Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What Happens After July?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tarponbro, May 28, 2020.

1. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Put minimum wage to $20 and see how it works out. I would guess that over half that GDP’s payroll will more than double. Think they’ll stay?

2. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    I’m going to eat with the family. Out to eat. Supporting the economy instead of hiding in my basement. I admit now that I will look at this thread when I get home. What have I done to myself?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    You better get yourself a hunter orange mask.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    You are better off arguing for a UBI when someone turns 21 and is willing to work than for increasing the minimum wage. I hear what you concerns are. You want to make sure if someone is employed as a full time W-2 employee or 1099 contractor, they can have enough to pay the rent, put food on the table, and save some money each month. Only 2.7% of workers are making minimum wage. The population segment you are concerned with are the people making more than minimum wage but are below the average salary of US workers.

Arguing for raising the minimum wage is not going to result in those workers making a living wage. It is going to result in less hours for hourly employees and/or some employees being let go as business invest in automation and/or increasing prices. The DC city council voted for an increase in the minimum wage for restaurant workers in '18 and then had to vote to rescind it after DC restaurant workers themselves said they did not want a raise in the minimum wage as they were happy with the way things were.

D.C. Repeals a Minimum Wage Hike That Restaurant Workers Didn't Want

5. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Those workers would be better off investing in themselves by going to vocational school, apprenticing in a building trade at or just above minimum wage, or taking out a student loan and going to college. Planning to somehow go through your professional life making minimum wage is a terrible, terrible idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Or raise the minimum wage. What the hell is unskilled labor anyway. The migrant laborers who are picking fruits and vegetables are way more skilled at it than the Americans who are unwilling to take those jobs.

7. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Unskilled labor is a 16 to 18 year old kid that has no experience other than being in high school. They have no applicable set of skills or specialized knowledge other than being an able body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You weren’t talking about kids in your prior post. There are plenty of agricultural jobs, restaurant jobs, etc that have to be filled by adults. It’s unfair, IMO, that those people can’t make a living. We can all pay a few cents more if necessary.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  9. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    I’ve got a lawn service. Two guys are at my house for about 30 minutes a week. So that’s about an hour in total. Toss in 15 minutes travel time between jobs for the pair of them and you get about 1.5 hours associated with my yard.

If they are making $10 an hour and that’s increased to $15, the cost goes up $7.50 per mow. In the $20 an hour scenario that I’ve not heard anywhere but this thread it goes up $15 per mow.

So on 4 mows a month that’s an increase of $30 to $60 a month. Sign me up.

Your $175 a month increase is absurd. Are you incapable of math or thought?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I think we have to see what happens in June to figure out July.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Don't look this forum in the eyes man. It will suck you in. The drama in the Den is like a gnat on the elephant's back. :)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    It's scary when you look into the void. You don't expect the void to look back at you and whisper "....... fake... news " " ...... deep ... state"

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Lol. Yes. I’m incapable. Not sure what u pay but I know what I pay. Cost of labor is about .25 above cost to cover taxes / comp, but I’m sure u knew that. I tried to simplify it to a ratio. I learned a long time ago that anyone that feels smarter by demoralizing aren’t usually very smart.

14. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    It is strangely addictive. Lol

15. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    What about those teenagers that work and at least some of their pay goes to help their household? There's a lot of young people who work part time or full time jobs that do that. A substantial increase in the minimum wage would help them tremendously. Their parents might even not need their help to pay bills, etc. if the minimum wage were substantially increased.

16. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    The minimum wage should've been steadily increasing for at least the last 10 years but it hasn't. We can only blame the people we've elected to the House, Senate and Presidency for this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The minimum wage was unnecessary the last several years anyway. Every one was paying above that to hire people as the unemployment rate was so low. Our company doesn't hire anyone at the minimum wage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    I can tell for a fact that there are people working insert machines at newspapers working for $8 an hour. That’s not my slice of the business, but I’ve had people join my part from that part.

There were 3.3 million people making less than minimum wage in 2014. (*corrected / had put 2019 in error. See City’s post down a few for updated numbers) There were 24 million making less than the $10.10 that was being looked at for a federal minimum wage.

Making more than minimum wage, but less than $10.10 an hour

24 million people making $1,750 a month or less. It isn’t a pretty number.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That article is 6 years old. There were a lot of jobs created in the last 6 years and more people were working than ever before prior to the COVID crisis.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Thanks. I thought I saw 2019.