Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What juniors will leave early for the NFL?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Toney's game doesn't translate to the NFL. He is too slow for starters. PR maybe, but unless his route running improves, he won't make it.

As good as Henderson is, he is an average NFL cornerback. Those guys playing in the NFL were the Henderson on their college team. Now imagine Henderson matched up with Toney in coverage. Henderson kills it and Toney is ineffective.

He is electric with the ball, but that isn't going to be good enough at the next level.

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Toney hasn't seen the field enough for NFL scouts to even consider him...
    He definitely need a year to showcase what he can actually do, and not just in jet sweeps or screen passes.

Grimes would also benefit from our other recievers leaving...he woiuld be one of our go-to guys.

Marco improved once moved inside...another year at that position will help his stock as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    There appears to be confusion on that point. Other sources say he has already graduated, and will be a grad transfer.

4. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    CJ is the only one that is more than pure speculation and less than formally announced (his little brother publicly stated CJ's intent to declare).

But if we are going to speculate....

For the NFL

CJ should go.
    I'm torn with Marco. A good injury free season will dramatically improve his draft stock, but another injury would make him almost undraftable. I think he goes.
    I think Grimes should come back and be the guy. The problem is what does it mean to be the guy in a system that spreads the ball so much. Still I think he will come back.
    I agree with earlier posters, I think Toney wants to go and will latch on to any sign that he's draftable to bolt. I think Brad Stewart & TJ Slaton will be similar. All 3 will seriously explore going, but I think only Toney pulls the trigger.
    I think Heggie stays.
    Davis stays.
    Campbell stays.
    Nobody else should even mention the NFL right now (Moon, Forsythe, Delance, Dunlap, Stiner, McWilliams, Wells, or Lenton)...though I would expect some of those to xsfer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    I'm ok with some of the above transferring as long as we rake in talent via recruiting or grad transfers. I think some of the 3 stars that McElwain brought in will start to see the writing on the wall if they're juniors/seniors and aren't playing because the freshman/sophomores that Mullen brought in are out performing them. Should be a very interesting offseason with a lot of turnover. I think we take a step back next year due to lack of depth but will be loaded for 2021.

6. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    If he was smart, he would have spent his time watching Van Jefferson run routes. If he could combine his quickness, cutting ability and acceleration with Jefferson's route running ability, he could have a career in the NFL. I'm guessing by his lack of receptions that he just hasn't picked up the finer nuances of being a receiver, which is really his only option in the NFL. Another year would do him good if he actually used it to improve his route running and pass-catching skills.

7. gatorbred

gatorbred Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Grimes would be smart to stay especially considering this very well may be the best and certainly deepest crop of WR’s in draft history if many of the juniors declare as expected. Plus with all the receivers we lose, he would put up amazing stats and could double his career production rather easily and significantly improve his draft stock.

Toney would be wise to stay for same reasons plus with Swain’s departure, he could be the punt return guy full time and show the scouts he could be a weapon there too. He may leave anyway if he just doesn’t like school.

C.J. will go as he will put up great combine #’s, but not certain he’s still a first rounder like he was projected before the season.

The rest should stay including Marco to improve their stock, but Marco may go due to previous injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    CJ is the best we have but I can understand if he sits out the Bowl. I like Elam and the job he has done.

9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Heggie and Campbell? Leave early?

I cannot see this happening. They’d go undrafted. Shawn Davis projects maybe rounds 4-5. I’ve not heard or seen anything to think the two mentioned above would declare. I sure hope not. Good senior years and they may become guys that could be drafted in 4th or 5th round. Heck, Campbell could maybe move up 50 more spots than those rounds w a breakout senior year.

10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    They probably are going to leave but would you as a GM think any of them are even close to be a 4 th round pick at the very least?

11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    T
    Toney is special

12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Might be the most electrifying player in college football yet we underuse this kid and it’s frustrating for him. Top 3 round pick right now.

13. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Henderson would be. Thats it though

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The question really is do they have the maturity and work ethic to “stay” in the NFL? Everyone has speed, talent and size in the NFL. Can you stay out of trouble and off drugs that have ruined many a career? Can you play every down with passion or will you take plays off? Will you be at facility working out with team or home with own trainer? Stay late studying opponent film each week? Involved in community? If not grown up yet, stay in college and continue to learn/grow. Average NFL career is 3 years.

By the way, CJ had a challenging year covering WRs. Stats were not at first round grade level. Did not make first or second team All-SEC. I think he played himself out of first round this year from a Miami Dolphin scout I know fairly well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The player Toney reminds me most of isn't Rainey, it's Peter Warrick.

16. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Just trying to be complete and looking at all the juniors. We've got a few juniors that are borderline draftable, including Heggie and Campbell. But nobody I know is seriously thinking they leave.

17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I've been watching the mock NFL drafts all season. Full disclosure- I have no idea how accurate they are.
    Two big changes...
    1) Fromm was a late first round pick earlier in the season. Not any longer. I hope he's gone anyway.
    2) CJ was a mid first round pick from the beginning of the season- at one point as high as #12. Same thing- he's not even in the first round any longer.

I'm no expert but I know what I see. In the last 2 games Henderson has given up long passes- both at Mizzou (where he couldn't cover a wounded duck of a pass) and vs scary Terry at home. I'm sure he has lots of people telling him to GO but maybe he should come back and sharpen up his coverages against these college guys before moving on to the NFL.

18. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Cj is fine. In man he was nearly unbeatable. In zone or in coverages where he expected safety help he was vulnerable because our safeties were so inconsistent. He is an elite cover corner and should declare.

Marco needs another year imo although he is also probably good enough to try it right now. He rounded back into his old form by the end of the year.

slaton has the physical talent but could benefit from a big senior year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Toney and grimes both left although I question the decision with all the great wr in the draft this year.

Shawn Davis and Brad Stewart both have the talent to go pro. Maybe with better defensive back coaching they will blossom.

I think we lose 3 or 4 minimum. Would be shocked if uf lost any ok though.

19. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm not sure I see anyone going. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think this group wants to take this team to the next level.

As far as individuals, while Toney is an electric runner, I don't see any NFL team taking him in the draft. He might get a shot at a camp. He's been injured a lot and I don't believe he has the size to play WR in the NFL. Next season, with Swain gone, I could see Toney being the main kick returner, which might help his draft status. I see that as a very good reason for him to stay.

I don't mean this to badmouth CJ, but I think he benefitted last year by having Gardner on his side of the field. With young safeties behind him, he seems to play a little unsure of himself. CJ is very good but not at the same level of some of our recent NFL-DBs. I think another year with improved safeties behind him, he would raise his draft status. But of all the players, he's probably the most likely to go.

Trevon Grimes is probably the guy with the most to gain from coming back. It seemed like Trask really tried to get Grimes the ball a lot, but they just didn't connect on a lot of plays. With Jefferson, Cleveland, Hammond and Swain gone, I believe Grimes could be a HUGE part of next year's offense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    On the early play against Terry, CJ had outside coverage and Terry went inside, where there was SUPPOSED to be a safety. Of course our safety was about 10 yards out of position so Terry was wide open.

CJ made a great play in tracking Terry down to prevent the TD. He's an elite CB who is constantly left hung out to dry by our safeties.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1