Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What does Willie tell his friends and family?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Nov 20, 2019.

1. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not sure the quick hook on Taggert is the biggest negative in the FSU coaching search. IMHO it is that both of the next coach's bosses will be gone in a year. I think most agents would be very skeptical of placing a top shelf coach in such a position. I think Willie tells people the same thing he said in his formal statement, he did not have time to complete what he started, not that he failed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I read where Arky quit paying Bielema (sp?) his buyout because he was not seeking a coaching job anywhere else? Is this a standard clause in buyouts?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Willie isn't qualified to carry Zook's jock strap. Zook was ten times the coach Willie will ever be. Willie had one tough game a year in the All Cupcake Conference plus Florida, yet he still couldn't produce a winning record. The guy can't coach a lick, and his teams were absolute clown shows on the field. You remember the coaches poll that named him one of the most "overrated" coaches? That was BEFORE his dumpster fire at FSU. The coaches knew what they were seeing.

And I think comparing him to McElwain insults McElwain. Mac inherited a huge mess left by the proven loser Muschamp, and yet still produced a nine win season, and a ten win season--in the SEC. No comparison.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    "There's gold in them thar backpacks."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I know this might be a bit contrarian, but I truly think a guy like Willie that position would sum it up with words to the effect, “I didn’t get the job done in the time and manner which was expected of me.”

6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Right- if you are trying to argue with me then please dial it down. I never said anything of the sort, that Zook was at all equivalent to Taggart.
    Taggart goes 2-9 or 1-10 against the Zooker's schedule each year from 02-04.
    I just said that both could point to bad luck as one factor for their firings. (Edit- and both were in over their heads. I should have added that Willie T was 10 feet over his head, while zook was 1 foot under.)

And Zook did have some bad luck, if being involved 2 of the biggest officiating screw jobs of all time can be described as luck. (I don't know what else to call it. It certainly wasn't Zook's fault.)
    He also had at least 1 game affected by the hurricane which could have affected the Miss State loss, which eventually got the Zooker fired.

Taggart is completely incompetent, and IMO actually had some good luck in that the ACC is one of the worst p5 conferences this century.
    But i'm sure Willie T doesn't see it that way.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Mar 26, 2008
    And now, Atlanta
    Something to the effect of get in the limo, and shut up, as our family has generational wealth?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    A lot of them have an "offset" provision where the buyout amount is offset by whatever they end up earning at their next spot. His contract also included a clause that required him to "diligently seek and accept other employment." (See p.25: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/public/ab-Bret-Bielema-Contract.PDF ) He accepted a position to coach D-Line for the Patriots for $50k a year, which Arkansas apparently believes is bad faith, since they only get to offset about $4k from each of his $320k+ monthly buyout payments...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Gus Malzahn will probably go 8-4 or possibly 9-3 and there’s talk of firing I’m.

His buyout is $27 million.

10. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    That was "dialed up" to you?

11. metalcoater

metalcoater Senior

May 30, 2007
    Well Lethal Simplicity did not work out, but we still go lots of money. Pass me the crab legs.

12. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Its their job. You ever have a family member who got fired or had a failed business? It's not really that important of a conversation with family unless you work for family. You guys think too hard.

13. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    He will end up in ARK. Why would any big school hire him with his overall record. But then SC hired Muschamp.

14. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

No one mentioned what I think he believes and will say privately, which is that he did not get enough time to change the culture. I think otherwise, but hat is irrelevant.

As far as Zook goes, he was limited as a coach and as a human being. Anyone who wants to fight fraternity assholes as an adult is an idiot.

15. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    “This round is on FSU”

16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    An honest answer?
    Sometimes life isn’t fair, but you pick up and move on. I did my best, and I can look at myself in the mirror in the morning, so I will be ok.

17. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Willie doesn't tell his family anything....

He simply takes his $18 Million buyout...has the "installments" so promised by the "boosters"...sent to an offshore account in the Caymans, where he's gonna build his "Island in the Sky"....

"Little Willy Won't Go Home"

18. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Im sure you would work, it would just be on your terms

19. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    The story I heard about Zook's frat encounter did not include him trying to physically fight people.

20. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

He challenged them is what I understood. In any event, he was a buffoon and lacked the class that a head coach should have at UF.