Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What big men will be able to transfer to UF?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jhbyrd, Feb 5, 2019.

1. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You assume that getting a big man who is from another system and who has not played with any of our current roster, will be a match made in Heaven. It doesn't work out that way often. That is a risk. In order to keep the 5 stars coming in happy, they will have to get playing time, so where does that put Locke, Johnson and Nembhard? When you keep recruiting great players for the same position, you create disgruntled personnel. Other great coaches get away with that assembly line recruiting because they WIN!!! When you are doing it and barely cutting 500 every year, people start to question your strategies.

Mann, Lewis, Nembhard, Johnson and Payne. Is that our starting 5 next year? Wow! Depending on a freshman to be the top rebounder on the team? How will Locke react to this? Do we expect Okauru to become the 6th guard off the bench? Really? He could go to 150 teams in the NCAA and start!!!! What happens if Payne twists an ankle. Does Bassett become our default center? Where does Ballard fit in to all this if at all. Is he another sleeper transfer? I wouldn't count that out. His inconsistency is directly DIRECTLY related to the coaching staff's not giving him a leading role and riding with him. You put him in a program with the weight of production is put on his shoulders and he is a 20 point, 8 rebound two blocks and 1.5 steals a game player. But not in White's system.

I think our optimism about next year is grossly inflated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    ^^^^
    What wci says is kind of spot on. Payne is too thin to be an immediate impact guy at the 5. That leaves us with Bassett, with Payne and a possibility of Gak recovering enough to play. Stokes isn't going to be an impact inside guy at UF unless something changes dramatically.

I think next year we see Bassett, KJ and Nembhard starting for sure. Locke is our best our shooter right now and White loves him. Does Lewis get the other spot? Probably. That's nobody over 6'5" except Bassett.

Then what? We will have a bunch of guys in the 6'2" to 6'5" range who all play the same game. Maybe Mann is more of a pg, but we're just going to be running a bunch of 2 guards at big, strong SEC schools. One or two injuries of big guys, Gak not really doing anything, and who plays the 5? Payne? At 215? And who spells him? KJ?

We need some big bodies. Badly. 6'9" and above.

On the other hand, sometimes I think Bassett might be really good next year. And if Gak recovers enough to play 10-12 minutes a game, we'll be ok. Payne can get some solid minutes and maybe even give us some minutes at 4.

Oh well, it's always fun to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    You’re making an awful lot of presumptuous here… Many of which I think will prove wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    WCI and 67 may have stretched a few things but I think they make good points.
    1. Omar Payne will have difficulty as a freshman trying to defend until he can bulk up more. He is very similar to Hayes as a shot blocker but would have no contest in there against the bigs from Tennessee or Kentucky. Early in the season it will be interesting to see who gets the most starts at center either Payne or Bassett.
    2. Eventually Payne will become better than Hayes as a senior but it might take a year or two. He has the potential. He just needs the right players around him to allow his hustle and agility to take over.
    3. Its an unknown at this point if any of the injured big men will be back. Trying to assume what the lineup will look like is limited. Gak and Stokes are very limited. If Stone is not able to play then we must find at least one capable PF that can play as a grad transfer or new recruit.
    4. Locke will still be the starter at the 2 spot next year. Even with all the talent coming in next year, he will still be the best 3 point shooter on the team and an able defender. Mann will get time at both the Point and 2 guard until he settles in.
    5. As the starters for game 1, I think you can safely say its Nembhard, Locke, Lewis, PF ???, Bassett. Major back up time will be Mann, Johnson, and Payne. Johnson probably gets the PF spot but won't know until the roster is set.

5. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    While we will have plenty of scorers on next year's roster, White has had a nice history of immediately working in grad transfers (Barry and Egor). Given UF's great reputation for grad degrees, it is almost unfathomable that we won't be able to rent-a-big or two depending on any additional transfers besides Chase Johnson

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Not too worried about the apparent glut in the back-court. It will work itself out. There is no such thing as recruiting "too good". The best players will earn those minutes and we'll be better for it.

The main issue is White's front court recruiting has been bad. Payne is basically his first "major" C recruit on paper, but he should have been developing another guy for a year or two. Donovan struggled to recruit bigs at times too, but damn at least he usually had a dude in the middle. Coach White has gotten nothing out of the 5. Patrick Young was the only high rated big to have success in Donovans later years, but he locked that spot down for 4 years. Yeguette wasn't much of a stats guy, but he was a hustle player like Hayes. Those teams were great largely because of that guy in the middle, remove Patrick Young from those teams and put Yeguette at the 5 and you are probably looking at 4 years of NIT instead of 4 years of inching closer to the final 4..

From 2017 class - unfortunately Chase Johnson didn't work out and transferred, and Stokes still has the fitness issues. Then in 2018 he literally signed zero bigs. So that's 2 straight classes with almost zero production. Considering Hayes was also a relatively unheralded recruit, yet has been getting major minutes for 4 years with almost no new additions, it should not be surprising we are terrible up front. We should be thankful that at least Hayes has brought health and consistent hustle to the table otherwise the situation would be even more pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Well said Bling. Even though Yeguette and Hayes are different players their lack of effect would still be the same if not for Young along side. I said many times how Hayes is a lacking big man. He lacks another big man to take the attention off him so his hustle play has room to work. The minute you put a body on him or near him the ball gets lost in translation. He's a valuable player but needs that other aspect to make him better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'd like to see Stokes and Hayes on the court together for a few minutes against Vandy, just to see what happens. Stokes at the 5. He's a back-to-the-basket guy with heft, and Hayes can erase a lot of his mistakes on defense. Or maybe Stokes with Bassett at the 4. Bassett can step out and hit jumpers reliably to 15 feet, so that will open up room for Stokes to get the ball in the low post. I dunno. At this point, I'm up for trying any combo. What's the worst that can happen? Okay, in any scenario for anything, the "worst" that can happen is that a rip in the fabric of space-time opens up and destroys the entire Universe, but that's unlikely here. I'm willing to chance it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Has White recruited and signed one power center, big man, who is a proven threat to score inside?

We can have 6 outside sharp shooters, a passing phenom at PG, but if there is no inside guy, we lose multiple games. All great outside shooters, like baseball hitters, have off days.

10. UGator

UGator Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Wonder why it has taken this long to balance the roster, because there doesn't seem to be any inside presence or talent to compete with the top teams. Have injuries been this devastating for the Gators or is it poor recruiting?

11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I just hope UF talks to Precious when it is appropriate. I mean the guy
    is right down the road. I would like to think CMW would have some excellent points to sell. Having said that I have no idea what his handlers, parents and others are putting in his ear and what the staff is dealing with. Nevertheless UF has some players now and coming in that can distribute and run. I would think Payne could see the advantage of picking up another big without feeling threatened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    The lamenting of past classes is rather pointless.
    The fact is... our roster early in white’s career dictated he pursue some “bigs”. And he did. Unfortunately, “impact bigs” represent the most competitive market within the recruiting world. . . and White was thrust into those battles before he had any real footing , let alone time for relationship building. He tried for higher profile “bigs” .... Tyler Cook comes to mind. But he whiffed. But did anyone really expect White to step in for Billy and very quickly land the best frontcourt players in the country?????
    So, we ended with Gak, Chase, Stokes and Bassett. And in addition to that not being the most highly-rated talent... each of those players endured a year+ injury.
    Could we have tried to add a big with this last class? I guess. We had Castleton in the fold, but passed in favor of KJ. Anyone want to argue the merits of that decision?
    Also...let’s remember, the staff recruits these kids at least a year or so in advance. When analyzing our frontcourt a couple years ago... there was no fortelling the late senior season injury to stokes and subsequent conditioning issues; gak’s injury, chase’s concussion parade or Stone’s recent knee blowout. On paper- it looked relatively deep, even if not top tier talent. But Mike wasn’t gonna land the elite bigs at that time... and anyone who had those expectations is simply not dealing in reality.
    And so we got kids who were projects... and the projects were derailed by injury.
    Fast forward... and Hayes, four-year starter is graduating. Mike now has some track record and tenure.. some traction on the trail. And he can sell the opportunity.
    We will roll into next season with a top-5 recruiting class... and one that includes a top 10 nationally rated center.
    And I suspect we will add another.
    But this hand wringing over not landing great centers in white’s first recruiting class or two.... well, duh.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Both.

Early in mike’s tenure... he just didn’t have the footing to land top-tier bigs. That is a highly, highly, highly competitive market.
    So he went after projects. and the projects... all of em... got hurt.

It really is that simple.

14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm not big on Stokes but I'm all for trying another big on the court. If it was Stokes and Hayes I would have Stokes play the 4 on offense and then take the 5 on defense. D doesn't matter as much on 4 or 5 since they switch so much but Stokes has a better shot than Hayes and could get more touches at the 4.

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I’ve been wanting to see him try Hayes and Bassett together. Obviously, managing fouls becomes a big factor.
    He actually did it for a few minutes versus ut. And it was a pretty good segment. Then Bassett committed a foul.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Or better yet, Bassett and Hayes together against some of the bigger front-courts. Those two are at least better conditioned athletes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    He's talking about big men, I don't know what that has to do with Locke (a 2-guard), Johnson (a natural wing) and Nembhard (a point guard)?

We're not talking about recruiting players for spots we already have a lot of competition for - we're talking about big men, an area we can all agree has been lacking the last 2 years and has suffered serious attrition though injuries.

We NEED at least 1-2 more big men. The grad transfer market is the best way to get one 1. with experience 2. immediately without sitting a year

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I think we should put Mike Okauru on Andrew Fava's shoulders and get the combo a super long jersey with some covert eyeholes cut out for Drew. Works for kids in cartoons. Stupid adults will never figure it out.

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Colin Castleton

I looked up Collin Castleton (C 6'11 215) who is playing with Michigan. While Castleton has good size, he hasn't played that much for the Wolverines. Keyonte Johnson (6.8 ppg, 5.5 rpg) had a much, more impactful effect for the Gators this year.

Believe it or not, next year's team will actually have two top 10 rated centers:
    - Stokes was rated as the #9 center in his class (2017).
    - Payne was rated as the #10 Center (2019).
    College Basketball Recruiting Schools - ESPN

Stokes just needs to be self-motivated enough to use UF's nutritionists and strength training coaches to get back into playing shape. He is going to need a lot of self-discipline to achieve those goals for both himself and his team.

In the past, we've seen former UF players like Udonis Haslem & Demetri Hill shed weight to become great players that led UF to Final4's.
    ==========================

Next year, Florida will actually have six players rated around the top 10 at their respective positions:
    SF (#2): Scottie Lewis
    PG (#7): Tre Mann
    PG (#8): Andrew Nembhard
    SG (#11): Noah Locke
    C (#10): Omar Payne
    C (#9): Isaiah Stokes
    ---------------------------------------
    SF (#19): Keyontae Johnson
    SG (#15): DeAndre Ballard
    ----------------------------------------
    If Florida can add another effective PF or center to the team next year, it could be another pretty good team.

For whatever reasons, Florida may have to just to take their lumps this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    If we can get 4 guards who can actually shoot like Locke, then we can trade our threes for the others two's. It won't matter how tall we were.