Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What channel will The ACC Network be on at DirecTV?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bryan85, Aug 13, 2019.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    I see
    I see it as a possibility in say softball and baseball..say the Gators are playing the Noles in baseball on a Wedesday and also in the SEC is a game where the Tide is playing anywhere...

I do not know what will happen as to cross carrying, but is a real possibility. I know Noles were watching their softball them on the SEC Network. The games may show up on another source, but unless it is a big game, it will have the ACC announcers and such..

2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    In softball and baseball, the game in tally is usually on acc network. The game in gville is on sec, and neutral site game is usually on espn, espnu, espn2, or espn3.

3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yes, I suppose that is a possibility. Fortunately ESPN operates both networks, and I have to assume they would want to push the premier games, even in smaller sports, to the primary ESPN networks or SEC Network, since it has national carriage. Or maybe like you say they'll show some games on both.

I honestly don't see the ACC Network ever commanding national carriage. The Pac-12 has been around since 2011 and to date, Dish Network is The Pac-12 Network's only national carriage. Not only does the Pac-12 Network not have national carriage, they really don't even have regional or even statewide carriage anywhere. They even just lost the local market carriage they had in LA and SF with AT&T Uverse.

Keep in mind when I say that that the Pac-12 has a really strong footprint, not unlike the SEC. They have a virtual monopoly of all the top sports programs in CA (4), WA (2), OR (2) and AZ (2), as well as the flagship state universities of UT and CO. Yet they can't even get statewide carriage in those states from anybody. The ACC has the top schools in NC and VA only.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    How's that? The network hasn't even started yet.

I mean logically it would be, like when right to UF/FSU football games in Tally are owned by ABC and Gainesville games are CBS, but it may be a little different if nobody is carrying the ACC Network.

5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    They show an acc channel on the espn app and i know i had to use my moms login credentials to watch the fl vs fsu game in tally last year. Pretty sure it was on that acc channel, but maybe it was on espn3. The directtvnow login doesn’t work for espn3, so maybe it was that, just thought it was acc. I know my normal login worked for the game in gville and the one in jax. Maybe I’m crazy...

6. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Nope, I’m not crazy, last years game in Tally was on acc....

IMG_1758.jpg

7. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Comedy Central.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Those are not the actual ACC Network. It is yet to launch.
    Those are more digital ESPN extensions that show ACC games.

10. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Gotcha. I think that was a little different. Pretty sure that was the previous Raycom Sports network. It was kind of a loose network of local radio and TV affiliates. The SEC also had a similar network prior to the SEC Network that started probably back in the 90s (may have gone through some name changes). Think they did some regional sports for other conferences as well. They may still do some other sports.

Some of the programming, particularly football games, would be picked up by ESPN for ESPN3 and the old college football game plan.

But now the SEC and ACC own and control the rights to all their sports with ESPN and Raycom is out of the picture completely.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I don’t know about any of that. I don’t generally follow anything going on in the acc, just remembered having to figure out how to watch the gator baseball games, lol.

If they put those games on the acc network, it wouldn’t be that far fetched to assume they will continue to do this once the “real” one is launched, would it?

12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

old nickelodeon channel...

13. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think that depends. I think the SEC would like that to be the case.

But here's the problem. The Raycom TV Network at least had local TV affiliates in all the ACC markets and most of the region, so the ACC games were available on every cable and satellite provider via the local channels, so people could see at least the games Raycom picked up.

If the ACC Network doesn't get much/any carriage, which I expect will be the case, those games on the ACC Network, which are probably the same games Raycom had, won't be available to much of anybody. Of course most major ACC games will likely be picked up nationally by ABC/ESPN, but those secondary games would probably only be available to people who subscribe to a premium sports package or stream through ESPN app. As a stop gap, the ACC might let local TV stations in ACC markets simulcast local market games until they get up and running.

But this carriage issue is potentially a real major problem for the ACC Network, as it has been for the Pac-12 Network.

14. Bryan85

Bryan85 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 27, 2007
    Here's why this is important for SEC and other fans of big time college football. As atlantagator86 says above, previously the ACC Network was a patchwork of stations all over the ACC area rather than having a dedicated channel like SEC and The Big? have. In some places, (see Charlotte, NC) the local patchwork member was the CBS affiliate. Their early game, usually the lowest rated match up in the ACC starts at 12:30. The SEC game on CBS, usually the highest ranked match up in The SEC starts at 2:30.

Are we seeing the problem yet? Frequently the dog sh*t Louisville v Weak Forest game, for example, walked all over the 1st quarter of say, Bamer v UGA frequently well past halfway through the quarter. And then when their crap game finally ended the local channel would take advantage of the huge spike in viewers at 2:30 expecting to see 2 highly rated SEC teams play an ran all their local sponsors back to back to back. This lasted about 10 minutes. So.......... i'm very interested when it becomes official, ACC crap football is moved from the local CBS affiliate.