Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What does Willie tell his friends and family?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Nov 20, 2019.

1. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Seriously I often wonder what these coaches such as Willie and MacShark tell their friends and family about the colossal failures they left behind.

Do they trash the school and administration? Do they simply laugh all the way to the bank? Do they justify their coaching existence in some pitiful way?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably, "Happy Thanksgiving, family! Who wants to help me spend millions of unearned buyout money?"

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

@The_Graygator and I were actually talking about something similar to this topic this morning, via text, with respect to the state of the current coaching search.. This is what I texted to Gray and in which he agreed it could possibly play out this way:

"The irony of all this is that the person that could potentially look best in this whole calamity is Willie...

The longer this drags out, the worse it looks on their aau, administration, as well as the boosters.

All Willie has to do is come out and simply say that this was never his program because I could only do what the administration and boosters who had way too much input, would allow me to do."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. GATORnGA

GATORnGA Senior

Dec 5, 2007
    Gray, GA

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I love you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Don't spend it all at once?

7. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Not sure but my grown kids and wife would be happy as hell if I brought that kind of money home. Then all the kids would have to do is figure out where the wife and I were at.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    While I understand some of the coaching failures seem bad at the end of the day it’s nothing that doesn’t happen in other professions every day. Sometimes you get hired and you don’t do well and it’s over. And really Mcelwain can always hang on to “two SEC East division titles.” And they both made a shitload of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Don’t cry for Willie. He will be just fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. robertgator

robertgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I did my best, we didn’t get it done. Looking for a new opportunity.

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    “ I may suck at coaching bit I’m rich bitch”

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

bit also unemployed... bit I'm sure he doesn't care with that much money...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If you gave me 20 mil, I’d never coach or do any type of work again. I get it that for some, their work is their life and that’s what fulfills them. That’s not me. Take that job and shove it.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "So what university should we milk next?"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I sure hope he sends a hefty Christmas gift to Quentin Flowers every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I hate FSU but I never hated Willie. He’s given us so much to be thankful for. :D

On a more serious note, I never enjoy watching people fail while it’s happening as long as they aren’t dbags as people. Yes Willie gets a boatload of money to go away but imagine every time you go back to your home state you’re recognized as a joke? Imagine the thing you love doing is taken away from you (coaching, recruiting, developing) and having to start over from a lower level of you’re even that lucky.

Anyone that has been fired or didn’t make a team or got divorced or any other litany of failures knows how bad it feels. The money is secondary to your own self esteem and it’s hard to look in the mirror and know that you’re not good enough and may never be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First, I think the quick hook helps Willie more than FSU. No respectable coach wants to go somewhere where the program wants results yesterday. Not that it exonerates him but he can hold onto the fact that "I had a plan, the mess was too big for immediate results and the program just didn't get it."

But to me the biggest thing, albeit somewhat uneducated since I am not one of them, is that when you go for the gold, as coaches in major college football are mainly doing, they have their heads down and are pushing all the time. What is being asked is "what do they think when they are in quiet reflection" and to me that is like asking what a redwood tree does on the moon. They just don't go there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think this is what they mean by “Fail forward fast”.

19. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    I don't think he has 'all that money' in the bank yet - from what I heard - he will be paid in installments over the next several years - so he is currently rich in name only.

But hey, I'd take that - and never have to work again - I wouldn't feel bad at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    What a thoughtful and well- balanced post. This is a football message board- are you sure you are in the right place?

About Willie and Mac- I think both can say what a lot of people say after a job or athletic career or even marriage goes awry...

A version of the following...
    • I made some mistakes but had some bad luck and some bad circumstances.
    • I did my best, and if I had walked into a better situation I think I would have done well. I can say this because I had success here and here.
    • It was a bad fit from the beginning.
    I also agree w/ Matt that I take no joy in Willie being humiliated like he was.
    It sounded like he was a nice guy- just in over his head. (Reminds me of the Zooker in that regard.)

• Like Like x 2