Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What Happens If This Year's College Football Season Is Only 4 Games Long?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tarponbro, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myltwon

myltwon Recruit

Nov 26, 2013
    Makes them think they have a magic antibacterial aura on their hands regardless of whether or not they wear the same gloves all day

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    On a good note, Georgia plays Alabama in its' third game so if the season goes four games they'll have had to play them. Roll Tide against Georgia. Against basically everyone else, screw Alabama. i hope they lose them all!!!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    One small point of clarification...
    It's my understanding that the NCAA only gave seniors an extra year of eligibility for the canceled spring season.
    So if an athlete was a senior in baseball or track, they got one more year.
    But all other athletes didn't get an extra year. They could take a RS, but it still counted against their total of 5.

If I'm wrong please correct.

4. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    An FBS school? I've seen lots of lower division schools dropping but no fbs. I think the money is so big, SOME kind of while will be played. Very likely without ooc patsies.

5. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    I believe ALL athletes get the extra year. I was reading how Jack Leftwich was a Junior last year and is coming back yet will still be a Junior in terms of eligibility. This is big in baseball as Juniors have the leverage to sign or go back to college. Seniors lose that leverage and tend to sign under slot value.

6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I hope so. I have an athlete I used to coach in the p5 and they told her that she wouldn't get that year back. Now she had already taken a Redshirt and she was a junior.
    So if she got the year back it would mean a 6th year- which is its own complication.

However, no one seemed to know for certain. She heard different things from different sources. (By source I mean college coaches. They didn't seem to know for sure.)

7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I would think that gloves protect only the wearer... and that's if he doesn't touch his own face with the false sense of security and also removes and disposes of them safely.

8. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Another domino falling today...

9. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    My mistake, multiple dominos falling today....AZ suspending student athletes returning with no return date in sight. You looking for an FBS school...look west my friend...

10. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    They will play, if kids get sick/die just move them to the sidelines, all that matters is the money.

11. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    As another poster said, I really don't envy presidents and ADs that have to make these decisions. But your main point is extremely important, the financial fallout of no football is devastating. Does a school just yank scholarships for all of the non-revenue sports (and furlough all of those coaches for a year) since they didn't get any football revenue to pay for them?

The economics of a school like Morehouse are very different, football may not even be profitable there and most athletic funds likely come from student fees. So that's an easier decision to make in a lot of ways. UF has way more bills to pay.

Football (and basketball) will be played. I have no idea how or when but not doing so will be too costly.

12. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Don’t count your chickens. More to come in the next couple of days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.