Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What Happens If This Year's College Football Season Is Only 4 Games Long?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tarponbro, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Do all of each team's players get to red shirt, therefore getting an extra year of eligibilty? Your opinions, please...

2. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    FSU declares they won another Championship.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So would UCF. And Alabama. Anyone who was 4-0 would claim a title.

If the season is only 4 games, I expect the NCAA would grant everyone another year of eligibility, just like they did when the spring sports seasons were cancelled. But that would open a huge can of worms, unless the NCAA also increased the scholarship limit in football. Otherwise, there would be almost no room for the recruiting class of 2021.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    I dont think anyone here claims a championship at 4 - 0 beating 3 patsies and Kentucky.

5. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    That wont happen, because the season is NOT happening. The first domino fell today, as one school has already declared they will not be playing fall sports.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    You could be correct, but it is much easier for a historically black college or university to cancel a season where they will lose money without alumni in seats than the SEC where they will make $49 million each from TV contracts, regardless of butts in seats.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Which school?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Then SWAC declares itself national champion, just like basketball.

• Like Like x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dammit!!! Beat me to it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    You're getting a little slow. You need to at least increase your training regimen...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Getting on in years, my friend. Sadly, no matter how deep you dig your trenches or high you build your walls, the tide will always take your sand castle.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    No football, no college athletics. End of story. Few athletic departments could survive with a year of no revenue. Few have the cash flow to borrow even enough to cover their fixed costs for a year, and service that debt going forward. And they would have to cover more than the fixed in order to be able to re-start in a year.

I am amazed at the thought process of these university presidents. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Morehead, in Atlanta, has canceled both of their fall 2020 sports.

Morehouse cancels football season due to coronavirus pandemic

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Atlanta? Covid is just a convenient excuse imo. Atlanta is basically a demilitarized zone right now.

The rioting up there with little to no cops on duty is The real rwson because it would jot be "PC" to blame it on he rioting.

Just like in Florida right now... blaming bars for Covid spikes when its two weeks after more than a week of protesting and rioting. 100k people or more protestors and rioters statewide ignoring all covid protocols for over a week have nothing to do with the spikes, but bars do? Yeah, uh huh.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You know the deal.

16. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

this is not correct and completely untrue

we visited one of our children who lives near piedmont park this week.

no curfews, small-ish peaceful protest, that’s it ... this week after the massive protests 12 days ago . while there is tension....Gov. Brian Kemp signedhate crimes legislation that hadn’t advanced for 16 years

I’m not sure what the agenda is to try to spin it this way but I can tell you firsthand we never felt unsafe there

To suggest it is a demilitarized zone is at best uninformed

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  17. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would guess Morehouse loses money on football and every other sport... and certainly the Atlanta economy isn't dependent on Morehouse sports in the slightest. The decision making is a little different for them than P5 schools...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Nothing uninformed about it. There was no spin intended either. That's just your opinion and it's wrong.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Miami has the highest cases in the State of Florida and the bars are not even open yet. The Mayor kept beaches closed during Memorial Day and throughout the first two weeks of street protests. Now the Mayor is closing the Miami beaches again, including for the July 4th weekend. Meanwhile, they had another protest yesterday where young people gathered and marched in the street, including going in the Highway again. These individuals, many you saw on local news casts were not wearing masks properly, some not at all, some with their nose showing and no one was wearing protective eye wear to prevent droplets from entering their eyes. No social distancing, crowds of 10 or more and greater than 15 minutes.

They close the beaches for those that are healthy, but allow young people to continue to transfer the disease to others in these daily protests. It is no secret that the age of those with the virus has gotten younger and it has occurred during the protests. It is aligned specifically with the protests, but no one is allowed to speak of this. No politician or media member. They are all afraid. The politicians and media are now lying to you and taking away your rights while allowing these protests to continue. You sheltered at home for over 2 months only for the government to allow protests to spread the virus among young people throughout the community. In NYC and other cities, they are specifically forbidden from asking if someone with the virus attended a protest in their contact tracing. Not really contact tracing then.

Protests are occurring on our streets without a permit, they are blocking traffic and not entering the streets at crosswalks, which is illegal, and they are walking onto Highways and blocking traffic, which is illegal. No one is being arrested. They have allowed these protests to occur. They have allowed the virus to grow among young people and now we will all suffer as a result of their inaction. They are blaming other groups for their failures to control the spread amongst protestors.

Everyone in the US needs to wear a mask, wash hands, practice social distancing, perhaps wear gloves, ..., but the inability to talk about the fact that young people of all races are or have attended these protests in the thousands in each city is a part of the challenge or problem. We will not control the spread until this occurs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Good to hear from you Gray! Well said my friend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.