Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What makes you feel "alive?"

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatordavisl, May 29, 2018.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I'm visiting my wife's family in Taiwan for about a week. With the change in time, it's quite normal to wake up early morning/late night. At 6am, I decided to take a walk around Taipei. Got to see, hear, and smell the city wake up. If you haven't visited Taiwan, small food dives are a mainstay - so many amazing little places to grab noodles, a sandwich, rice bowl, etc.
    It was an adventure just to walk around, communicate just enough to pick up some coffee, get lost and receive help from a stranger to find the hotel. I'm not one who lives to travel, but came to the conclusion that this morning's adventure really made me feel "alive." What in life gives you a similar feeling? I'm referring to a slight step away from the comfort zone, where familiarity is fleeting, but adventure exists with just the right amount of safety/comfort (cue the in-law jokes).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    For me being in a boat with a fishing rod, a case of beer in the gulf of Mexico.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Going to a show and the band seems to be completely in tune with the audience. And it gets so good I get chills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Good call, dad. There's nothing like saltwater fishin' getting something on the line w/o knowing what it is. Being out on the open water is special, too. Beer doesn't hurt! :emoji_tropical_drink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Nice - you are likely describing aesthetic experience here (chills are one indicator). Aesthetic experiences definitely make us feel alive!

6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

For me, there are several things;

1; The synchronicity of the music,, especially since I've played keyboards for 58 years

2; Driving in the mountainsm finding a stream in a deserted area, ( or one I know), finding an opening, with a place to lie down, with the sun shimmering through the leaves, listening to the water and the sounds of nature

3; Finding a dark, secluded area with no lights, able to lie down and watch a majoe meteor shower, or just stare up into space and contemplate how small we really are in the cosmos

4; Cooking a gourmet meal for family or friends, and see the satisfaction and occasional surprise when they eat it/

5; Visiting NYC, just tooling from area to area on the subway, hitting Little Italy, cathing a Broadway show seeing the "upscale" areas that used to be slums, (SOBO) Old, run-down Brooklyn under the Manhattan and brooklyn Bridges, now, "The Place" Take the subway to either Aqueduct or Belmont Park, and try my hand again at the Horse Track

6; Rarely, Experiencing No's 2&3 after ingesting a certain piece of "paper":rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    fishing (especially saltwater), diving, laughing, crying, travel (love being out in nature, hiking around a trail and finding a moose or a bear), gator football. Headed back to Alaska next week for a couple of weeks. Can't get enough of Alaska, salmon and halibut fishing, Denali national park wildlife and scenery, hiking up to Russian River falls and looking for grizzly bear everywhere, moose, wolves, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, killer whales, beluga whales, hiking up to top of Exit Glacier this year weather permitting, whale watching while fishing (saw humpbacks bubble net feeding a few years back). But most important is having my kids give me a meaningful, thankful hug. or seeing their faces when we experience some of the above things together. Watching my daughter land her first king salmon or having my son "get big" with me when we see a bear working the same shoreline we are and feeling the adrenaline they experience is awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Faith. Family. Travel.
    When combined it is magic.

...oh, and beating FSU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    well it used to be the Babes thread

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    Standing on the deck over looking the mountains in Blowing Rock NC

• Like Like x 1
  11. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    All of these are great and I've done the same or similar many times.

A suggestion ~ Rather than stretching out in a dark place to observe the heavens and cosmos - close your eyes and imagine yourself gazing upon the earth from a vantage point in space to fully enjoy the amazing spectacle of our beautiful blue and green home floating below. Notice there are no visible lines or borders, no tangible demarcations between hostile partisans or friendly governments. Appreciate this timeless state and contrast its harmonious beauty with the pettiness of the grievances and disharmonious resentments brought about by the lines of division we draw between ourselves.

'Vanity, vanity, all is vanity"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

I've been enamored watching " One Strange Rock" on Nat geo.

That show puts everything into perception!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Very interesting stuff on that show. In keeping with the theme of the thread, I’d have to imagine those astronauts felt very alive as space travelers and explorers. Looking down on our marble, reflecting and opening new paths in their minds....

14. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I feel most alive in those incredible moments while outdoors fishing, hunting or just hiking. It’s even better when I get to share those experiences with my family and friends.

A close second is watching the Gators on Saturdays in the Fall.

15. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Eons ago it was sports car racing. As a kid it was that 2 run double off the RF wall to win the game. Then there was the drive, 3 wood to 10 feet, then rolling it in on a long par 5 in my much younger days. There was also that first kiss w/ my date who became my wife. Too many re kids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Being pulled by a ski nautique at 32 off. 17.09 seconds of true escapism.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    1. Free quite time with my wife and kids

2. Walking the woods alone at night. I like to go out for weekend and just wander

3. Scuba diving....but with a large group

4. Those rare and magical moments that God let’s me know he is with me. Scoff if you want but it’s untouchable.

These are little steps in no particular order

Hunting and fishing are also high on my list but mostly due to the solitude of the event

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Toroweap Overlook at the west end of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You have to drive for almost two hours on a dirt road off the nearest paved road to get there. 3000 foot sheer drop straight down to the river. No guard rails. Don't even think about taking a selfie there. The only other person there was a guy who offered to take my picture with my camera if I'd do the same for him. That was 16 years ago. I'd be a lot more uncomfortable today standing at the edge alone with a complete stranger who could push me off and nobody would ever know.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    I periodically visit a bald eagle nest where a bunch of curmudgeony old "regs" like to congregate in one spot and make others feel unwelcome in "their" domain. After getting the usual brushoff from them, I walked along the fence between the nest tree and the road with my camera. As I was walking under a small pine tree, one of the fledgling eaglets in the nest flew to me and landed five feet over my head. He gave me just enough time to take this picture before flying straight back to the nest. I felt like Mickey Mantle had just given me an autographed baseball without asking. Take that, ya bunch of old sourpusses!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    The shortest 2 and 1/2 minutes of my life. I was in an altered state of consciousness that didn't fully abate until the next day.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2