Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

What kind of defense???

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Jan 3, 2021.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Any defense, it doesn't matter. As long as it is not the one we saw this past season. The ceiling is very high considering we are looking at the sky from a 50 ft deep hole right now.

2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I don't know what you are trying to 'splain to me here with your "actually". I know the facts and your opinions don't contradict my own. I'm aware of the two year gap between Collins and Grantham at MSU.

3. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    My bad I totally misread, sorry. I’ll update my original post. I thought you were saying Mullen hired Grantham after Collins left MSU.

4. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    No worries. Same page now.

5. 00h2itr

00h2itr Freshman

Sep 14, 2015
    One in which we don't have to solely rely on the offense to win games. A few this past season where we scored north of 30 points come to mind.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. sd_gator

sd_gator GC Legend

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    We essentially ran a 4-2-5 / 3-3-5 odd front whatever you want to call it. We rarely ran a true 3-4 defense. I want to run a multiple defense that can adapt to its personnel kind of like what New England has done for many years. It seems we have the opposite of problem on defense than what we have on offense. Our offense for the most part has done a good job of adapting to the strengths of the team. However, defense hasn't been able adapt to what our guys do well and put them in the proper positions to succeed. Instead we keep pushing square pegs thru round holes.

7. Neptune

Neptune Senior

Jul 19, 2007
    We may not have the personnel to run it presently, but I remember really liking D.J. Durkin's defense. I don't know how much of it was him or if we just had ballers (or both), but it was creative, aggressive, and TOUGH.

Or maybe we try for Dan Quinn - you know, swing for the fences.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  8. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    What kind of defense did Durkin run?

9. Neptune

Neptune Senior

Jul 19, 2007
    I guess you'd call it a Multiple because it was versatile and used a 4-3, 3-4, or even 3-3-5 as its base formations.
    Think Fowler as the "Buck" with his hand down as a rush end in the 4-3 or as an OLB with a front three.

10. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    One with true linebackers

Houston now in portal per the twitter

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone needs to be a leader on defense. A guy who can get the players in the right set and who leads by example. Then show everyone how to tackle properly and not just try and knock a guy down...bring him down!

12. bigharold58

bigharold58 Sophomore

Aug 6, 2007
    This......too many players standing around watching another try to bring a ball carrier down. Everyday during the scrimmage phase of practices, we (all defensive coaches on the field) would begin counting down, "Four, three two, one!" By the time we got to zero, all 11 defensive players better be around the ball or better be seen, coming hard to where the play ended. At the end of practice, we would place five cones down each sideline (5 yards apart). While the offense was running sprints, we had the defense running pursuit drills stressing that each player get to a/his cone within 5 seconds. We ran a 4-3 Front, so that meant that the interior d-line and play-side DE had to get to cone 1; play-side LB and MLB to cone 2; Back-side LB and DE to cone 3; play-side CB and safety to cone 4 and back-side S and CB to cone 5. That meant if you were on the far side of the field, you had to 'Get It' to get there on time. We did this 3-days/week during the season, and it always paid off in games.

13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    A creative scheme that was designed for college underclassmen to comprehend and execute without confusion, vice one that only an NFL defense can execute. Also, one that puts safeties and corners somewhere in the same timezone as the route runners.