Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) What effect will Oklahoma coming to the SEC have on UF Softball?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by johnny_cakes, Jul 25, 2021.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I'm thinking maybe this hurts for recruiting. Getting to play in the SEC over the mostly crappy Big 12 had to be a big recruiting advantage for UF. And if Oklahoma ever breaks ground on its long-delayed but really nicely designed new stadium to replace Marita Hynes Field, yikes, they'd have it all.

The only bright side is seeing Oklahoma play at KSP and a big bump to our RPI (when we win).

And who knows? Maybe Patty Grasso doesn't coach well in a tight conference race as opposed to Oklahoma’s usual steamrolling of the Big 12!! :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    I was thinking the same way when it comes to recruiting. Some have said OU will come in and take over sec softball but i just don’t seem see it happening. No doubt OU is good and will be good, but having to on play sec opponents every week is going to show how inflated some of those stats they’ve had are. Also, playing tough competition every week will not let them have an “off” weekend. What’s funny is now OU fans that have downplayed the sec for so long are about to jump on board

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatornharlem

gatornharlem Sophomore

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    I've had a few Twitter conversations with cocky Sooner fans. I told them a few things-1) until they get a new stadium, their's will be the oldest, smallest and ugliest in the SEC. 2) Forget a .400+ team batting average. Pitching quality in the SEC vs Big 12 is like community college vs Div 1. Most SEC teams have a full staff with at least 2 ace pitchers. 3) 40-game winning streaks will be a thing of the past. Losing 10 games would be an outstanding season. But I do expect them to be top tier in the SEC along with Alabama and us. 4) The intensity level with each series will be like playing Oklahoma St EVERY weekend but with 3,000 fans yelling at full throttle against you. And when you are playing one of the bottom dwellers and think you can relax, they will more than likely be good enough to be a NCAA tournament team. 2 out of the last 3 seasons every SEC team made the tournament. 8 out of top 16 seeds were from SEC.What I'm really excited is Oklahoma Women's Gymnastics joining the SEC! 8 SEC meets-4 home and 4 away- plus 2 or 3 more meets.. And the SEC Championships will be crazy! And way more intense than the Final 8 NCAA meet!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, OU will be just like UF and Bama....an elite team that will drop games throughout the tough conference schedule. The most interesting aspect may actually be scheduling. How many conference series and what form of rotation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yea, all the discussion regarding OU and UT has been regarding football, but there are certainly some interesting issues regarding other sports also, especially scheduling the other sports. I could easily see OU not matching up with Bama or UF in gymnastics during the regular season initially and certainly not traveling east. Same in baseball/softball.

Of course it still annoys me that the Aggies got to open their SEC football season by hosting the Gators, so the Gators will probably be visiting Norman or Austin for gymnastics or baseball/softball in that first season.
    Newbies should have to travel IMO. Welcome to the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. gatornharlem

gatornharlem Sophomore

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Gymnastics scheduling will be better with the addition of Oklahoma. Currently with 8 teams, you have 4 home and 3 away one year, then 3 home 4 away the following year. With 9 teams it will even out-4 home, 4 away. SEC Championships has been divided into 2 sessions- top 4 in the prime night session and bottom 4 in the day session. It will be interesting how SEC will resolve the format with 9 teams? Top 4 for the prime night session? 5 teams will force to have 1 team sit out each event which is bad for TV.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatornharlem

gatornharlem Sophomore

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    But we will be forever known as Texas A&M's 1st loss as a SEC member.
    Jeopardy: Question-"Texas A&M's first conference defeat after becoming a member of the SEC?"
    Answer-"Who are the Florida Gators"

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Nothing like women’s gymnastics to get me excited about OU coming to Sec.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Definitely will be an Answer in Jeopardy! Any day now

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Im not sure I even care anymore, but unless your Bama football, your odds at a SEC title in any sport just dwindled, more for some(cough, cough) than others. Obviously softball w/ OU on the extreme end of this. And they arent getting any further away from where all the talent is(west) Should improve SEC dreadful postseason numbers at least

Ive been saying for 20 years the entire country needed realigned conference wise, so I dont have to hear the SOS whining, conf pride, just means more sillyness, etc. anymore... and to make it fair for all... This isnt exactly what I had in mind..lol If not a total realignment, the SEC needed to get weaker(add mids) not stronger IMO.

Football wise I think 4 conferences, 20 teams, 4 divisions each is inevitable. With a NFL style playoff format. Also would wager the NFL will be hte main $$ to escape from NCAA.

11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Baseball series at Disch Falk will be FUN! Been a while since I have gotten to go to Disch Falk and to get to see the Gators play would be terrific.

12. gatornharlem

gatornharlem Sophomore

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    I sense sarcasm in your statement. Normally I would say nothing. But Florida and Oklahoma have been the elite programs for the last 8 years. In 2014, we tied Oklahoma for the national championship and shared the title. The gymnastics rival is probably as heated (if not more) as the softball rivalry. Coach Rowland started her coaching career at Oklahoma. So did Coach Walton.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Some Gators only like football and to a lesser extent basketball and baseball. Some of us love ALL Gator sports. I love to watch Gator softball, gymnastics, lacrosse, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, etc. The athletes in all these sports put in just as much time and effort into their sports as do all the others and I appreciate them all. To each his own, but I'm a fan of every one of our UF programs, coaches and athletes. Go Gators!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Plenty would say the same about baseball

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Guilty as charged. Truly I care only about the big 3 fball , b-ball, and basketball . I will peak in the softball if the make it to their CWS .I really do not like the game of fast pitch . I don’t know where you guys get the time to follow the other stuff. With football recruiting there is not much time.(sarcastic) I wonder is it interesting ( the other sports ) because you might be closer to Gainesville? You pay attention to the other sports.
    Nobody that I know ever brings these sports up. I guess that’s why I don’t care about all sports trophies. What’s the big deal here? Florida should probably win that every year anyway.
    I did hear we won the Tennis championship a couple days ago. But gymnastics , Lax, swimming ? Great for the kids working hard at it but...
    Sitting in a sports bar talking sports nobody brings these other sports up.
    Am I going to the wrong sports bars. ?
    Don’t hate. In your circle of sport friends do you actually talk about swim meets or women’s lax.? There isn’t even a conference title for lax.

16. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Yep
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Still have UFC & PGA..about only 2 left w/out social or political agendas. And I include major college sports in that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    Man, I am so different from your indifference to women's softball. I love to watch it. Even though they want to win as much as the guys, they seem to enjoy the experience more than the guys. Especially the ones that are not even playing. The game goes faster, and their skill levels are amazing. And to watch what the pitchers can do with the softball is unbelievable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Good for you.

20. joebrown352

joebrown352 Sophomore

Jan 19, 2012
    For me personally, I’m a big baseball fan in general, so I pay a lot of attention to softball as well and I think the college softball product is better than college baseball. I don’t pay as much attention to the less discussed sports, but whether people are actively discussing these in sports bars has no bearing on my enjoyment of the sport.