Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What Happens After July?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tarponbro, May 28, 2020.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    What is your definition of a living wage? Specifically how much salary a year and with what benefits?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    If we reopen fully will we still practice social distancing at work, in stores, restaurants, schools, etc.? To me social distancing is a key component of slowing the spread of this disease.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Obviously depends on state and locality, but the threshold should be enough to start and maintain a savings account.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Social distancing is assumed in reopening in the phased approached laid out by most state governments.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    67% of the unemployed are making more money than they made working is another argument for increasing the minimum wage. $15.00 per hour for 40 hours = $600.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    To make about $46k/yr, we would have to raise the minimum wage to about $24/hr based on a 1920 hr work year. And if this for W-2 employees, throw on about another 25% for fringe costs associated with that position, ie payroll taxes, etc, and now it is costing the employer $30/hr.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Do you know how many of the 67% made $30,000 or less last year? Can anyone furnish this information for me? I'm not talking about $600 plus unemployment. I think $600 per week by itself is probably sufficient to get most people through these difficult times.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    It’s unemployment plus 600. For lots of states it works out over 50k a year. McDonald’s will have to start paying $25/hr to compete. Sounds reasonable

9. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    The money is out there. Savings are actually up right now as people are hording their money they get from the uc / bonus payment. They will continue to do so if the govt continues to keep some states shut down and printing money to keep paying

10. Balbanes

Balbanes All American

Oct 7, 2014
    It's not a question of money, it's a question of safety. Over 2/3rds of Americans don't think it is safe to go out shopping, dining, etc. Even if you reopen everything 100%, you're not going to see even half of those people return to spending.

What is your plan to fix that? Because without that, the economy isn't returning.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Go to work like our grandparents would’ve done. If you are truly in the dangerous age group you’re probably retired anyway. It’s really just a matter of deciding if the risk of getting sick is worth destroying everything for your kids.

12. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I do not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Work at what? If you don't have customers, how would you have work?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    Lol. I guess the solution is just to hide in our homes until fauci gives us the all clear. Sounds like an excellent strategy. We’re working here in Florida. Never stopped. Restaurants are crowded and people are actually functioning. Other states should try it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I notice you still aren't addressing the point the made about customers. A lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. He made a point that many customers are not going to go back to businesses without feeling safe. Without customers, you can't just say "go back to work." With fewer customers, fewer people will go back to work. Restaurants appear to be at 50% in Florida. Clearly, you don't need a full staff for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    I’m saying it’s a chicken or the egg question. If stores don’t open there’s nowhere for a customers to go to. If customers don’t go out stores will go out of business. One has to be the first to happen. In this case stores need to open for customers to have someplace to go

17. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes it is. I'm not saying we should give unemployment plus $600 per week, but a maximum of $275 per week in Florida is totally ridiculous. There should probably be about twice that much for unemployment here until our economy recovers. I'm also not against renewing the $600 per week plus unemployment for another two months. Review things at the end of each two month cycle and adjust things accordingly. Just saying we can't afford it is BS. If we can't afford this we should start slashing money from our defense budget too.

18. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    If everybody did it, that payroll tax for social programs will not need to be as high.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    I've got a close friend who works at a popular seafood restaurant. They normally have quite a wait list on weekends. They're at 50% capacity now and don't have anything like the wait list they had before all this started. She gets cut loose an hour early on a lot of weeknights because it's too slow to keep everyone working.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. snatchmagnet

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    $275 is ridiculous, I totally agree. It’s also ridiculous to pay someone $40k a year to sit at home if they were making $15/hr. Pay them what they are accustomed and budgeted to live on. And raising minimum wage essentially accomplishes nothing as cost of living just increases to adjust for added employer costs

• Agree Agree x 1