Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What is going on????

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by BSBLGATOR, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Can anyone explain to me why we are where we are with this whole thing? How did we go from postponing things to totally cancelling before we get to the date that was set? I am a certified scuba diver and one of the sayings is, plan your dive and dive your plan. The extended date of 4/15 the SEC put out is just under 30 days out still. We are being told the next 15 days are critical and that was a couple days ago. So why have we jumped to cancelling? Why not get to maybe 4/10 and decide? Maybe the 4/10 update is that we are postponing until 5/1 or maybe it is we are targeting 5/10 as a return date????? Who knows?

This website has been keeping tabulations on this worldwide, Coronavirus Update (Live): 203,612 Cases and 8,229 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer They have been spot on with all other counts. Do yourselves a favor and do your own research. I understand in coming days the numbers will grow based on more testing and research. At the time I am typing this the US has 6,302 reported cases with 12 of them being listed as serious/critical. With the spike let's see how many serious/critical cases are added?

Looking at all the data I am unsure why we have jumped the gun to cancel all NCAA events the rest of the year. Even if it ultimately gets cancelled I am a firm believer in developing a game plan and sticking to it. They completely abandoned their game plan.

I am not trying to be political with this post. This pandemonium will seriously hurt my business. It already has. This forum and Gator sports are supposed to be therapy but here I am venting about the world. Sorry to everyone for reading my ramblings. It just helps to type this out sometimes!

Go Gators.....at some future point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Ramble on. I think some venting is needed.
    To me, in a way I liken it to a cat 5 barreling down on us, the days before it, it’s sunny...people can get caught off guard.

but I agree. It’s like the decision makers have already decided the area is going to be hit hard and everything will be damaged. Everything - tennis courts to ball fields will need to be re-built.

Several of the predictive models are projecting catastrophe - On the order of the Spanish flu. But I’m not sure why you can’t do another assessment in a month?

• Like Like x 2
  3. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I will try to explain it to you, but I will not argue with you:

Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on. [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Correct.

This is not a hoax or fake news.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    What is your response to the likelihood of this virus being susceptible to warmer temperatures, if it is, based on other coronas? Or is it too soon to tell?

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Ask folks in Australia where it is still summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    The best explanation of this I have seen stuffed into such a small space.

8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    7.7% of our population
    *7.0% of our total cases
    *8.5% of our 24-hour increase
    4.2% of our deaths

*They have the ability to test more of their citizens than we do, so the actual % is likely lower than what the existing data reveals. Obviously the longer we go out, the more we can learn from the situation.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

That is a fine question debated among our physicians group. The prevailing opinion is that it is BS based simply on the fact that it has spread in hot places around the globe. I don't have an opinion based on my belief that part of being smart is knowing what you do not know.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Mani-

I appreciated the depth which you covered here. As I see news of all 42 Apple stores in China being reopened and fewer cased being reported it still hangs me up why we jumped the gun to cancel everything so quickly. I am not downplaying this virus just feel that the pause button was more appropriate than shutting down.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It will be interesting to see if China waited long enough, or if another wave shortly develops. I think worrying about "cancel" vs "postpone" really doesn't matter at this juncture. The present situation of "no activity" would be the same under either scenario, and future activities can and will be determined by conditions, not by decisions or announcements made now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    APK - Agreed and understand. One word would hold value in postponing vs cancelling, hope. I know some of these kids....right now they are lost. Have no idea what to do or what they should be doing. They are brokenhearted, angry and lost. The ones I have spoken with are just confused at best.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    as fans we are disappointed, as you said very well we need to remember who is really taking the hit when it comes to college sports, players, their families and I would add the people who work the games for their income
    good reminder @BSBLGATOR

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    One reason mentioned in the Teddy Cahill and Joe Healy podcast last week on Baseball America is that Omaha is by far the latest championship in the Spring. Basketball, gymnastics, etc all wouldn’t be able to get their championships in. In fact, DIII baseball couldn’t get theirs in. As a result, playing Omaha, even if possible, would have been unfair to all the other sports and thus blanket cancellations made more sense.

15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Very true about the kids. Important for the coaches at all levels to stay engaged and communicate as best they can.....individual workout programs, just touching base, group text to keep all engaged.
    I do know that many athletes here in Cent Fl are still working on their games...baseball guys are still hitting, tennis courts have been busy, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1