    For me it is SEX but that don't happen much anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko GC Hall of Fame

Jul 5, 2008
    Waking up every morning. :devil:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    When I was younger it was gator football games and concerts.

Now that I'm older? Still a good concert. Unfortunately an ex of mine. Riding my motorcycles

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Just curious - did you mean that an ex of yours performs in a band?

20. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Nah. Unfortunately a somewhat recent ex girlfriend I walked away from for a number of reasons. Best times I have ever experienced in life. Coincidentally a multimillionaire. I walked away from a life literally free of money problems and the entire world accessible to travel. Door is officially closed