Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What is the Most Intriguing Match-up for the Gators in 2024

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Apr 2, 2024.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Miami, ucf and Kentucky are pretty damn significant games as in losing any of those would set a bad tone early on and the excuses have to stop at some point. I'd add in fsu but as someone already mentioned, how we do early on determines the importance of that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Miami is super important because it’s the first game and the second half of the schedule is brutal. I hope Miami isn’t a legit top ten team because I doubt we are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Miami, for many reasons. Everyone looking to see if coaching changes will have us looking organized with big improvements in young player development, play calling and scheme on both sides.
    Plus, its the damn canes!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I guess Top 12 is what's important these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Morey

Morey Freshman

Sep 2, 2013
    Palm Beach Gardens
    As a Miami fan I don't think we are a top 10 team. I think we are going to be pretty good but I would put Miami between 10-18 or so. I do think something Miami will have a big advantage over most teams is the line of scrimmage. Our OL is a massive strength and very deep and the DL has one of the best in the country in Rueben Bain with some really solid depth. I think the biggest weakness is going to be the DB's and their depth in that DB unit. If the front 7 can't create pressure I think a good offense could really get to the young and not deep DB's of Miami. All indications from practices for spring is Cam Ward is really good. Only time will tell with everything obviously and these first games can be nuts.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    As a Gator fan I can say I don't like the talent Miami has amassed on their lines. Not sure about the rest of the team but yes, Miami has hit on some young talent on offensive and defensive lines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I'm not sure what would make either team think they would be in the top 25 this year. Its easier to get some false hope from playing an ACC schedule, like the fools gold of UNC and Duke last year. Both of UM and UF would have to have a moonshot event happen to be a top 10 team. UGA, Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, Tex, OU, Tenn., OSU, Mich, PSU, Ore., USC are all teams that almost anyone would have to pick over either team from just two conferences. That's not counting Clemson and FSU. I'd take Ore St., Wash St. and OK St. over either. Then you still have some teams with some talent like aTm out there and tough teams to play like Kentucky. A huge leap has to occur and Mario and Billy haven't shown that ability yet.

8. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Hopefully an 8pm kickoff. Something about night games in The Swamp

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Now we're talking!!!
    upload_2024-4-4_17-35-15.png

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    And then it comes to you slowly, like dim, disturbing flashbacks of an ugly girl in a noisy bar at 1:50 am, in bad light...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    At 150, the age and weight limit doubles.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Miami has been projected to barely make the top 25, but that's only a projection. Top ten is a reach!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Morey

Morey Freshman

Sep 2, 2013
    Palm Beach Gardens
    I think it's the talent that Miami has gathered since Mario has been there most importantly the QB. A good QB can cover a lot of issues and Miami's biggest strengths are OL and DL. I totally agree that Mario isn't some genius coach or anything but he is a elite recruiter and he has done that since being at Miami. Only time will tell obviously. I could be totally wrong as well. You named 11 teams and some of those teams could underperform like a USC, Penn State, Tennessee, Oklahoma ect. We beat Clemson last year played FSU to the last possession with a backup QB and FSU is going to be significantly worse this year with all the talent they lost. I am not saying Miami is some elite team I just think talent wise they can and should be around that level. This isn't some crazy thing to think Miami or Florida could be Top 25 teams. It's not like I am saying I think Miami is some elite team because I don't think they are.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Morey

Morey Freshman

Sep 2, 2013
    Palm Beach Gardens
    I am wondering what the gametime will be for this also. There are some bigger games that weekend that I feel will get the ABC 8pm gametime in Clemson vs Georgia right? I was thinking 3:30 ABC slot?

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Missouri ended up top 10 last year also. It’s not that much of a reach. They got a good quarterback, which is the most important thing to have. Being top five and one of the better teams really in the country, that’s a reach. Beating everybody in the ACC possibly not so hard.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I agree with that. Miami or Florida could have six or eight losses, but there’s no reason to not be a fringe top 25 team. much easier for Miami because of the schedule, but record doesn’t mean how good you are, it won’t change a thing first game of the year

• Like Like x 1
  17. Morey

Morey Freshman

Sep 2, 2013
    Palm Beach Gardens
    Totally agree that Miami will have a easier time getting into a Top 25 ranking because the schedule is very easy and sometimes records can be deceiving.

18. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Its UM. Whatever happens in that game will set the tone for the rest of the season. I would say they are barely better than us on multiple fronts. Home game should give us an early advantage. I dont have this one marked as W. Would be a surprise win.

19. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Initially, prognosticators came out with Miami outside the top 25. Then, one service moved them barely inside the top 25. The Canes are very talented on offense and defense; and you are correct, their db's are young and inexperienced. If the DL can put pressure on the qb, then the secondary may not have to cover the WR very long. Regardless, I am expecting a rivalry battle and a close game. It will more than likely come down to big plays. If our defense is stout that will bode well for us. If our defense is porous again, the Canes will likely get the W.

20. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    I will be really surprised if Florida has eight losses. I won't comment on Miami, because I don't follow them.