Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

What kind of defense???

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Jan 3, 2021.

1. gatorwilly

gatorwilly VIP Member

Feb 7, 2010
    stuart,fl
    Under our current DC coach the scheme will remain the same.. To change the scheme you change the DC.. WW

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    A simple scheme that is top 3 in the conference in every category. That can be leaned on in desperate times. And has creatures at every position group!

3. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    That wasn't the question.

4. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would like to see a defense where someone else calls the plays, specifically third downs. Stick Grantham as the special teams coordinator or someplace else where his screwups won’t necessarily ruin the season.

5. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I hear ya and I think it’s time to change up the DC but if we had 18 or 19 defense this year, we wouldn’t have lost to TAM or LSU. The players and experience make a huge deal. We don’t have the luxury of 4/5 stars at key positions who can athletically make plays while they learn. We have 3/4 stars who with experience can look elite. We will have our 3/4 star players with experience next year. It will be better regardless of who the DC is.

6. gator4ever39

gator4ever39 Junior

Feb 2, 2008
    Sun valley idaho

that’s valid. He does have a tendency to over run or take the wrong gap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorwilly

gatorwilly VIP Member

Feb 7, 2010
    stuart,fl
    Guess I should have said any scheme other than the one we had this year.. Game after game after game.. WW

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    One that allows fewer points than the offense every game, and accounts for offensive and ST errors as well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kuwait
    No, but it still answers the question.

10. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    One that doesn’t give up 500+ yards and can hold an opposing offense under 25 points.

• Like Like x 1
  11. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    I’d be happy with a D that can line up before the snap. I’d be happy to see us not leave slot receivers uncovered. I’d like to see us press instead of playing 10yds off a receiver on 3rd and 6. I’d like to see corner blitzes where the safety is made aware he’s responsible for the vacated receiver. I’d like to see defenders square up and tackle. I’d like to see us play with discipline and not make stupid crucial penalties. I’d like to see our D play with situational awareness knowing down and distance. Am I asking too much?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I would love to see a passive defense. Think 20 yard cushions on 3rd and short. Think LBs playing pass coverage against Biletnikoff WRs. Maybe have DEs take a pass at playing Nickle? Maybe play without any DBs at all and just safeties pointlessly running all over the field.

I'm thinking we don't always need to have guys lined up pre-snap, or even really understand what coverage we're running. Substitute every single down regardless of what is going on. We need to keep fresh and confused bodies on the field. Chaos is order.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    My ideal defense would be going back in time to 2014 have Foley hire Mullen after Muschamp. We'd have Geoff Collins for two years and we might actually have fielded good offenses at the time. We might still get Grantham, though, since Mullen picked him up at MSU the year Collins left UF--but maybe not because Grantham was a better fit for MSU in 2016/17 than he would be for UF. Biggest downside: we probably never get Trask. Biggest question: what would S&C look like?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Edit: I misread the original post and thought you were saying Mullen hired Grantham when Collins left MSU, my bad!

Actually he hired Manny Diaz for a 2nd stint at DC after Collins was poached. This was both an excellent hire for MSU (great DC) and a terrible hire for us. Diaz was poached the next season and IMO it gave Mullen a taste of "DCs that are so good they get poached" becoming a revolving door and part of the reason he's been so quick to extend/raise pay for Grantham to keep him.

He also had one more DC after Diaz, Peter Sirmon, who funny enough was traded with Louisville for Grantham as both sides were sick of their DC and hoping for better lol. This was one of Mullen's trademark "firing assistants by getting them hired elsewhere" moves. Honestly it's probably 1 of 3 reasons we haven't moved from Grantham: 1) No one wanted to hire Grantham away after this season 2) Grantham has 2 years left on contract and $3.6m for an assistant is a lot to swallow for buyout 3) Grantham bought himself some time by blaming the assistants and firing them.

What's most frustrating about #3 is that we knew after the Chris Steele incident that Ron English had literally no value to us and yet we kept him this long (AND GAVE HIM A RAISE LAST OFFSEASON). Safeties crucified us this year (and the last 3 years) and Gray probably got taken down at the same time because the secondary needs to play as a unit in zone. We'll see, we're fans (short for fanatics) so I'm sure we'll be feeling good about the offseason smoke our new coaching hires will generate.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Gary Patterson's 4-2-5 defense will become more and more prevalent as the passing game becomes the focus of high-powered offenses.

16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The defense I want the most is the one that starts with a four man front... Not three man. The rest of the make up can be a hybrid or standard set up for all I care. But we need four big-nasties up front to both put pressure on the QB and to stop the run better than the crappy/usless three man front.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    3 man works when you have a true NT, which we kind of did (Slaton) but it took 3 years for him to develop into one. In general the distinction isn't that big of a deal as we ended up with 4 down lineman anyway whenever we couldn't field a real NT.

18. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    No, it gave the QBs too much time to pick us apart and the running backs ate that up...If it worked from time to time it's becasue we got lucky. We need to great/big nose tackles up front to pressure the passing game and to better stop the run, IMHO.

19. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I mean this is a chicken and egg argument, but looking at how close Cox would get over an over in games, it was clear that if our secondary could take away the first read the DL would have hit home. Slaton wasn't enough to bullrush 2 guys up the middle and get a sack, but that's such a rare talent. Derrick Brown last year, Nick Fairley years ago, Suh. You don't need that to be successful, you just need a guy that can occupy 2 bodies on the OL and a secondary that can at least cause a QB to move through their progression.

20. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, I'm not even getting into the mess on the back end of our defense. That requires anther entire thread.. so much wrong with that part of our defense. The back end has a lot to do with how our front line is or is not effective...

• Winner Winner x 1