Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What big men will be able to transfer to UF?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jhbyrd, Feb 5, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Well . . . I'll answer a question with a question:

Why didn't you want me posting that information at the time?

2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Because you were talking about a guy's career before any official word came out. There was also a rumor that Mike White was racist, so that made the whole situation cloudy for me.

3. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    .... and no potential grad- transfers, that I am aware of, have officially announced their intentions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Racist?! Hah! His all black coaching staff says otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    That whole ordeal was so stupid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Their playing careers aren't on the line or anything though.

7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't think it would be good for any player . . . who is in the middle of his season . . . to have speculation and rumor about his opting to not return.

And mine would be that. . . speculation.

When the grad transfers make known their intentions . . . I will absolutely weigh-in on the conversation.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Actually, I’m lovin this. He knows! He knows! He Knows!

9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    If that player has already expressed interest openly enough that internet message board users comment on it, then why exactly would that player care.

10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    LOL!

Honestly. . . it is not a scenario in which anyone can really know. These kids haven't made known their plans. This isn't like recruiting... in which you KNOW they are going to play college ball, and its just a matter of "where". Most potential grad transfers will stick.

So, I would be speculating. But, when the names come out . . . I think that speculation becomes much more targeted. And I'll chime in.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    6'8" 214 isn't terrible size for a true freshmen.

Payne is the guy who has true C size with his 7'4" wingspan. While it would be nice to get another true big in the middle or a physical beast like Egbunu or Patrick Young, it might not be realistic at this stage in the 2019 class and with a C prospect already committed . We just need a guy whose actually good, has hands, and willing to compete inside and also hope that Payne develops into that true C. I'd be totally OK with us going after a guy with PF size, and a legit 6'8" 214 is good for that. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Maybe he wouldn't.

I haven't seen a player who has openly expressed interest so to create internet buzz.

13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Hurt is a great player. He was down to KU and UK, I thought. . . . and seemed bound for Jayhawks. I don't know if that has changed.

14. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    I’m sure Berry and Egor had “advisors” exploring options, but I don’t recall anything becoming public until well after the end of the season. If we had a player who could be a potential grad transfer, would we want him thinking and maneuvering about that, or about our team?

• Like Like x 1
  15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007

We have one . . .Keith Stone.

I haven't heard anything about his intentions. . . . and I am happy that is the case.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Is this part of the research @Efawcett7 is doing?

17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    He is researching guys who could be grad transfers if they chose to exercise the option. Most will not.

18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Stone could be out all of next year. For an ACL, I assume at minimum he would be rehabbing until December/January. But we've had bad luck with guys targeting January return dates, and honestly it's probably a bad idea anyway to rush a guy back. Even if he gets "cleared to play" it's probably not wise to just throw him into the mix that late in a season.

The reality is if we want to see Stone in a Gator uniform again it would probably require him to seek a 6th year. I hoped that with Egbunu too. If he's not going to seek a 6th year, might as well give him medical hardship so he can stay in school if he wants and UF can use the scholly right away. Or if he wants to grad transfer he can do that too. Problem is schools might not want to take him with the uncertainty about a 6th year. So that's why it might be prudent to stick around and target a 6th year at UF.

He might not have thought about any of that yet though. Has to be a shock to just have a season end abruptly like that and then know you have a year of rehab ahead of you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here is a whisper of hope that we may still have time to lure some interest from Precious Achiuwa. Word I hear is he is focused on Seton Hall and not UConn. I'm surprised by that and thus makes me think he is still open on his decision. I doubt Precious has any time to think about any of this until after Montverde finishes their post season run.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    We need two more bigs with Payne coming in. I don’t won’t to hear we don’t have room. Make room, we need depth at people at least 6’9”. Think Payne fouling out, injuries whatever, let’s not go into next season without depth at the c, PF, positions. White can’t afford to go into another brutal schedule without some tough players. Think Keyontae Johnson.