Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What happened to Garrett Milchin?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by jdgator, Apr 14, 2019.

1. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Redshirted last season. Do we expect him back this year? Would be nice boost.

2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Did he have tj surgery? I remember what looked like him blowing his arm out at the end of the 17 season. If so, he'd probably start seeing spot duty later in the season. Or maybe see if they can get him a medical shirt and sit one more year.

3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Why are kids this young requiring TJ surgery?

My guess is that weight training has progressed to the point where muscle strength advances faster than the connective tissue strength in their training. If you make the muscles stronger than their attachments there will be an eventual failure of the attachments. When I learned fencing (the sport, not the trade) I was taught to put a lot of time on my knees under stress. They told me that it would build up the connective tissue because you need that to be super strong when you explosively lunge.

Maybe pitching a heavy baseball as training might be better. Or just throwing a lot with your natural arm slot in the off season.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I can’t speak for Garrett but when I played, I rotated sports. I didn’t play baseball in the summer at all. I played in the fall only after I turned 13. Otherwise, I played soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring. That had to make it easier on my arm. But of course I threw about 82-85 mph so I wasn’t exactly a power pitcher.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Showcases, too much travel ball and the stress it brings and baseball 365 days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    I heard a stat last night while watching MLB, that on average, 25% of each MLB staff has had TJ surgery. And, around 90% of games last year featured at least one pitcher who had undergone TJ. Unbelievable.

7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

My guess is with all the year ‘round ball out there today nobody’s in a cycle like the days of the past—

We always set guys up to completely shut down from throwing the 1st of September—one complete month of total body rest (a lot of fishing involved) then come back to weight room & road work for the month of October starting on the first—the first of November it was weights including upper body M-W-F, and lower body Tu-Thurs-Sat—

We ran on upper body days and long tossed on leg/back days—

Then the first of December we started low-profile pens on leg/back days—graduating pitch counts and types of pitches gradually—

I taught off of Nolan Ryan’s Pitcher’s Bible—(available @ most all bookstores)—

The main thing that we always believed in and did was maintained a long toss program Nov-Dec-Jan to build arm strength (straight out of Nolan Ryan’s Pitcher’s Bible)—

Not really sure that that type of arm strength programs remain in place today, but I would hope so—

8. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m so glad someone brought this book up. The best book ever. Also recommended throwing footballs. I know I followed it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Overheard Fabian’s dad mention Milchin had to undergo another procedure at the beginning of the year to clean out an infection that developed in his arm.

Set back his rehab. Might be ready next season?

Edit: yes, he had TJ surgery last season.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for update

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think some kids are throwing more with their arms than legs today. Not enough good pitching coaches before they get to college or minors. Mechanics are not always there

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Noticed he was still wearing the arm brace at the start of this season which I thought was odd but now it makes sense.

13. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Milchin’s dad pitched at Clemson and in the big leagues for several years. He is now a sports agent who lists Justin Verlander among his clients.

Travel ball can definitely be an issue but something tells me a guy with his background made sure his kid’s arm was not abused by anyone growing up.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I grew up in Chicago, so I played baseball whenever I could and that meant that most of the winter there wasn't any. Fun fact: I played pick-up ball the day before the 23 inch snowfall back in the '60's that shut the city down for a couple of days.

• Like Like x 2
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I dont ever remember him throwing a ton of innings in high school or travel. I remember as a soph in high school thinking he was our future 3b

16. bigpete

bigpete Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    His Dad is also very good friends w/ Sully So I'm sure Sully doesn't want to do anything that could jeopardize Garrett's future. Does any body Remember when Milchin got hurt in the CWS? I do because He hurt his arm an all in one motion he walked off the mound and into the dugout. It was very odd.

17. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Yep. He threw two consecutive pitches to the backstop and went straight to the dugout. Did not wait on the trainer. Looked like he was in tears before he got to the steps. You could tell it was bad.

18. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Garret popped his UCL during the World Series game mentioned by others 6/17. He redshirted 2018. Came back in fall ‘18 after 12-13 months. Went thru fall 2018 and required a second TJ this Spring. Not a good look. Accurate to say Sully and his dad WERE good friends.

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Your correct but I’d add overthrowing or being overused by travel coaches when kids are young. I’ve seen it a ton! 13-14 year olds being way overused and not receiving proper coaching. Kids at 13-14 are not near to being fully developed. Couple that with improper fundamentals and technique being taught and lots end up with issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    These kids play baseball 9-10 months a year. Arm gets sore/tired and they “rest” for a few weeks and they are back at it.