Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What Happens After July?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tarponbro, May 28, 2020.

1. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Why don't we just make those lazy workers go back into their low-paying jobs with things like cattle prods and whips? Or maybe just use the questionable "magnet" in your username?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think we need to get reopened and then see what is what. We’ve already spent $2.5 Trillion dollars. So let’s see what we bought and then decide what additional actions may or may not be necessary.

There is a story about Ike when he was President of Columbia University and there was an argument about where to put in sidewalks. Ike settled it by saying don’t do anything for a year and where the students have beaten a path in the grass, that’s where the sidewalks will go.

I think we need to see where the economy is headed prior to putting in any new sidewalks to help it along the way.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Ever tried to hire anyone in a major metropolitan area for less than $50k/yr? They will leave one job for another for about $1500 more. What financial incentive would anyone not making $46k a year or under have to go back to work? This isn't about people being lazy, it is about economics and serious life choices people have to make based off their family and financial situations.

4. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    You've got an answer to everything! The answer is always some variation of "have you ever managed/hired/employed/thought about payroll", but good on you for finding multiple uses for your many square pegs.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    67% of the unemployed are making more than they made working. They aren't going back to work any time soon. Paid three month vacations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    In order to keep getting the payments you'll have to actively look for jobs and cannot refuse to take one if offered. What else do you want these people to do?

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    If someone's job has reopened and they are called back to work should they be able to say nope I'm staying home because I make more at home than going to work? There are many companies hiring in my area throughout the shutdown paying 12-15/hr yet I still see people choosing to stay home and collect the Gov Goodies.

8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I thought that requirement was put on hold due to the special circumstances...?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

It is a fair point though. Those of us who have payrolls to oversee have a different perspective. Not better or worse....just different.

His point about workforce motivation is a valid one and actually a central point to any economy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

It was, but will run out shortly we can assume.
    People wont be allowed to chose not to work if jobs are offered back.

The tougher one is if the higher benefits are extended where does the motivation for the remaining unemployed come from? That is where the policy to actively search will need to be reinstated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It was for a little while but not anymore in Florida. I know because my wife is having to go through it now. The cool part is they didn't notify anyone and my wife had to answer truthfully last week about not looking for a job. This week she didn't get benefits which sucks for us.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Perhaps that's because Florida is opening back up and many employers that's were closed are bringing people back. What line of work is the wife in?

13. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Job search requirement was waived through the week ending May 30.

14. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It was supposed to be but as I posted the requirement was back as of 2 weeks ago since my wife was denied benefits for her last claim.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    She's ordinarily a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant but due to some injuries she was substitute teaching for a while. Now she's just looking for anything.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Balbanes

Balbanes All American

Oct 7, 2014
    Economy is 70% consumer spending. What is your plan to get consumers to spend again?

• Like Like x 2
  17. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    I'm surprised I haven't heard people mention this and I haven't read anything about it, but here's my take on $600 per week as unemployment payments. What's a normal work week, 40 hours? What's $600 divided by 40? $15 per hour. That's what progressive Democrats want to increase the minimum wage to.

18. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Yes, paying people less than they made before (which is already what regular unemployment does) will definitely help to keep the economy going. This is a special circumstance and deserves special treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Didn't the Pennsylvania governor have the right response to this, though? Pay people more.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Hope about we pay people a living wage?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1